The Student Room Group

Opinions on online university

What is better online vs in person uni?
Original post by Anonymous

It depends on the student, and also how well the university organises online provision. Some of my students were really excited to get back to in-person lectures, whereas others hated the idea of not being online anymore.
If you plan on to doing an online uni,
I think it depends on several factors, ie.,
•What course you are doing > if it requires typical apparatuses or on-site part of course; such as architecture courses are available online, but they are not as nicely attended online and do require some typical site visits and projects (it may be possible for you approach such places yourself in your city but if not, an in-person uni provides labs, trips and stuff themself) for legitimate completion of course. However, a programming course can be completed online most probably.
•What does that mean to you > how much passionate and willing you are to struggle all by yourself for the course you are doing and research outside- in your city- finding experience yourself. That needs the subject to be interesting to you and you can't be successful if you have to "survive" through it; you need to ENJOY it.
•Level of motivation or discipline you possess >how much you can self-study and are aware of what you need to do

Online uni will require dope planning, a subject you are passionate about, commitment and awareness.

Online uni will also provide you with more freedom and opportunity to be by yourself which will be a helpful experience of independence.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It depends on the student, and also how well the university organises online provision. Some of my students were really excited to get back to in-person lectures, whereas others hated the idea of not being online anymore.

i am a intovert so i would prefer online.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous! It's a great question! I think that there are both pros and cons to online and in-person lectures at university.
In terms of starting university, I found it a lot easier to transition when I had in-person lectures and could see and talk to my course-mates and lecturers in person, as online, no one really has their cameras on! I felt more comfortable with the course in general that way and I knew my way around the university campus too!
However, I think online lectures have been great for things like evening revision sessions (which wouldn't have happened otherwise) and also if the weather is bad/ snowing, then it's a lot safer for students and staff as they don't have to travel in to the university! It also saves on travel costs and accommodation for example and can help with organising childcare.

I hope this helps and best wishes :smile:

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Reply 5
She did put her name and her degree.
Hi - thanks for the comment! I assure you that we are real people and we're here to help answer people's questions.

I would say that I have said it how it is and I've been able to mention pros and cons for both styles of lectures as I'm not specifically here to say which is better as everyone has their own preferences! For example, I like in-person lectures as I like to chat face-to-face with my course-mates, but this might be a reason why someone might not like in-person lectures.

We sign off with our names and degrees as we have a few students working under the same username and it helps to keep track of who's commented what on posts, as well as making it feels a bit more human :smile:

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Reply 7
Sorry i am new.

Quick Reply

Latest