The Student Room Group

how does a cheque work ? help

i have to transfer money for a exam but i havent got online banking , i just set it up now , i have to pay by 15th of feb

they accept cheques so how do i pay in a cheque (im 17)
You should have a cheque book. You write the amount that the cheque is for in words on the left side, write it in figures in the box on the right side and sign it at the bottom. You give the cheque to the finance office of your place of study and they will cash it. It takes about 2 to 3 working days for the cheque funds to clear normally.
Original post by pppttt
i have to transfer money for a exam but i havent got online banking , i just set it up now , i have to pay by 15th of feb

they accept cheques so how do i pay in a cheque (im 17)

A. Do you have a chequebook?

B. You don't 'pay in a cheque' on behalf of someone - you send them the cheque and they would pay it in. Do the cleared funds need to be received by the exam board or whoever by the 15th? It so, then it's unlikely that the cheque would be received, banked and cleared in four days, given two of them are the weekend. If it's just the cheque they need to have received, then there is a chance, but it's tight.

C. It would be easier to ask someone with online banking (a parent etc) to make the payment on your behalf, and then you repay that person once your online banking is set up.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check

B. You don't 'pay in a cheque' on behalf of someone - you send them the cheque and they would pay it in. Do the cleared funds need to be received by the exam board or whoever by the 15th? It so, then it's unlikely that the cheque would be received, banked and cleared in four days, given two of them are the weekend. If it's just the cheque they need to have received, then there is a chance, but it's tight.

C. It would be easier to ask someone with online banking (a parent etc) to make the payment on your behalf, and then you repay that person once your online banking is set up.

imma do C sounds easier , should've thought of that myself lol
Reply 4
Original post by Powersymphonia
You should have a cheque book.

Unlikely. My kids are all in their 20s and none of them has ever been issued with a cheque book.
Original post by pppttt
imma do C sounds easier , should've thought of that myself lol

:smile: Good choice.
Original post by Reality Check

Thats what i was thinking
Original post by EOData
Unlikely. My kids are all in their 20s and none of them has ever been issued with a cheque book.

I suppose it depends on the bank.
Ive always been issued with a chequebook. Ive had one for pretty much all of the time ive had the account (it was the first and is the only current account ive had). My sister is the same.
I guess it varies between banks.
Original post by Emma:-)
I suppose it depends on the bank.
Ive always been issued with a chequebook. Ive had one for pretty much all of the time ive had the account (it was the first and is the only current account ive had). My sister is the same.
I guess it varies between banks.

I've never been issues a checkbook with any of my accounts from HSBC or Santander and I've been with them for 12 years now. I got issued my first checkbook when my HSBC USA account changed to Citizens bank just this past week but never had one in the UK, I believe I have to specially request one if I want one as they are trying to get rid of them, even my parents haven't received a new checkbook for many years
Original post by Fresher18
I've never been issues a checkbook with any of my accounts from HSBC or Santander and I've been with them for 12 years now. I got issued my first checkbook when my HSBC USA account changed to Citizens bank just this past week but never had one in the UK, I believe I have to specially request one if I want one as they are trying to get rid of them, even my parents haven't received a new checkbook for many years

Me, my sister and my parents are with lloyds (and always have been). And we have had cheque books.
Me, my sister and my parents are with lloyds (and always have been). And we have had cheque books.

I guess its bank dependent since I know that HSBC, Santander & Natwest don't issue them automatically you have to specifically request them. Not that I have ever had to write a check and only ever receive like 2 a year from the grandparents at christmas/birthday.
I guess its bank dependent since I know that HSBC, Santander & Natwest don't issue them automatically you have to specifically request them. Not that I have ever had to write a check and only ever receive like 2 a year from the grandparents at christmas/birthday.

Yeah, i said before that it must depends on the bank. Every bank is different in general, not just with chequebooks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12

Nor do Halifax or Nationwide.

I've just checked my cheque book and the last one I wrote was in 2016.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah, i said before that it must depends on the bank. Every bank is different in general, not just with chequebooks.

Banks have been trying to get rid of cheques for years now.

Given that most people rarely, if ever, need to write cheques, I suspect that banks are taking the view that it's a waste of time, money, and paper producing cheque books that people don't need and won't use.

If people do want a cheque book, and that facility is available on that specific account, you should be able to obtain one. (Some current accounts I've seen explicitly state in their terms and conditions that cheque books are not available for that account.)

That said, I was very annoyed that I had to visit a branch to order a fiirst cheque book for a Barclays current account. (If I'd already had one, I could have ordered a new one online; but because I'd never had a cheque book for that specific account I either had to visit a branch, or go through the hassle of setting up telephone banking.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending