The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford Foundation Year 2022 applicants

Who else applied this year to the foundation year?
How do you think your application went?
What sort of grades did u get previously/predicted?
What subject did you apply for?
How are you feeling overall about it?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I also applied to the foundation year! I applied for maths and I have grades AAA (already have my a levels from last year). I'm really scared about how my application went as I had previously been rejected from Oxford but for a different course before interview. I'm honestly so so so nervous, but I already have an offer for a place that I absolutely love and would be so happy to go to, but I just think the fy would be so much more beneficial for me as I'm not very confident even writing this is making my hands shake! tbh I would be okay with a rejection after a few months, but I would really like an interview just to prove myself if that makes sense - and then hopefully get a place *fingers crossed*. VERY scared for this coming week. How about you?
Original post by 320ma22
Hi! I also applied to the foundation year! I applied for maths and I have grades AAA (already have my a levels from last year). I'm really scared about how my application went as I had previously been rejected from Oxford but for a different course before interview. I'm honestly so so so nervous, but I already have an offer for a place that I absolutely love and would be so happy to go to, but I just think the fy would be so much more beneficial for me as I'm not very confident even writing this is making my hands shake! tbh I would be okay with a rejection after a few months, but I would really like an interview just to prove myself if that makes sense - and then hopefully get a place *fingers crossed*. VERY scared for this coming week. How about you?

same situation as you, i already have my a-levels and now got a space at another uni which im fine with but the fy at oxford just sounds perfect for me. i haven't done any academic writing since my a levels so it would be so good to ease into my degree which is very intense (law). in the emails they said we should be getting decisions on monday and i'm so nervous !! wishing you so much luck
Original post by annalise.m
same situation as you, i already have my a-levels and now got a space at another uni which im fine with but the fy at oxford just sounds perfect for me. i haven't done any academic writing since my a levels so it would be so good to ease into my degree which is very intense (law). in the emails they said we should be getting decisions on monday and i'm so nervous !! wishing you so much luck

so glad that someone else is feeling like me!! I haven't even done academic writing since GCSE!!!! for some reason I took all stem subjects :// I really found the preparation for undergrad studies interesting and that's like the biggest reason id like to go and lmh is SO beautiful I got to visit last month ! its gonna be a really scary couple of days tho, good luck to you too hope we both receive some good news soon !
Original post by 320ma22

Hey, I'm also in the same situation as you I already have my A-level grades and got accepted at all my other uni applications however I want to go on the foundation year more than any of the other places I have applied to due to a number of reasons. Since I applied for PPE I had an admissions test so tbh that kinda took my mind off of being nervous and was more consumed by preparing for it. Don't worry though I am sure that everyone who has applied feels nervous just like you do. I too also really want to get an interview to just try and prove myself as best I can and then if I get rejected after that at least I know i tried my best.
Good Luck! let me know if you get an interview! :smile:
Original post by 320ma22
so glad that someone else is feeling like me!! I haven't even done academic writing since GCSE!!!! for some reason I took all stem subjects :// I really found the preparation for undergrad studies interesting and that's like the biggest reason id like to go and lmh is SO beautiful I got to visit last month ! its gonna be a really scary couple of days tho, good luck to you too hope we both receive some good news soon !

Hey, Looks like were all in the same boat feeling the same things. Good Luck!!!
Original post by 53184301934
Hey, I'm also in the same situation as you I already have my A-level grades and got accepted at all my other uni applications however I want to go on the foundation year more than any of the other places I have applied to due to a number of reasons. Since I applied for PPE I had an admissions test so tbh that kinda took my mind off of being nervous and was more consumed by preparing for it. Don't worry though I am sure that everyone who has applied feels nervous just like you do. I too also really want to get an interview to just try and prove myself as best I can and then if I get rejected after that at least I know i tried my best.
Good Luck! let me know if you get an interview! :smile:

omg how did the admissions test go what was it on? when I saw in the email that the ppe applicants had an admissions test I was like "thank you so much god" pahahah !
(edited 1 year ago)
Honestly I was so scared. As soon as I saw the email though I looked through TSA (the general Oxford admissions test) past papers as I figured it would likely be similar to this. It kind of was not entirely but like half was similar lots of like slightly unusual maths questions and also a bunch of questions where you had to to kinda interpret what a sentence or passage was saying. Honestly went so well though I was so surprised I understood all of the questions and so think I did well. So in the end hopefully worked in my favour.

Just out of curiosity do you know anyone else who applied for the foundation year because in total including you 2 on this thread I have found 4 people through the student room and reddit and everyone is pretty nervous but the other 2 not on this thread seem way less bothered about getting in than we do.

Original post by 320ma22
omg how did the admissions test go what was it on? when I saw in the email that the pep applicants had an admissions test I was like "thank you so much god" pahahah !
Honestly I was so scared. As soon as I saw the email though I looked through TSA (the general Oxford admissions test) past papers as I figured it would likely be similar to this. It kind of was not entirely but like half was similar lots of like slightly unusual maths questions and also a bunch of questions where you had to to kinda interpret what a sentence or passage was saying. Honestly went so well though I was so surprised I understood all of the questions and so think I did well. So in the end hopefully worked in my favour.

Just out of curiosity do you know anyone else who applied for the foundation year because in total including you 2 on this thread I have found 4 people through the student room and reddit and everyone is pretty nervous but the other 2 not on this thread seem way less bothered about getting in than we do.

firstly that's great about your admissions test !!!
I don't know anyone else who applied. up until today I was trying to avoid finding other people who applied in case I didn't get in. but now im like doesn't matter if I don't get in - sure ill probs cry for a year - but ill be happy at my alternative! (will be embarrassing if I get rejected now) I wish I knew more people... apparently like 200-300 people apply each year (at least for the past couple of years) so im shocked there haven't been more people on here ? but from the couple of people from here you both seem really lovely :smile:
edit: what courses did the other two apply for?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 320ma22
firstly that's great about your admissions test !!!
I don't know anyone else who applied. up until today I was trying to avoid finding other people who applied in case I didn't get in. but now im like doesn't matter if I don't get in - sure ill probs cry for a year - but ill be happy at my alternative! (will be embarrassing if I get rejected now) I wish I knew more people... apparently like 200-300 people apply each year (at least for the past couple of years) so im shocked there haven't been more people on here ? but from the couple of people from here you both seem really lovely :smile:
edit: what courses did the other two apply for?

Thankyou :smile:
Honestly feel literally the same about getting rejected because like there are other things you can do but I just honestly have fallen in love with the idea of going on the foundation year it literally sounds so good haha.
What is you alternative??
Same honestly the other people I have met send like 10 word responses and barely seem to care about getting in glad you two sound interested and interesting (would be so cool if we both get accepted). Yeah I heard 300 last year but who knows if that is correct. I mean lots of them won't care that much about it and will put in low effort or just don't want to/cant be bothered to find other people online who applied.
As a side note if you really are worried just remember like even though there is a lot of people applying realistically some wont actually be eligible, some will have written poor essays like there are so many reasons why lots will not get in and as long as you have put in some effort the odds are actually not to crazy and it is most certainly not outside the realms of possibility for you to get accepted so do not worry.
One of them I literally have no idea what they applied for all I know is they applied, the other one applied for law.

Edit; Also this is really random but since you said you did A-levels last year (same as me) I just wandered what have you been up to on your gap year??
(edited 1 year ago)
Honestly feel literally the same about getting rejected because like there are other things you can do but I just honestly have fallen in love with the idea of going on the foundation year it literally sounds so good haha.
Same honestly the other people I have met send like 10 word responses and barely seem to care about getting in glad you two sound interested and interesting (would be so cool if we both get accepted). Yeah I heard 300 last year but who knows if that is correct. I mean lots of them won't care that much about it and will put in low effort or just don't want to/cant be bothered to find other people online who applied.
As a side note if you really are worried just remember like even though there is a lot of people applying realistically some wont actually be eligible, some will have written poor essays like there are so many reasons why lots will not get in and as long as you have put in some effort the odds are actually not to crazy and it is most certainly not outside the realms of possibility for you to get accepted so do not worry.
One of them I literally have no idea what they applied for all I know is they applied, the other one applied for law.

Edit; Also this is really random but since you said you did A-levels last year (same as me) I just wandered what have you been up to on your gap year??

Literally the foundation year is the perfect course!!! my alternative is maths and philosophy at York which I'm so excited for anyway as they also have a collegiate system but a little different and I really want that community feel!! where did you apply to through Ucas and where's ur top choice?
And thank you very much but I always worry what if my essay was terrible I'm not a good writer at all! my sentences tend to come out like absolute garbage !!
I actually am at uni right now ... funny story I was going to take a gap year and apply for medicine/natural sciences, but I did a quiz telling me to do astrophysics so on results day I applied through clearing for astrophysics at Cardiff uni and got in - I didn't even do physics a level. I hate my course with a passion the only bit I enjoy is the maths modules and I also hate my uni its really lonely and my only friends are my friends from home who also came to Cardiff... that's why I wanna go somewhere with like a community feel which is why I really like lmh and York!! it was only a few months ago I was like "wait I wanna do maths" but I never considered it bc I was a lot worse than all my friends who also did maths ://
how did you spend your gap year/how are you spending your gap year?
and I agree it would be soooooo cool if we got in !
(edited 1 year ago)

you guys are so lovely !! i also appreciate lengthy paragraphs especially when you both expressed so many questions ive also been feeling. apparently the oxford fy is so much more competitive but i've yet to see any (apart from you both) who have applied. i'm currently in my gap year and i actually just got a job in a hospital which isn't really academic at all and not similar to the degree i wanna do (law) but i still love it, what about you guys!! and because its been soooo long since my a-levels, if i get an interview im so stressed about when they ask for my personal statement and subjects because truthfully i can't remember much.
also, since (sorry if i've gotten this a bit muddled up) you both are on a gap year/ started uni like myself, do you feel a bit kind of nervous that by the time we do our actual degree we would have been in the same year group as people 2 years younger? i mean oxford is a dream but idk how to feel about having friends who are so much younger.
lastly, i feel like people have actually swayed more towards the new cambridge fy that was introduced this year since theres a lot more people on that thread or a lot of people have applied to the oxford fy but just less nervous than us.

edit: congrats about your admissions test toooo, wishing you guys so much luck !!!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
you guys are so lovely !! i also appreciate lengthy paragraphs especially when you both expressed so many questions ive also been feeling. apparently the oxford fy is so much more competitive but i've yet to see any (apart from you both) who have applied. i'm currently in my gap year and i actually just got a job in a hospital which isn't really academic at all and not similar to the degree i wanna do (law) but i still love it, what about you guys!! and because its been soooo long since my a-levels, if i get an interview im so stressed about when they ask for my personal statement and subjects because truthfully i can't remember much.
also, since (sorry if i've gotten this a bit muddled up) you both are on a gap year/ started uni like myself, do you feel a bit kind of nervous that by the time we do our actual degree we would have been in the same year group as people 2 years younger? i mean oxford is a dream but idk how to feel about having friends who are so much younger.
lastly, i feel like people have actually swayed more towards the new cambridge fy that was introduced this year since theres a lot more people on that thread or a lot of people have applied to the oxford fy but just less nervous than us.

edit: congrats about your admissions test toooo, wishing you guys so much luck !!!!!

im SO glad you brought up the fact that we'll be two years older bc that's been sitting on my mind for AGES! like my friends in first year now will be in third year by the time we're even in first year!!! it worries me a little, but I do actually think it'll be worth it for various reasons. but I have a friend who's at Oxford right now and apparently you don't really talk about if you've done a gap year or not/its not really known - even now at Cardiff uni I only know one person who I know for sure has done a gap year.
also yeah I have seen the Cambridge fy student room chat and there's SO many People - I think its more appealing bc its not subject specific so you can practically do any humanity/social science and even better you don't have to reapply to actually get into Cambridge! which is something else that worries me what if I get onto the fy and don't get into Oxford lol ://
also working at the hospital sounds fun but hella scary !! but I'm also scared abt interview bc I honestly cannot remember half the maths and chemistry I studied but eh we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, right???????
Original post by RSADH
I applied for maths too, good luck for next week!

good luck to you too!!! can't believe it's so soon!
Hey, im michael and I applied to the foundation year to read english. I feel okay with my application, im not confident about what tomorrow's outcome may be but im not concerned it will be bad either. My referees gave me 3 a*s I think which is what im predicted for Alevel. I really do hope I get an interview.
Good luck everyone <3
Original post by michael_revision
Hey, im michael and I applied to the foundation year to read english. I feel okay with my application, im not confident about what tomorrow's outcome may be but im not concerned it will be bad either. My referees gave me 3 a*s I think which is what im predicted for Alevel. I really do hope I get an interview.
Good luck everyone <3

wishing you luck for this week too!! :smile:
Original post by 320ma22
im SO glad you brought up the fact that we'll be two years older bc that's been sitting on my mind for AGES! like my friends in first year now will be in third year by the time we're even in first year!!! it worries me a little, but I do actually think it'll be worth it for various reasons. but I have a friend who's at Oxford right now and apparently you don't really talk about if you've done a gap year or not/its not really known - even now at Cardiff uni I only know one person who I know for sure has done a gap year.
also yeah I have seen the Cambridge fy student room chat and there's SO many People - I think its more appealing bc its not subject specific so you can practically do any humanity/social science and even better you don't have to reapply to actually get into Cambridge! which is something else that worries me what if I get onto the fy and don't get into Oxford lol ://
also working at the hospital sounds fun but hella scary !! but I'm also scared abt interview bc I honestly cannot remember half the maths and chemistry I studied but eh we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, right???????

Hey I just read both of your messages so like this is for both of you
In terms of like having older classmates honestly im not that bothered by the idea of due to the fact i'm born in august so i have always been the youngest and have always disliked it tbh. But like I don't think it is a big deal lots of people take gap years and from the friends I have visited at Uni a lot of them have flat mates who have taken atleast 1 gap year and some multiple so don't worry that much being 1-2 years older than some people really won't be a big deal but i do get it is something that can feel worrying.
In terms of applying to undergrad at oxford also don't worry the tutors literally help you apply and write your essay plus almost 90% of foundation year students at oxford go on to undergrad so the odds are pretty good.
I feel the same about interview im pretty scared plus there are so many things they could ask the list is endless.
on my gap year atm aswell and really haven't done anything particularly noteworthy but some of my friends also took gap years so we hang out probably 5 days a week.

edit; completely forgot to add i applied to cardiff, bath, plymouth and Henley at reading
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RSADH
I applied for maths too, good luck for next week

Good luck to you too!
Original post by michael_revision
Good luck everyone <3

Good luck to you, can't believe it is tommorrow jheez
Hey I just read both of your messages so like this is for both of you
In terms of like having older classmates honestly im not that bothered by the idea of due to the fact i'm born in august so i have always been the youngest and have always disliked it tbh. But like I don't think it is a big deal lots of people take gap years and from the friends I have visited at Uni a lot of them have flat mates who have taken atleast 1 gap year and some multiple so don't worry that much being 1-2 years older than some people really won't be a big deal but i do get it is something that can feel worrying.
In terms of applying to undergrad at oxford also don't worry the tutors literally help you apply and write your essay plus almost 90% of foundation year students at oxford go on to undergrad so the odds are pretty good.
I feel the same about interview im pretty scared plus there are so many things they could ask the list is endless.
on my gap year atm aswell and really haven't done anything particularly noteworthy but some of my friends also took gap years so we hang out probably 5 days a week.

edit; completely forgot to add i applied to cardiff, bath, plymouth and Henley at reading

that's so weird I'm at Cardiff right now for uni and I'm from Plymouth!!! and I wanted to go to bath but didn't have the grades (doesn't matter now I love York)! small world right?

Quick Reply