vZydon
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Can I do chemical engineering with maths psychology, economics and chemistry as my a levels?

I am not really a fan of physics

Also which universities dont require physics
selugawi
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
As you have maths and chemistry you will probably be fine for the majority of universities, however you should definitely check some of the entry requirements for unis you're interested in just in case.
However I think you should note that while many uni's may not require you to have physics a level to study chemical engineering, there will still be a lot of physics on the course (people say that chem eng usually has much more physics/engineering content than chemistry), so that's something you really need to consider if you don't enjoy physics
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by vZydon)
Can I do chemical engineering with maths psychology, economics and chemistry as my a levels?

I am not really a fan of physics

Also which universities dont require physics
Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

At Bath, the standard entry requirements are A*AA including chemistry and maths. Physics is not a requirement and Bath do not have a preference for the 3rd A-level subject.

As someone else said, as chemical engineering degree is an engineering degree, it is quite physics heavy (and not that much chemistry). Saying that, most of the physics in the degree is less like what is taught at school and more the mechanics parts of your maths course as well as physics extensions of some of the thermodynamic and kinetic principles you learn in chemistry. We apply basics physics principles (thermodynamics, pressure and forces, mechanics) to chemical engineering applications. Rather than, say, the study of space or particle physics which is taught at school. I personally did not particularly enjoy physics at school (I studied it in Y12 then dropped it for Y13) and I have found the content of chemical engineering manageable.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Final Year Chemical Engineering
vZydon
Rep:
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there! My name is Leah and I am a chemical engineering student at the University of Bath.

At Bath, the standard entry requirements are A*AA including chemistry and maths. Physics is not a requirement and Bath do not have a preference for the 3rd A-level subject.

As someone else said, as chemical engineering degree is an engineering degree, it is quite physics heavy (and not that much chemistry). Saying that, most of the physics in the degree is less like what is taught at school and more the mechanics parts of your maths course as well as physics extensions of some of the thermodynamic and kinetic principles you learn in chemistry. We apply basics physics principles (thermodynamics, pressure and forces, mechanics) to chemical engineering applications. Rather than, say, the study of space or particle physics which is taught at school. I personally did not particularly enjoy physics at school (I studied it in Y12 then dropped it for Y13) and I have found the content of chemical engineering manageable.

I hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!

Leah
Thank you so much!

One question, do you think that doing physics is a great advantage when it comes to chemical engineering or would you be fine without doing physics as a A level?
Last edited by vZydon; 4 months ago
vZydon
Rep:
(Original post by selugawi)
As you have maths and chemistry you will probably be fine for the majority of universities, however you should definitely check some of the entry requirements for unis you're interested in just in case.
However I think you should note that while many uni's may not require you to have physics a level to study chemical engineering, there will still be a lot of physics on the course (people say that chem eng usually has much more physics/engineering content than chemistry), so that's something you really need to consider if you don't enjoy physics
Thank you so much!!
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by vZydon)
Thank you so much!

One question, do you think that doing physics is a great advantage when it comes to chemical engineering or would you be fine without doing physics as a A level?
Hi there!

My A-levels were maths, further maths and chemistry, and I did physics for Y12 only. Many of my friends on the course had not studied physics before coming to University.

In first year, time is taken to ensure everyone is up to speed and on the same page in terms of content. This means science and maths which not everyone may have covered will be taught from scratch – only chemistry and maths A-levels are required and some of this is also covered again.

I do not think you will be at a disadvantage if you have not studied physics before. If you have studied sufficient mechanics in your mathematics A-level, then you will be fine as this is the most important aspect of chemcial engineering.

Hope this helps!

Leah
ChemEngWeekly
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by University of Bath)
Hi there!

My A-levels were maths, further maths and chemistry, and I did physics for Y12 only. Many of my friends on the course had not studied physics before coming to University.

In first year, time is taken to ensure everyone is up to speed and on the same page in terms of content. This means science and maths which not everyone may have covered will be taught from scratch – only chemistry and maths A-levels are required and some of this is also covered again.

I do not think you will be at a disadvantage if you have not studied physics before. If you have studied sufficient mechanics in your mathematics A-level, then you will be fine as this is the most important aspect of chemcial engineering.

Hope this helps!

Leah
Hey there!

So I'd like to echo this point for sure - in all of the cases I have helped with for prospective students getting into uni for ChemEng, not once has not having Physics been a detriment to their application (for all levels of unis) and students often do get taught the relevant ideas in first year to get the relevant physics knowledge they'll need for the degree overall.

I hope this helps to reinforce this message!

Best,

ChemEngWeekly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads