Too easy to get into university Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jimmy Hill
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Who else thinks that it is too easy to get into university? I think that there should be a minimum entry requirement of BBB at A-level; people who get grades below this obviously will not derive any benefit from a university education. A-levels are not that hard and if you achieve anything below BBB at A-level you are obviously quite stupid.
Taldarion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you need to be shot
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
you need to be shot
I agree, lol.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A few points:
-Good grades at A-Level are not necessarily an indicator of intelligence. Neither will intelligence ensure good grades.
-There are sometimes extreme circumstances which explain why someone did relatively poorly.
-Not everyone is super intelligent or has the motivation to do well at A-Level. They should still be able to pursue a course they are interested in which leads to a satisfying career.
-I don't think BCCC in something like Math, FM, Physics and Chemistry is terrible by any means. Would you deny them access to university?
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if you achieve anything below BBB at A-level you are obviously quite stupid.
Thanks for insulting practically every person i know that isn't a teacher.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Do not feed the troll everyone. Just let it go.

Oh by the way, i'm doing medicine with grades of less than BBB so you can go and stick your ignorant comment up your bum and smoke it.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everybody has the right to go to university. They will have a chance to succeed in university if they don't have that good grades. Some people who went to university with medicore grades, get out of uni with a good degree.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some courses may seem too easy to go get into like ones requiring EE, but you have to consider external and enivronmental factors. There are many reasons why people may not do well at A level, maybe they have to look after their kids or have sick parents to see to day and out. Maybe they have some kind of learning difficulties which affects their ability to a bit.

I don't like lazy people going to university that annoys me, they are pain to work with and they can drag you down to their level. I would much rather offer a place to a hard worker with poor A levels and a lazy one with good A levels. At degree level unless a lazy person mends their ways they are not going to do that well due to much greater work load.

Jimmy I am guessing like most people who make these stupid threads you're not even at university yet.

Some of the brightest people on my course who are expecting to get a first actually have no A levels at all, they did a foundation course. They are much better than most the people who came straight from six form, this because they are mature students who value education more.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Very well said.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's a priority to get rid of poor courses than to get rid of people with poor A-Levels.
I do think it's a pity that subjects like Maths, Physics and Chemistry are struggling while people elect to pursue less important subjects.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
I think it's a priority to get rid of poor courses than to get rid of people with poor A-Levels.
I do think it's a pity that subjects like Maths, Physics and Chemistry are struggling while people elect to pursue less important subjects.
Yet another arogant person who has yet to go university who has no idea what university is all about (these days) and has no idea about the educational system in general.

If the country was run by people like you this country would have a very limited post graduate market and a lot of companies will not bother setting up branches in the UK because people don't have the skills they need.

Define a less important subject.
Define poor A levels.

Also for you information science undergraduates are actually increasing.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Which is why Exeter is closing its Chemistry department, Newcastle its Physics deptarment. :rolleyes:
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yet another arogant person
I'm not at all arrogant. Use words to express important information rather than to make yourself sound more impressive please.

who has yet to go university who has no idea what university is all about (these days) and has no idea about the educational system in general.
I think the whole purpose of university shouldn't be distorted. It should be primarily focused on learning a challenging new subject to gain skills important to a future career, rather than the current trend where many more people are going merely to consume large quantities of alcohol and have a good time.

If the country was run by people like you this country would have a very limited post graduate market
Perhaps it would be a good idea to limit our priorities to where they are needed and prevent people from wasting the time of themselves and others. If the country were run by people like me then perhaps we wouldn't be harassing scientists and struggling to obtain science teachers for our schocols.

and a lot of companies will not bother setting up branches in the UK because people don't have the skills they need.
Like a degree in media studies? Hmm.

Define a less important subject.
One which satisfies the following criteria:
-Little use for the future.
-Doesn't provide intellectual stimulation.
-Studied mainly because it's perceived as less difficult and thus the students think they can have a good time.

Define poor A levels.
Read my above post. I fully understand that there are situations which mean people don't achieve the grades they are capable of. I myself am from a relatively poor state school and see people failing to achieve their potential constantly.

Not as quickly as we need, or as fast as graduates of other courses.
Too many universities are downsizing or closing important science departments while less important courses are flourishing.
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some courses may seem too easy to go get into like ones requiring EE, but you have to consider external and enivronmental factors. There are many reasons why people may not do well at A level, maybe they have to look after their kids or have sick parents to see to day and out. Maybe they have some kind of learning difficulties which affects their ability to a bit.

I don't like lazy people going to university that annoys me, they are pain to work with and they can drag you down to their level. I would much rather offer a place to a hard worker with poor A levels and a lazy one with good A levels. At degree level unless a lazy person mends their ways they are not going to do that well due to much greater work load.

Jimmy I am guessing like most people who make these stupid threads you're not even at university yet.

Some of the brightest people on my course who are expecting to get a first actually have no A levels at all, they did a foundation course. They are much better than most the people who came straight from six form, this because they are mature students who value education more.
yeah, dude, lazy people at uni'..........i failed my group coursework for one of my module, but sod it, its only worth 25% ........i think i ping the exam, made a few school boy errors, but should be okay........

My group was terrible, i had 3 doughnuts in my group of 5........4 of them don't turn up for meetings, leaving me hanging for like 2 hours, i called one of them , he was dowsy, proberly too busy pinging his g/f the night before.

One of them, does NO ****ing work, seriously, NO ****ing work. He's a great guy tho, good laugh. Bascially, since he did nothing, and was sitting on his arse all day, i told him to rewrite our failed coursework evaluation, so i can change it. I then told him to send it to me, he sent his evaluation to me about 50 times, and he was sending it to HIMSELF!!!!!! he had 181 emails in his inbox , wasting my time for like a hour, and blaming me that i gave him the wrong email.

Also, have a possessive little ***** in my group, depresses us and demotivate us whenever we meet. Glad she didn't bother turning up for redoing the coursework, 'cause she failed the exam!!!!!! its worth 75%, she left 150 mins early, the sucka

Then my so called "best friend" decided that everyone should give everyone 100%......when i bascially covered them, did at least 70% of all the work.....Isn't that just a piss take?......2 people do nothing, they get the same mark as you?

Finally the 3rd member of my group, i give him my work to do in put in one document, and he doesn't include it in his document......bascially loses it, and i have to do it again :mad:

The ***** didn't even turn up for any of our redoing coursework group meeting, but she turned up on the last day :eek: , threaten us that each of us have to give her 100% :confused: :eek: , otherwises she would rip the coursework up!!!!......the peer assement was worth 20%, so we gave her on average like 95%......and she said thats not good enough, and how, she doesn't wanna have the lowest mark!!!!!! :secruity: . All she did was a crap introduction that had nothing to do with the coursework!!!!

Dude, group coursework sucks, i can't do coursework, i rather do exams, i am much better at them. 3rd year is gonna suck, loads of group coursework......seriously, the coursework layout is taking the piss don't you think? :mad:

END of RANT
G_S
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jimmy Hill)
Who else thinks that it is too easy to get into university? I think that there should be a minimum entry requirement of BBB at A-level; people who get grades below this obviously will not derive any benefit from a university education. A-levels are not that hard and if you achieve anything below BBB at A-level you are obviously quite stupid.
**** of!!
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To the user above the above user :rolleyes:
Can't you have a private word with a lecturer or supervisor?
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
you need to be shot
Couldn't have put it better myself
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Obviously the thread starter is a bit of a toff!!! And a bit up himslef!
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
To the user above the above user :rolleyes:
Can't you have a private word with a lecturer or supervisor?
They proberly go :aetsch: and laugh in your face. All these lecturers and supervisers think about is money. They are too busy on research, and don't have time for us poor students.

Beside, University is independent studying, lecturers don't spoon feed you, like secondary school or college. You could argue, that private school on a whole don't do so well at uni', 'cause they been spoonfed all their life.....Just a generalisation

Anyway, the coursework was only worth 25% of the final mark!!!! , it happens in the workplace as well, you and a collegue were suppose to do a task together, he chills out, and you do his work, if you chill out as well, you will both get into trouble :p:

Bascially university teaches you lot as a person :hello:

And no, the lecturers wouldn't give a toss about your group, they are more worried about what they are eating tonight :mad:
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To be honest you're paying money for your university education so you should stand up and be counted. If something bothers you then it's important to get it sorted.
Like you said, you need to be a man. Say something.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads