The Student Room Group

Law Insurance choice - please advise.

Hi
My daughter is an international student and holds conditional offers for Law LLB from UCL (A*AA condition), Bristol (A*AA condition) and Nottingham (AAA condition).

UCL is her firm choice so there is no debate there.

For insurance choice, logic dictates to be safe and choose Nottingham in case her final grades are only AAA. However, she prefers Bristol over Nottingham. Is it possible that if she misses A*AA (and gets AAA) , Bristol may still consider her ? I have been reading that sometimes unis still maintain the offer if you miss the grade narrowly. How true it is?

In summary, is it worth the risk to choose Bristol as insurance OR should we stay conservative with Nottingham ?

Any insights will be appreciated

Thx
Original post by manishk13
Hi
My daughter is an international student and holds conditional offers for Law LLB from UCL (A*AA condition), Bristol (A*AA condition) and Nottingham (AAA condition).

UCL is her firm choice so there is no debate there.

For insurance choice, logic dictates to be safe and choose Nottingham in case her final grades are only AAA. However, she prefers Bristol over Nottingham. Is it possible that if she misses A*AA (and gets AAA) , Bristol may still consider her ? I have been reading that sometimes unis still maintain the offer if you miss the grade narrowly. How true it is?

In summary, is it worth the risk to choose Bristol as insurance OR should we stay conservative with Nottingham ?

Any insights will be appreciated

Thx

I believe that law at Bristol is in great demand, which makes it less likely that they would be generous on results day. I don't know whether the international status would make any difference.

Perhaps someone knowledgeable such as @McGinger could help?
Bristol would be a highly risky insurance choice in my opinion as I have never seen them in Clearing for Law and would not expect them to accept people with AAA this year. Though anything’s possible, your daughter would be far safer Insuring Nottingham.
Is it possible that if she misses A*AA (and gets AAA) , Bristol may still consider her ?

My advice is always 'pick the two Unis you want'.
Bristol is more likely to accept 'near miss' to fill any spaces because it never puts Law into Clearing.
If your daughter just misses UCL its still very likely that Bristol will take her. No guarentees but its worth the risk. Having a high grade offer is highly motivating to put in those extra hours of revision - for both those Unis - and if she doesnt have Bristol as her Insurance, she'll always wonder what might have happened if only she had done.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
My advice is always 'pick the two Unis you want'.
Bristol is more likely to accept 'near miss' to fill any spaces because it never puts Law into Clearing.
If your daughter just misses UCL its still very likely that Bristol will take her. No guarentees but its worth the risk. Having a high grade offer is highly motivating to put in those extra hours of revision - for both those Unis - and if she doesnt have Bristol as her Insurance, she'll always wonder what might have happened if only she had done.

Thanks for your inputs but isn't the idea of insurance to prepare for the worst case scenario ? What if she chooses UCL (Firm)& Bristol (Insurance) and ends up losing both if final grades are AAA and Bristol does not offer? We are totally screwed, right ? By the way, she likes both Bristol and Nottingham , just that Bristol seems a notch ahead but given the worst case choice between LOSING BOTH and SETTLING ON NOTTINGHAM , she will prefer the later.
We are totally screwed, right ?

Who is going to Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending