The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science Study Group 2021-2022

Poll

Which exam board are you taking?

Welcome to the GCSE Computer Science Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec // AQA Advance Information

Edexcel Spec // Edexcel Advance Information

OCR Spec // OCR Advance Information

Eduqas Spec // Eduqas Advance Information

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, a little late but what revision guides do you use for GCSE OCR Computer Science?
Original post by xD29
Hey, a little late but what revision guides do you use for GCSE OCR Computer Science?

I use the cgp guides
Reply 3
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I use the cgp guides

Does the cgp have exam questions too? I only have a revision guide one and i need exam practice
Original post by g88
Does the cgp have exam questions too? I only have a revision guide one and i need exam practice

They have a workbook for it such search up computer science CGP workbook
Reply 5
Hey guys!
For anyone doing OCR gcse computing, I need some help!

I don't get the structure or what to write for the last question on impacts of technology and stuff.
I feel like I've written the correct thing- then I get like 2 marks out of 8
Can you guys give some examples of what to write on a question like this:

People often want to buy the most up-to-date smartphones, even though the smartphone they
own still works.
Discuss the impact of people wanting to upgrade to the latest smartphone.
In your answer, you might consider the impact on:
smartphone users
cultural issues
ethical issues
environmental issues.

(this is a practice question I found)
I know about e waste for environmental but my teacher very briefly touched on this question and I just can't wrap my head around it
Many thanks if you can help!
Original post by Teeg_22
Hey guys!
For anyone doing OCR gcse computing, I need some help!

I don't get the structure or what to write for the last question on impacts of technology and stuff.
I feel like I've written the correct thing- then I get like 2 marks out of 8
Can you guys give some examples of what to write on a question like this:

People often want to buy the most up-to-date smartphones, even though the smartphone they
own still works.
Discuss the impact of people wanting to upgrade to the latest smartphone.
In your answer, you might consider the impact on:
smartphone users
cultural issues
ethical issues
environmental issues.

(this is a practice question I found)
I know about e waste for environmental but my teacher very briefly touched on this question and I just can't wrap my head around it
Many thanks if you can help!

so you could talk about how the icnrease leads to more waste being produced as more iphones will be thrown away meaning that it will damage the environment, also would lead to more companies spying on more people as they track what theyre doing through the phones, cultural issues would be how waste would be produced in other less developed countries that would expose children to toxic chemicals as they're searching is landfills (hipe that made sense lol) . Also might pose risks to smart phones users as it could lead to cyberbullying on social media maybe or them getting more addicted to their phone causing breakdown in mental health , just a few things but hope that helped!
Reply 7
so you could talk about how the icnrease leads to more waste being produced as more iphones will be thrown away meaning that it will damage the environment, also would lead to more companies spying on more people as they track what theyre doing through the phones, cultural issues would be how waste would be produced in other less developed countries that would expose children to toxic chemicals as they're searching is landfills (hipe that made sense lol) . Also might pose risks to smart phones users as it could lead to cyberbullying on social media maybe or them getting more addicted to their phone causing breakdown in mental health , just a few things but hope that helped!

That has helped SO much, Thankyou!!! I really appreciate your help :smile: I need to go write this down ahaha
Original post by Teeg_22
That has helped SO much, Thankyou!!! I really appreciate your help :smile: I need to go write this down ahaha

all in a days work bestie yw lol , tbh if u know what to right these questions are an easy 8 marks , i love it when they come up in a paper lol
Reply 9
all in a days work bestie yw lol , tbh if u know what to right these questions are an easy 8 marks , i love it when they come up in a paper lol

ahaha I rely on my programming to boost up my grade because the theory is so much to remember lol
I get to the last question on the theory and im like- I know its 8 marks but I cant be asked to waffle my way through this AHAHA
Original post by Teeg_22
ahaha I rely on my programming to boost up my grade because the theory is so much to remember lol
I get to the last question on the theory and im like- I know its 8 marks but I cant be asked to waffle my way through this AHAHA

for me its the other way around lmao , and yeah can definitely relate as icba eitherrrrr gurl pls
Reply 11
for me its the other way around lmao , and yeah can definitely relate as icba eitherrrrr gurl plsE

The theory I find harder but it takes me less time cause if I don't get it, I just guess and move on pshhh It's slightly worrying when you're finished like 40 minutes in after guessing some of the paper and then just sit there while everyone scribbles away ahaha but honestly if i didnt have that programming my grades would be a hell of a lot lower lmao
Original post by Teeg_22
The theory I find harder but it takes me less time cause if I don't get it, I just guess and move on pshhh It's slightly worrying when you're finished like 40 minutes in after guessing some of the paper and then just sit there while everyone scribbles away ahaha but honestly if i didnt have that programming my grades would be a hell of a lot lower lmao

lmao can relate, I really need to start revising programming oop the fact i havent deserves ELECTRIC CHAIR
Reply 13
lmao can relate, I really need to start revising programming oop the fact i havent deserves ELECTRIC CHAIR

Literally! That's me with theory rn after realising I did NOTHING over the Easter break and I cant remember a thing AHAHAH
I already wrote up loads of notes for programming start of this year/end of this year. Really as long as I can remember which is python which is reference language - i should be fine - I hope LMAO
Tonight It hit me that paper one is in LESS than 4 weeks and I don't know anything- oops so I signed up to this site cause I remember it having the answers i needed before AHAHA
Reply 14
Paper one is soon guys! I think it's like 23 24 days so
Original post by mesub
Paper one is soon guys! I think it's like 23 24 days so

Don't forget to check out the GCSE Exam Discussions thread to find your exams and see what other people are saying!

MP :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Mythical Pingu
Don't forget to check out the A-level Exam Discussions thread to find your exams and see what other people are saying!

MP :smile:

I think you meant the GCSE one :smile:
Original post by mesub
I think you meant the GCSE one :smile:

Thanks! Sorted it :smile:
Anyone else cramming over this weekend? ahaha
Reply 19
Original post by Teeg_22
Anyone else cramming over this weekend? ahaha

Well not [italics]cramming[/italics] but yes I will ensure that I have any little gaps filled in before the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending