The Student Room Group

The pill and weight gain

Okay so I’ve been off the pill for about 7 months now after being on it for only 8. My mental health was awful at the time so I needed a break (not sure if it was pill or me).

I didn’t gain weight from my old pill (microgynon), but does the pill (both types) actually make you gain weight??? I would like to try a new one again as my periods are quite irregular and I don’t really like relying on condoms. I would like to try microgynon again, but at the same time I’d also like something new, but the thought of gaining weight is putting me off trying a new brand.

(Also, are mood swings less likely on the mini pill?, I got recommended Yaz one time but the risk of blood clots terrifies me).
I lost weight on the mini pill, I was hoping to gain but no such luck.
I gained a little ofweight on the mini pill and my mental health was the worse it ever been when I was on it I felt down and I just wanted to stay in bed and then it caused to cut myself cos my moods were so bad I couldn't control it and I'm using hana which is strongest mini pill u can have and works in just 2 days I'm currently on 2nd week so I haven't been having bad mood just been emotional and I was in the danger side effects mostly cos of the bad thoughts I was having but I did end up having to take a break from them and the bleeding withdrawal was a nightmare and painful cramps

But mini pills are better cos it only takes them 2 days to work if you start them any time and it works straight away if on day 1 of period
Reply 3
Did you find a contraceptive formula that made you gain weight?
Reply 4
Nope, I’ve only taken microgynon (pill), it didn’t make me gain weight at all, if anything I thought my face went slimmer? But that could’ve been me working out at the time.
Reply 5
Original post by Mils1669
Did you find a contraceptive formula that made you gain weight?

Also, I’ve not tried any other contraceptive formula yet, I’m debating if I should try microgynon again, but I’m scared if it’ll make me sad again (if that was even the cause).
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I lost weight on the mini pill, I was hoping to gain but no such luck.

Did you gain weight with any other contraceptive methods if tried?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Nope, I’ve only taken microgynon (pill), it didn’t make me gain weight at all, if anything I thought my face went slimmer? But that could’ve been me working out at the time.

I apologise my reply was meant for the other user’s comment! I’m starting Cerazette, but I’m underweight and don’t mind weight gain.
Imo it’s not worth it if it’s making you feel constantly depressed, so best to try something different for sure and see how you feel? I hope you find something that works for you x

Quick Reply

Latest