The Student Room Group

GCSE English Study Group 2021-2022

Poll

Which exam board are you taking?

Welcome to the GCSE English Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec Language // AQA Advance Information Language

AQA Spec Literature

Edexcel Spec Language // Edexcel Advance Information Language

Edexcel Spec Literature

OCR Spec Language // OCR Advance Information Language

OCR Spec Literature

Eduqas Spec Language // Eduqas Advance Information Language

Eduqas Spec Literature

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!
(edited 2 years ago)
Best tips to always do or something to always talk about for all the language questions fir both papers for aqa?
Reply 2
i really like apples
Reply 3
Original post by whds
i really like apples

like i really like them
Original post by Michael Kyle
Best tips to always do or something to always talk about for all the language questions fir both papers for aqa?

usually, they give you a prompt for the question 5 for the creative writing and formal writing
just do what works best for you
if you have done past papers and mocks work out what went well
good luck
Original post by Mythical Pingu

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

AQA Spec Literature

Edexcel Spec Literature

OCR Spec Literature

Eduqas Spec Literature

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

yes we can.
Original post by Mythical Pingu

AQA Spec Literature

Edexcel Spec Literature

OCR Spec Literature

Eduqas Spec Literature

Hey everyone, I got two nines in english language and literature so I thought I'd leave some tips for language!!

Firstly, you MUST remember that you're writing about a moment in time. Don't start writing a story under any circumstance. Just imagine you're writing about an event within a 5 minute time frame. Be as descriptive as possible to bulk out the response - for example if the question is "write about a time you felt scared", talk about how you felt - was your heart racing? Were you sweating or breathing heavily? Could you smell anything or hear any noise?

Just nitpick every single thing you say, breaking it right down, for example, instead of saying "breathing heavily", you could say "my throat was tightening with uneasiness, each intake of air lingering in my throat before reluctantly being released into the eerie stillness of the night". On that note, in terms of revision, you need to try and up your game in terms of vocab. Make vocab banks, try to use them in day to day life. Try and come up with some high level sentences that you can manipulate into any scenario just in case you get truly stumped on exam day.

Before you even start writing the response in the exam, you could even plan it out before you actually start writing - a beginning, middle and end. (Bear in mind that we still aren't writing a story, so avoid sequencing your sentences like "this happened, then this happened", etc)

If you need anymore help, please message me as I'll be happy to give any tips or answer any other queries
AQA
Original post by sophiemontero
Hey everyone, I got two nines in english language and literature so I thought I'd leave some tips for language!!

Firstly, you MUST remember that you're writing about a moment in time. Don't start writing a story under any circumstance. Just imagine you're writing about an event within a 5 minute time frame. Be as descriptive as possible to bulk out the response - for example if the question is "write about a time you felt scared", talk about how you felt - was your heart racing? Were you sweating or breathing heavily? Could you smell anything or hear any noise?

Just nitpick every single thing you say, breaking it right down, for example, instead of saying "breathing heavily", you could say "my throat was tightening with uneasiness, each intake of air lingering in my throat before reluctantly being released into the eerie stillness of the night". On that note, in terms of revision, you need to try and up your game in terms of vocab. Make vocab banks, try to use them in day to day life. Try and come up with some high level sentences that you can manipulate into any scenario just in case you get truly stumped on exam day.

Before you even start writing the response in the exam, you could even plan it out before you actually start writing - a beginning, middle and end. (Bear in mind that we still aren't writing a story, so avoid sequencing your sentences like "this happened, then this happened", etc)

If you need anymore help, please message me as I'll be happy to give any tips or answer any other queries

thank you and well done for the 9s!!!
Well done on ur grades. I'm really panicking..please can u help me with my descriptive ..cie eng language igcse. thank u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending