Struugling with A-level Maths

Watch this thread
DS012345
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am a year 12 student currently studying my A-levels but i'm really struggling with maths, does anyone have any advice on improvement?
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
can you pinpoint any specific areas you're struggling with?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DS012345)
I am a year 12 student currently studying my A-levels but i'm really struggling with maths, does anyone have any advice on improvement?
Can you be more specific? Can you complete examples in class?
DS012345
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Can you be more specific? Can you complete examples in class?
I mainly struggle with the mechanics sections and with tests, I do well in lessons but i need advice on better revision methods and resources to use
DS012345
Rep:
(Original post by bl0bf1sh)
can you pinpoint any specific areas you're struggling with?
So far mainly struggle with mechanics and tests at the moment
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
have a go at some past paper questions – physics & maths tutor has an excellent selection. also (if you have a textbook/online textbook) it'd be a good idea to work through the end-of-topic questions. also try going through examples you have done in class, with or without looking at the method.
mark schemes can be useful for checking you're going in the right direction, checking your answer, or seeing a different approach to the question, but don't become reliant on them. quite often they will skip a few steps (which isn't very helpful for understanding the working) or the method is different from what you have been taught, or not the ,most efficient way.

for mechanics in general, draw a diagram, label what you know, and what you don't know/need to work out. then use suvat, f=ma, or any other equations you need

and speak to your teacher if you're still struggling – they'll hopefully be able to give more specific help
DS012345
Rep:
(Original post by bl0bf1sh)
have a go at some past paper questions – physics & maths tutor has an excellent selection. also (if you have a textbook/online textbook) it'd be a good idea to work through the end-of-topic questions. also try going through examples you have done in class, with or without looking at the method.
mark schemes can be useful for checking you're going in the right direction, checking your answer, or seeing a different approach to the question, but don't become reliant on them. quite often they will skip a few steps (which isn't very helpful for understanding the working) or the method is different from what you have been taught, or not the ,most efficient way.

for mechanics in general, draw a diagram, label what you know, and what you don't know/need to work out. then use suvat, f=ma, or any other equations you need

and speak to your teacher if you're still struggling – they'll hopefully be able to give more specific help
Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by DS012345)
So far mainly struggle with mechanics and tests at the moment
I echo the suggestion for clear diagrams and learn what key words mean such as.

'light', 'inextensible', 'uniform', 'equilibrium', 'on the point of slipping/sliding'

For tests - make sure you do the mixed exercises.
DS012345
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
I echo the suggestion for clear diagrams and learn what key words mean such as.

'light', 'inextensible', 'uniform', 'equilibrium', 'on the point of slipping/sliding'

For tests - make sure you do the mixed exercises.
Right i'll sure to do that, thank you for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (67)
28.39%
As I expected (73)
30.93%
Harder (88)
37.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.39%

Watched Threads