The Student Room Group

How long normally for lft to turn negative?

Hi, I have been isolating for 5 days now, symptoms started 6 days ago but have mostly gone now. Loss of smell n taste that's it but took months for me to get those back last time.

I'm due to go on holiday to New york im in UK, go in 4 days. As of today my lft is still poitive do you reckon it will turn negative within 4 days? Im not sure how fussy they would be if my lft was positive still as I have to do a pre departure lft supervised.

I think im right in thinking I can still fly as long as I have a negative lft, it would have been 10 days since my symptoms. Not sure if they would accept covid recovery as the pcr wud have only been done a week before the flight- had to get one for work.

Stressing now what do poeple think?
Reply 1
Best to ask the airline or travel agent as rules are changing so frequently and each country as own rules.
US says (for non-US citizens): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/noncitizens-US-air-travel.html

"You must be fully vaccinated with the primary series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to travel to the United States by plane if you are a non-U.S. citizen, non-U.S. immigrant (not a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, lawful permanent resident, or traveling to the United States on an immigrant visa). Only limited exceptions apply.

You are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 when you travel to the United States by air.

Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth is required in indoor areas of public transportation (including airplanes) traveling into, within, or out of the United States and indoors in U.S. transportation hubs (including airports)."

They also say "Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started" - which you say you will pass.

UK says (for British citizens flying to US): https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/usa/entry-requirements

If you're over 18, must be fully vaccinated

Required to "show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel."

So, the negative pre-departure Covid test and proof of vaccination status is all you need (I assume you don't have documented recovery from Covid). Plus your ESTA. Note "fully vaccinated" means your last vaccine dose at least 14 days prior to travel.

Fingers crossed for the negative test!

Quick Reply

Latest