The Student Room Group

Should I apply improve my Maths for natural science course

Currently I am taking AL in Math, Physics and Chemistry, and Geography for AS level. When I learn natural science at school, I feel it is interesting to combine the knowledge in a factual context such as in the atmospheric circulation and the ocean tectonics. My physics teacher advised me to apply to Oxford, for the Earth science major. However, I feel greater passion for the natural science in Cambridge and geology and paleontology are so attractive. I apply for university this year and couldn't decide if it is more suitable for me. Besides, i didn't take further Math, which can be an obstacles in natural science in Cambridge. So if it is Earth science, does that mean I can have a better chance to study well without deep passion for Math knowledge?
You need to check the entry requirements for a range of different Unis and for a range of subjects/courses as they will all be different even if they are all called 'Natural Sciences' or 'Earth Sciences', 'Geology' or whatever. And you need to go to some Uni Open Days in the summer term to listen to subject talks, ask questions and find out if each one is what you want to do.
Original post by Habitable Earth
Currently I am taking AL in Math, Physics and Chemistry, and Geography for AS level. When I learn natural science at school, I feel it is interesting to combine the knowledge in a factual context such as in the atmospheric circulation and the ocean tectonics. My physics teacher advised me to apply to Oxford, for the Earth science major. However, I feel greater passion for the natural science in Cambridge and geology and paleontology are so attractive. I apply for university this year and couldn't decide if it is more suitable for me. Besides, i didn't take further Math, which can be an obstacles in natural science in Cambridge. So if it is Earth science, does that mean I can have a better chance to study well without deep passion for Math knowledge?

Completely depends on what you mean by "deep knowledge". It's essentially impossible to do science in the 21st Century without mathematical competency, so any half-decent science course will involve a significant quantitative component (this includes Natural Sciences at Cambridge as far as I'm aware). That's not to say that you need Further Maths, but you do need to be prepared for the fact that you will be doing a significant amount of Maths at university. Having said that, particularly if you're interested in the more 'traditional' aspects of geology such as structural geology and palaeontology, the maths involved there is generally less intensive than in, say, ocean or atmospheric physics, or geophysics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Habitable Earth

Hi,

I am a current 3rd year Natural Sciences student at the university of Nottingham.
I know of lots of students that study further maths and have been totally fine so I wouldn't be too worried about that. There will always be help from lecturers or online support you could look into if you found that it was too much when you got there.
I know here you mentioned Cambridge which is obviously a very good university and well known for natural sciences however I thought I would just mention a bit about Nottingham as I think there is some subjects that would be available to you that seem like what you are interested in.
From you A levels you would be able to study: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Psychology, Ecosystems and environment, Earth sciences and Archaeology.

From what you have mentioned, Earth sciences, Archaeology, ecosystems and environment seem like subjects that may be of interest to you.

I have left a link below to the course if you are interested in these but if you have any more questions just let me know,
Emily

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/

Quick Reply

Latest