The Student Room Group

Geography or history?!??!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by onacapogrossi
hmm okay thanks for the advice

If u need more info just ask your maths teacher
HI GUYS PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE AS IM GOOD AT THEM BOTH!!!!!
Any advice on what to choose is appreciated!!
thanks <33

Why do you have to do one of them? There's no compusion to do one of them ....
Original post by Muttley79
Why do you have to do one of them? There's no compusion to do one of them ....

Because they like & enjoy the subject?
ohhh ok! ill think about that! thanks

well probably either religious studies idk
so do unis not like btec qualifications? im reconsidering now

You \re getting a LOT of bad advice - BTeCs are fine.

I teach Maths and say take RS not Stats ...

Why do you have to take German?
Original post by Safwan Chowdhury
Because they like & enjoy the subject?

Where did they say that - it sounds like the school is making them choose.

Is that even relevant? They're asking for help making a decision.

thanks lol!
its cause im in set one german and set one maths so i on the blue pathway which in my school means i have to do a language

i want the EBACC thing and u have to do a humanity!
thanks lol!
its cause im in set one german and set one maths so i on the blue pathway which in my school means i have to do a language

Good! Languages are fun, keep practising, keep learning. They will help you and if you have a passion and utilise it, it'll translate into a good grade. :wink: You also get the EBACC
(edited 2 years ago)
thanks lol!

There is no law to say you have to do a language - it's for the school's benefit, not yours. I teach in a selective school and we allow students not to take a language - no uni requires one.
Is that even relevant? They're asking for help making a decision.

They could do neither though ... that's my opinion.
Good! Languages are fun, keep practising, keep learning. They will help you and if you have a passion and utilise it, it'll translate into a good grade. :wink: You also get the EBACC

yeah i love learing german!:h:
There is no law to say you have to do a language - it's for the school's benefit, not yours. I teach in a selective school and we allow students not to take a language - no uni requires one.

Many schools make it compulsory actually. UCL - requires a language? And if they enjoy it, why not?

i want to do german tho
They could do neither though ... that's my opinion.

If that was the case the question would've been phrased differently. Its evident that the student wants to take one of them.
If that was the case the question would've been phrased differently. Its evident that the student wants to take one of them.

yep
i want to do german tho

That's fine then - do you actually want to take History or Geog or is there something else you prefer?
Reply 77
HI GUYS PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE AS IM GOOD AT THEM BOTH!!!!!
Any advice on what to choose is appreciated!!
thanks <33

I maybe a bit biased as I like geography a lot more, but do the one that is you are better at, more enjoyable, if you have any older sibling who did either geo or history , and more related to your future career.

I told my brother (Y9 currently) that but then said I can help him more in geography.
(edited 2 years ago)
Many schools make it compulsory actually. UCL - requires a language? And if they enjoy it, why not?

No UCL do not make it compulsory and never have - there was a work around and they've removed the requirement anyway
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/news/2021/mar/suspension-modern-foreign-language-mfl-requirement

No school can MAKE a student study a language for GCSE - it's not a compulsory subject in KS4.

Please don't give wrong information

BTECs are appropriate if you're the type of person who can't handle GCSE workload. @onacapogrossi is a high achieving student i'm sure she'd be able to do GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest