Too easy to get into university Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sm0273)
Im lazy but I know what it takes roughly for 2:1 - so I just do whatevers needed, if I get 2:2 then so what.
Well as longs your happy with what ever you get then thats fine, its just I have been told for the last year I am for a 2:1 so I will be a bit disapointed. Having said that three years ago I would have been happy with a 3rd.

If people want to be lazy for indvidual assignments then fair enough its none of my business but for group assignments lazy people make my life hell and should not be allowed to be in university.
soilman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Well as longs your happy with what ever you get then thats fine, its just I have been told for the last year I am for a 2:1 so I will be a bit disapointed. Having said that three years ago I would have been happy with a 3rd.

If people want to be lazy for indvidual assignments then fair enough its none of my business but for group assignments lazy people make my life hell and should not be allowed to be in university.
RU DISLEXIK M8?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Once you're in university the only thing that matters is how well you do, it dosn;t matter if you got 2 Es or 5 As. Good A levels just help you to get into good universities.
That's not strictly true, a lot of city firms (as well as law firms) ask for a minimum A-Level requirement as well as an undergraduate degree. One of my third year mates had to avoid a few firms as they had a AAB requirement and he had ABB...even though he's in line for a first.

It'll be much better when they introduce the new style system replacing A-Levels; there is hardly any differentiation between AAA candidates and some universities (and medical schools) are having to rely on the LNAT and BMAT to provide a decent contrast. A system which stops people from achieving their potential, whether that lies at the upper or lower end of the scale, is one which seriously needs some sort of shake-up.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
That's not strictly true, a lot of city firms (as well as law firms) ask for a minimum A-Level requirement as well as an undergraduate degree. One of my third year mates had to avoid a few firms as they had a AAB requirement and he had ABB...even though he's in line for a first.

It'll be much better when they introduce the new style system replacing A-Levels; there is hardly any differentiation between AAA candidates and some universities (and medical schools) are having to rely on the LNAT and BMAT to provide a decent contrast. A system which stops people from achieving their potential, whether that lies at the upper or lower end of the scale, is one which seriously needs some sort of shake-up.
See my above post, I was meaning from a universities point of view rather than employers, of course when it comes to the job market A levels are important. I personaly think they should keep the A levels because the new proposals look too limited, maybe have both or somthing. At the lower end of the scale A levels work every well in terms of seperating candidates but I admit there is a problem with the upper end of the scale due to the amount of people getting As.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not really, I don't think degrees are becoming under values, its just that some degrees have little value in the first place. Hair dressing and Sun Tanning skills at Scallytown HE college is not going to affect anybody studying physics at Cambridge.

A lot of courses are made up of stuff like that as well, the amount of people actually achieving a decent grade undergrade degree is still quite low. I think HE education is very important in a modern high tech econemy like ours, its a long way from when it was low tec low skills based and there wasn't the jobs to support the amount of HE students today.
Well the very fact that so many more people are obtaining degrees these days is what is making them under-valued. It seems that you now need postgrad qualifications just to appear slightly above average.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Well the very fact that so many more people are obtaining degrees these days is what is making them under-valued. It seems that you now need postgrad qualifications just to appear slightly above average.
Maybe but the graduate employment market is still booming and post graduate qualifications only increase the qualifications of the UKs work force which will attract more foreign countries.

If I am still looking for a job in a years time I might change my mind.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AT, I appreciate your point, but they were designed for the purpose of differentiating between high achieving candidates. This is no longer the case, and they can't exactly shift the grade boundaries up 20% or that will devalue previous results. Having two systems running simultaneously will only set to confuse the whole admissions process even further.

(Original post by NikNak)
That is true. 50% into further education is an absolute joke. All we have now is a bunch of over-qualified graduates with nothing to do with their degrees apart from join a supervisor-level job advancement scheme at summerfield .
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe but the graduate employment market is still booming
How so? Looking at certain university graduate destination stats, the percentage going into jobs which actually require a degree is not as big as you would hope. A lot are having to go into further study to increase their CV points.

Looking at Tesco, for example, their graduate recruitment scheme has an applicant/offer ratio of 25:1 !
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
BBB at A-levels means you're stupid? You really need to stop being so arrogant and ignorant! As, Bs and Cs are all perfectly respectable grades. I agree that letting someone do a degree with DE, and an E in the subject they wanted to do, would be a bit over the top, but there is nothing wrong with BBB! I'd say CC should be the minimum, if anything, but individual circumstances should be taken into account as well.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That is true. 50% into further education is an absolute joke. All we have now is a bunch of over-qualified graduates with nothing to do with their degrees apart from join a supervisor-level job advancement scheme at summerfield .
I was tidying my room earlier and came across a copy of the Sunday Times university guide that was published in spetember last year - I was flicking through it and there was a big double page spread about graduates with perfectly good degrees forced into telesales and supermarket jobs just to pay the bills, as they are getting rejections for every job they apply for, due to the amount of people applying for them.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I was tidying my room earlier and came across a copy of the Sunday Times university guide that was published in spetember last year - I was flicking through it and there was a big double page spread about graduates with perfectly good degrees forced into telesales and supermarket jobs just to pay the bills, as they are getting rejections for every job they apply for, due to the amount of people applying for them.
I know. I was equally shocked when I found that someone who I work with at tesco (shameless plug ) has a 2.2 degree from oxford university and has been working on the customer service desk for 18 months full time while trying to look for work :eek:
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
BBB at A-levels means you're stupid? You really need to stop being so arrogant and ignorant! As, Bs and Cs are all perfectly respectable grades. I agree that letting someone do a degree with DE, and an E in the subject they wanted to do, would be a bit over the top, but there is nothing wrong with BBB! I'd say CC should be the minimum, if anything, but individual circumstances should be taken into account as well.
There shouldn't be a minimum - grades aren't everything, and the point of personal statements/references/interviews are to see what the actual candidate is like. I got above average GCSE grades (3 A*'s, 3 A's, 4 B's and 2 C's) and then mucked up my A-levels big style. I got a C in the subject that I'm now studying, and that was my highest grade. I still got accepted to my first choice uni despite not meeting the grades, and passed my first year very comfortably. Its ridiculous that a system that meant I had to take 19 exams in one summer can determine whether i'm 'stupid' just because I didn't get good grades.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know. I was equally shocked when I found that someone who I work with at tesco (shameless plug ) has a 2.2 degree from oxford university and has been working on the customer service desk for 18 months full time while trying to look for work :eek:
My friends sister graduated a year and a half ago, with a degree in Environmental Sciences from a university with a very good reputation for that subject. She's still working at a telesales office now. And hates every minute of it.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My friends sister graduated a year and a half ago, with a degree in Environmental Sciences from a university with a very good reputation for that subject. She's still working at a telesales office now. And hates every minute of it.
This isn't really doing much for the whole "university subforum" atmosphere..
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This isn't really doing much for the whole "university subforum" atmosphere..
Lol, well the truth needs to be told (and the point needed to be made!)
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol, well the truth needs to be told (and the point needed to be made!)
shh young chicken, or i'll get my chemistry songs out again :eek:
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The thread creater is clearly stupid if you actually believe that imo:

- firstly, not everyone comes from a good college. Therefore, achieving less than BBB may be due to other factors.
- some people have severe problems at home = another factor
- intelligence is not soley calculated by a level results. I know a few straight A students who lack common sense and are quite stupid at times.
- depends which a levels you are doing too

BBC students get into UCL and other top unis and become successful too. Maybe you are being a bit big headed, and getting too big for your boots.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
shh young chicken, or i'll get my chemistry songs out again :eek:
The random american song? That was funny

And don't shhh me, or call me young...i'm 19 don'tcha know
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The random american song? That was funny

And don't shhh me, or call me young...i'm 19 don'tcha know
19?! Your still in nappies! :p:
georgie_porgie
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Taldarion)
you need to be shot

spot on i got an A,B and D in my AS's yet i have got three offers in the last three days.
So's whos stupid me for getting the D or the uni's for offering me places.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.44%
Not great so far... (229)
35.5%
I want to drop out! (124)
19.22%

Watched Threads