The Student Room Group

Geography or history?!??!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hamlethoratio
oh wow that’s surprising! I took triple science, geography, history and French gcse and was essentially forced into it by my school so that sounds like the opposite situation lol

I wasn’t even good at science either in y9 haha

I think my school were more concerned with securing high grades, so they didn’t want to risk overloading people with ‘heavy’ subjects :dontknow:
Original post by Cleebee
I guess it's different for other schools then. Hopefully, if they ask them they'll be allowed to take it. I wanted to take both but wasn't allowed to.

Odd. My school specifically says you can take both lol. Maybe it’s due to pressure for timetabling or they want you to get involved in “creative subjects” 🙄 that won’t have any use
Original post by hamlethoratio
I did both Geography and History GCSE, got a 9 in them both and now do History A-Level. I always preferred History before even picking my GCSE’s and that meant that the workload and revision for History was really enjoyable and manageable for me. However, if you don’t currently have a preference between the two I would choose Geography as it’s easier and a bit less info to remember.

History is far more interesting in my opinion but if you truly like them the same amount then I’d go for geography as it’s easier to get a higher grade I would say.

thank you so much <3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why not both?

basically in my school im on the blue pathway so i get three options and have to do german. ive chosen music, btec enterprise and now either history/ geography although i could swap enterprise for history and do the both idk tho
Original post by onacapogrossi
basically in my school im on the blue pathway so i get three options and have to do german. ive chosen music, btec enterprise and now either history/ geography although i could swap enterprise for history and do the both idk tho

In that case, I agree with @hamlethoratio. I prefer history too, but geography is probably easier to get a higher grade in out of the two, so if you don’t have a preference, I’d say geography. If you like them both equally and passionately then both is manageable.
Original post by WillowGW
Is it for GCSE or a level?

I did both at GCSE and enjoyed both but preferred the Geography.

I’m now in year 12 and I study a level geography and am really enjoying it

If you want more info on the course just ask :smile:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :smile: it is for GCSES and i had thought about doing both but i reallly want to do btec enterprise/business aswell so i dont have enough options left to do both,
is history a lot of essays/writing? and do you have to get them done in like short spaces of time.
im good at writing but i always write so much for essays as i strugle with shortening notes down.
Original post by Safwan Chowdhury
Definitely Geography. Trust me the content is a lot more interesting. Geography is a combo of Scientific knowledge along with writing whereas as history there is a whole lotta writing with geog you get that nice balance. Do Geography you won’t regret it

thank you!!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
In that case, I agree with @hamlethoratio. I prefer history too, but geography is probably easier to get a higher grade in out of the two, so if you don’t have a preference, I’d say geography. If you like them both equally and passionately then both is manageable.

yeah i would love to do them both but i think it will be better if i do enterprise/business instead of them both so that i cover a wider range of subjects. please tell me what u think
HI GUYS PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE AS IM GOOD AT THEM BOTH!!!!!
Any advice on what to choose is appreciated!!
thanks <33

Hi! I'm not sure which exam boards your school does but I did History and Geography at GCSE (both AQA). I really enjoyed both subjects, and I was planning on taking History for A-Level (but timetabling issues made it impossible)!

I found that Geography was quite easy to understand (especially Human Geography - which is amazing), whilst History was more interesting (my school did Elizabeth I, Power and the People, Germany (1890-1945), and the Cold War (1945-1972). I think Geography will be easier for you if you prefer learning Geographical processes and Case studies. Whilst History is great if you prefer learning through a timeline/certain time periods of history. But both subjects are great! :h:
Original post by Liliette
Hi! I'm not sure which exam boards your school does but I did History and Geography at GCSE (both AQA). I really enjoyed both subjects, and I was planning on taking History for A-Level (but timetabling issues made it impossible)!

I found that Geography was quite easy to understand (especially Human Geography - which is amazing), whilst History was more interesting (my school did Elizabeth I, Power and the People, Germany (1890-1945), and the Cold War (1945-1972). I think Geography will be easier for you if you prefer learning Geographical processes and Case studies. Whilst History is great if you prefer learning through a timeline/certain time periods of history. But both subjects are great! :h:

thank you! our school does AQA aswell
i love learining about the cold war/ communism/ russia BUT i also love learining development/urban issues/economies (i find human geography WAY more interesting)
its honestly such a hard decision! i would do them both but i want to do an enterprise GCSE aswell
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :smile: it is for GCSES and i had thought about doing both but i reallly want to do btec enterprise/business aswell so i dont have enough options left to do both,
is history a lot of essays/writing? and do you have to get them done in like short spaces of time.
im good at writing but i always write so much for essays as i strugle with shortening notes down.

year history is a lot more essay based in comparison to geography. But if your good at it then it shouldn’t be an issue. Have a look at some past papers and see what you think about the questions for both history and geography, it will give you a better understanding of the content, and look at the mark schemes too!
Original post by WillowGW
year history is a lot more essay based in comparison to geography. But if your good at it then it shouldn’t be an issue. Have a look at some past papers and see what you think about the questions for both history and geography, it will give you a better understanding of the content, and look at the mark schemes too!

thanks! im taking a look rn!
thank you! our school does AQA aswell
i love learining about the cold war/ communism/ russia BUT i also love learining development/urban issues/economies (i find human geography WAY more interesting)
its honestly such a hard decision! i would do them both but i want to do an enterprise GCSE aswell

No problem! I agree with you - I loved Human Geography a lot more than Physical Geography, and the case studies were so interesting! (We looked at a floating school in Lagos, Nigeria. As well as Mumbai!) I would recommend (like Willow suggested) to look at your school's website to see the topics you will be studying then going through past papers and thinking 'would I find this interesting? Would I be able to answer this question?'

On the topic of Enterprise (which I assume is like Business). I really wanted to do Business for GCSE, but I chose Drama over it (which was definitely worth it). I hope this helped!
No problem! I agree with you - I loved Human Geography a lot more than Physical Geography, and the case studies were so interesting! (We looked at a floating school in Lagos, Nigeria. As well as Mumbai!) I would recommend (like Willow suggested) to look at your school's website to see the topics you will be studying then going through past papers and thinking 'would I find this interesting? Would I be able to answer this question?'

On the topic of Enterprise (which I assume is like Business). I really wanted to do Business for GCSE, but I chose Drama over it (which was definitely worth it). I hope this helped!

i love doing case studies lol
our school gave us a booklet with like 40 pages in that describes the content of every gcse subject thats available so ive been reading it but history & geography both sound so good but based on what everyones saying im leaning towards geography!
yeah enterprise is a BTEC option in my school which is basically business but more practical
im also doing music, so i have one option left which is history/geography
our school gave us a booklet with like 40 pages in that describes the content of every gcse subject thats available so ive been reading it but history & geography both sound so good but based on what everyones saying im leaning towards geography!
yeah enterprise is a BTEC option in my school which is basically business but more practical

Oh that is very helpful! These videos might also help you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1rAxCqWL8 [History]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RLHF7pu_0 [Geography]
Oh that is very helpful! These videos might also help you decide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN1rAxCqWL8 [History]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RLHF7pu_0 [Geography]

thank you!! :smile:
thank you!! :smile:

No problem! What other subjects are you planning on taking (other than Enterprise and Music)?

If I were you I wouldn’t do enterprise. What other options you got? :smile:
Original post by Safwan Chowdhury
If I were you I wouldn’t do enterprise. What other options you got? :smile:

oh why shouldnt i do enterprise??!?! please tell me cause idk what im getting my self into
so far ive got;
1- music
2- enterprise
3- german
4- history or geography
No problem! What other subjects are you planning on taking (other than Enterprise and Music)?

i only get 3 options because i have to do german
so im doing:
music
enterprise
german
then either geography/history

Quick Reply

Latest