The Student Room Group

HP laptops

Hey all. I hope I’ve posted in the right place ? I’m looking for advice on laptops for when I start my adult nursing degree in September . Originally wanted an Apple Mac but a few friends have HP Pavillion 14 with touchscreen . Looks fabulous and I think has what I need as one of the girls goes to the same uni I’m going to and on the same course . Does anyone else have one of these and can recommend it ?
Original post by Donnalou81
Hey all. I hope I’ve posted in the right place ? I’m looking for advice on laptops for when I start my adult nursing degree in September . Originally wanted an Apple Mac but a few friends have HP Pavillion 14 with touchscreen . Looks fabulous and I think has what I need as one of the girls goes to the same uni I’m going to and on the same course . Does anyone else have one of these and can recommend it ?

I have a Hp touchscreen pavillion, absolute horsecrap. Battery lasts maybe 5 hours, chrome shows a white screen half the time, the keyboard is formatted oddly, choose another option. :smile: I'm aware laptops are a privilege, and I'm thankful for mine, but yeesh, get a different one for £800!
(edited 2 years ago)
For that price you can get a pretty decent one. Do you NEED a touchscreen? My concern would be that if you don't need it, you're losing elsewhere.
Reply 3
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I have a Hp touchscreen pavillion, absolute horsecrap. Battery lasts maybe 5 hours, chrome shows a white screen half the time, the keyboard is formatted oddly, choose another option. :smile: I'm aware laptops are a privilege, and I'm thankful for mine, but yeesh, get a different one for £800!

Ahh you’re not a fan then? Is there one you would recommend ?
Reply 4
Original post by RegisteredBMS
For that price you can get a pretty decent one. Do you NEED a touchscreen? My concern would be that if you don't need it, you're losing elsewhere.

I don’t need a touchscreen no, but mentioned it incase there was a model without it so people knew which one I was asking about. Is there one you would recommend ?
I would recommend not getting one with a touchscreen then. It's a feature that is probably a significant proportion of the production cost when compared to other features, and you could get a faster laptop instead. Is £800 your budget?

Can I just check, as there are a few "HP Pavillion 14" on the market. Are we talking the HP Pavilion 14ec0531sa, priced at £779 at Curry's. Once I know what you're looking at I can see what's better and compare specs.
Reply 6
I would recommend not getting one with a touchscreen then. It's a feature that is probably a significant proportion of the production cost when compared to other features, and you could get a faster laptop instead. Is £800 your budget?

Can I just check, as there are a few "HP Pavillion 14" on the market. Are we talking the HP Pavilion 14ec0531sa, priced at £779 at Curry's. Once I know what you're looking at I can see what's better and compare specs.

14dv1629sa I think this is the one she recommended. ?
14dv1629sa I think this is the one she recommended. ?

That's £529, you previously mentioned £800. Is £800 your budget?
That's £529, you previously mentioned £800. Is £800 your budget?

I mentioned 800, my laptop cost that and it's pretty bad!
What about a Dell Inspiron 15+?
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-plus/spd/inspiron-15-7510-laptop/cn51705sc11

It's got a SSD which is a biggie, although pretty common today there's still some without on the market (although the HP you was looking at has one).

It's got a better processor, as seen here > https://versus.com/en/intel-core-i5-11400h-vs-intel-core-i5-1155g7

Same RAM. Better graphics card. Generally better input connections. Better screen. Similar battery life. WiFi 6 as opposed to the general WiFi 5 card.
Reply 10
I’d like a MacBook but they’re so pricey and a few have said they’re not all they’re cracked Up up be. Y mum is buying it as a congrats for getting in at the ripe old age of 41 - so I don’t want to take the mic and just get a Mac because I want one of you see what I mean?
Reply 11

TBH if you're able to pay for MacBook I'd do that... it is sooooo worth is
With a Macbook you're paying for the brand. People, as you can see, go "oh Macbook they're good". When you look at the specs they're not actually worth what they cost.
Reply 13
With a Macbook you're paying for the brand. People, as you can see, go "oh Macbook they're good". When you look at the specs they're not actually worth what they cost.

So what would you recommend ? I’m not techy at all so haven’t a clue - but I do love apple products
Reply 14
Original post by yaara_
TBH if you're able to pay for MacBook I'd do that... it is sooooo worth is

I could I guess as there’s discounts but not sure if it’s a justified spend
So what would you recommend ? I’m not techy at all so haven’t a clue - but I do love apple products

As I said Dell Inspiron 15+ isn't a bad shout. How about going into a Curry's and trying some as well? Feel is as important as specs.
Reply 16
As I said Dell Inspiron 15+ isn't a bad shout. How about going into a Curry's and trying some as well? Feel is as important as specs.

Yeah good idea , thanks
Reply 17
Original post by spacesh1p
Hey congrats on getting into Uni!!! :smile: Maybe offer to pay for some of the MacBook if you feel bad about the ludicrous pricing?

Thank you!! Yes I could do that x
Reply 18
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-plus/spd/inspiron-15-7510-laptop/cn51705sc11

It's got a SSD which is a biggie, although pretty common today there's still some without on the market (although the HP you was looking at has one).

It's got a better processor, as seen here > https://versus.com/en/intel-core-i5-11400h-vs-intel-core-i5-1155g7

Same RAM. Better graphics card. Generally better input connections. Better screen. Similar battery life. WiFi 6 as opposed to the general WiFi 5 card.

Thank you! Jbe no idea

Thank you! I’ve no idea what I need so thank gosh for people who do lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending