The Student Room Group

what is a scholarship programme?

I'm in year 11 and I have been invited to a scholarship programme but I am unsure what it's about. Has anyone been to a programme like this before? if you have please tell me more about this.

Thanks
Original post by butter fly
I'm in year 11 and I have been invited to a scholarship programme but I am unsure what it's about. Has anyone been to a programme like this before? if you have please tell me more about this.

Thanks

Hey! I'm also in Year 11! First of all, massive congrats on the scholarship :smile: At my school, scholarships are given to students who excel in academics + extracurriculars; the aim is to motivate students into accomplishing more (make the school look good) in return for free tuition. I've been on scholarship since Year 8, and the main criteria which I have to fulfil are: leadership (student council, service ambassador, etc.), service (leading fundraisers, volunteering at school events), extracurriculars (sports teams, orchestra, clubs), awards (taking part in math/music competitions) and academics (fulfilling certain grades, good attendance). The criteria will probably depend on the school, so you might want to ask your scholarship program leader what the requirements are. I also know that not all schools offer 100% free tuition; some only give partial or honorary. There may be added benefits (eg. more uni application support, Oxbridge track). These are questions you might also want to ask about. Either way, scholarships are great programs to be part of—just make sure you don't get too stressed about them. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by doughnutlover
Hey! I'm also in Year 11! First of all, massive congrats on the scholarship :smile: At my school, scholarships are given to students who excel in academics + extracurriculars; the aim is to motivate students into accomplishing more (make the school look good) in return for free tuition. I've been on scholarship since Year 8, and the main criteria which I have to fulfil are: leadership (student council, service ambassador, etc.), service (leading fundraisers, volunteering at school events), extracurriculars (sports teams, orchestra, clubs), awards (taking part in math/music competitions) and academics (fulfilling certain grades, good attendance). The criteria will probably depend on the school, so you might want to ask your scholarship program leader what the requirements are. I also know that not all schools offer 100% free tuition; some only give partial or honorary. There may be added benefits (eg. more uni application support, Oxbridge track). These are questions you might also want to ask about. Either way, scholarships are great programs to be part of—just make sure you don't get too stressed about them. Best of luck!

Thanks you so much :smile: that makes so much more sense, we didn't have something like this is school before so I was a little confused. Congrats to you too for being in scholarship since year 8 :smile: :smile:
Original post by butter fly
Thanks you so much :smile: that makes so much more sense, we didn't have something like this is school before so I was a little confused. Congrats to you too for being in scholarship since year 8 :smile: :smile:

Glad to help :smile: Hope you do well!

Quick Reply

Latest