Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There may be a reason why someone doesnt get many/good Alevels despite being very intelligent. I have a friend who only got one A level in businsess studies but then went on to do a degree in zoology, getting a first and now is at vetschool training to be a vet. Just because he didnt get 4/5 alevels all grade A doesnt mean that he is stupid and wont make a b***** good vet!

ReputationRep:
    If web designers don't understand the theory of things you end up with umanagable unscalable sites that are difficult to use, difficult to update and will probably crash frequently. You have to understand about databases, security, accessability, as well as core technologies that make the internet work such as TCP/IP.

ReputationRep:
    remember that some people struggle to obtain BBB, even "inferiors" as you probably think of them learn from university, ok not everyone is gona be heading to the city after uni but it will definitely help with their job prospects.

oh and a funny story, a friend of mine applied to bournemouth as a 6th place reserve for some course of like photography and film, what he hadn't realised was that it was a masters. they wrote back to him saying he was the most qualified person who had ever applied for the course (a level student!?!?) and they would be more than happy to accept him and he would obtain a masters degree in 1 year!!!

ReputationRep:
    The problem surely isn't that it's become too easy to get into university but rather that it's become necessary to lower the admissions thresholds because university is effectively the only viable option for most people now. There's always seems to be a rather snobbish assumption that the people who are scraping into university really want to go, but shouldn't be allowed. But do they really want to go? If there was a more practical / vocational alternative of equal standing in the eyes of employers, then surely everyone would be happy, and there would be less pressure on the university sector.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha and you are obviously a genius who is far too clever for university so you wouldn't derive much benefit from them either!

Anyway babe, look at it this way: If there weren't people like me around you wouldn't be able to feel quite so smug. I'm proud of my results so far even though I'm not finding A-levels easy, because I know I've done my best and don't need to put others down because they didn't do as well as me. Are you at a private/public school at the moment? Sorry as I'm from a comprehensive I must be worthless in your eyes.

Shame...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiger_babe)
    Are you at a private/public school at the moment? Sorry as I'm from a comprehensive I must be worthless in your eyes.
    Isn't there a single debate on education where that doesn't have to be an issue? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granddad_bob)
    surely there's a limit though? i mean, does a student who gets EE (or even DDE) deserve to go to university no matter how much they would benefit from the experience? in my opinion, they don't. (barring exceptional circumstances)

also, what is and isn't coping? i personally would say that a student in a third or pass catogary isn't coping with the course, whereas others may say that anything above 30% (or the pass/fail boundary) should be able to continue. (see above)

personally, i'd set a minimum requirement of CDD and be done with it. if you get below that, without a pretty good excuse, you've no place on a degree course.
    Well you can stick that comment up your a**e!!!!

My dad got third class honours in pharmacy - within a few years he back at the university lecturing and is now one of the leading psychiatric pharmacists in the UK. He gives lectures all over the world, and won a UKPPG award last year for outstanding achievement.

But oh no he shouldn't have been allowed to qualify as his marks weren't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Isn't there a single debate on education where that doesn't have to be an issue? :rolleyes:
    I've found there is so much snobbery and it makes me so angry! Just because someone goes to one of these schools doesn't make them any better than the next person who's been through the comprehensive system.

ReputationRep:
    I've found there is so much snobbery and it makes me so angry! Just because someone goes to one of these schools doesn't make them any better than the next person who's been through the comprehensive system.
    Agreed, but surely your views are just a form of snobbery too? Some independent schoolers will make sweeping judgements based on a school someone went too, and, evidently, you will too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Agreed, but surely your views are just a form of snobbery too? Some independent schoolers will make sweeping judgements based on a school someone went too, and, evidently, you will too.
    In this case I have made a judgement but I try not to normally. It is hard sometimes though when you see messages like this.

ReputationRep:
    If i was incharge of this minimum grade requirement:

I think the people who get EEE-DEE who go to poor colleges should be allowed to go uni.

Last year i got EUUU, teachers told me im only capable of DDE.

I'm now at an indepedent college predicted
    A
    A/B
    A/B
    A/B

I personally think that every hardworking person deserves to go uni, some DDD courses can still get you a job; a course that is not v.difficult.

ReputationRep:

My dad got third class honours in pharmacy - within a few years he back at the university lecturing and is now one of the leading psychiatric pharmacists in the UK. He gives lectures all over the world, and won a UKPPG award last year for outstanding achievement.

But oh no he shouldn't have been allowed to qualify as his marks weren't good enough.
    so evidently your father is very academically capable & we can only presume there were other factors involved in his getting a 3rd?

obviously not everyone gets the grades they're capable of (there may be various reasons for this, i accept...) but by the same token - why should the taxpayer pay for people to have their 'right' of university education if they merely chose not to work hard once they're there.. :confused:

it seems plenty of people i wnet to school with have gone onto uni because 'it's what you do next' without any real motivation or masterplan behind what they're doing.. which seems a little futile to me.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    If i was incharge of this minimum grade requirement:

I think the people who get EEE-DEE who go to poor colleges should be allowed to go uni.

Last year i got EUUU, teachers told me im only capable of DDE.

I'm now at an indepedent college predicted
    A
    A/B
    A/B
    A/B

I personally think that every hardworking person deserves to go uni, some DDD courses can still get you a job; a course that is not v.difficult.

This is the problem, I went to MANCAT, a college that had an average UCAS point score of 90, where as my university wanted 220 points. Should somebody with 220 points from a poor college be treated the same as a grammar school student with 220 points and no reansonable reason?

This is one reason why A level grades can be an unreliable way of deciding who gets in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If web designers don't understand the theory of things you end up with umanagable unscalable sites that are difficult to use, difficult to update and will probably crash frequently. You have to understand about databases, security, accessability, as well as core technologies that make the internet work such as TCP/IP.
    I don't know much about web-design, hence my mentioning of train driving, but that doesn't really answer my other points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    I don't know much about web-design, hence my mentioning of train driving, but that doesn't really answer my other points.
    But train driving is more vocational, it dosn't require quite as much understanding in other areas. Train driving isn't really that theoritical its just practise. This why you cannot do driving in universities.

ReputationRep:

thus his grade didn't reflect his ability, i presume? therefore, he'd probable fall under the "exceptional circumstances" bit... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think anybody that can benefit from higher education deserves to go as longs as they can proove they can cope. This is usualy A levels.

I think they should make it easier to kick people of the course though, for example if you never turn up and get bad marks if you have no reasonable explanation for this perhaps they could chuck you in the job centre.
    Most universities give you one more chance to repeat. If the person still have bad marks after that chance, they will be kicked out.

Some uni's won't kick people out, they just let you fail, and have the tuition fees paid instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Most universities give you one more chance to repeat. If the person still have bad marks after that chance, they will be kicked out.

Some uni's won't kick people out, they just let you fail, and have the tuition fees paid instead.
    That seems to happen at Salford, people have been chucked out but there are some people just getting no more than 40% in everything and they don't really understand much. I just can;'t but think they would be better of doing somthing else.

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's nowadays let you repeat some modules (not the whole year) and don't get kicked out too. So I guess you have more than one chance to do it.

Some uni's just pass people or don't kick people out as they want their tuition fees paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granddad_bob)
    thus his grade didn't reflect his ability, i presume? therefore, he'd probable fall under the "exceptional circumstances" bit... :rolleyes:
    I think that with something like pharmacy (corrrect me if I'm wrong) but your ability has a lot to do with attributes you cannot examine, such as how you work with patients and initiative. He's very good at management and I think that's got a lot to do with it. I'm sorry if it seems like I was bragging but that comment made me really angry grrr

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.