The Student Room Group

accused of plagiarism/collusion what should I do?

I mistakenly sent my work to my friends show were rlly struggling with their assignment thinking they would use it as a guide, but turns out they copied the whole thing and now I’ve been accused of plagiarism and have a chance to provide a written statement. My friend have said that we should say that we planned it together, but I don’t know if this is enough so that I don’t get a complete 0. I don’t know whether to just own up and say I sent it to them and they copied it or to go along with the idea that they planned the work together?
what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

All options stink, you were daft. Your 'friend' is nothing of the sort.

I suspect your best bet is honesty that you broke the rules and shared your work, and were then a victim of plagiarism. Saying you both planned it is collusion and debatably even worse. Your 'friend' has totally made a sucker of you and actually has the cheek to ask you to take equal blame...
Tell them that you sent it to them, don’t say you wrote it together when you didn’t! That would get you in more trouble, when you didn’t do any plagiarising.
You need to put yourself first here and not cover for your ‘friend’. I agree that they aren’t a true friend if they would copy your work, and then not admit to their mistake.
If this is true then you need to drop them in it. Completely.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
All options stink, you were daft. Your 'friend' is nothing of the sort.

I suspect your best bet is honesty that you broke the rules and shared your work, and were then a victim of plagiarism. Saying you both planned it is collusion and debatably even worse. Your 'friend' has totally made a sucker of you and actually has the cheek to ask you to take equal blame...

I didn’t even think about how we would all get equal blame when they did the plagiarising, not me. I just don’t like conflict, but I agree that I should put myself first here...
Come clean and hope for the best.

Disregard everything this 'friend' suggests as they've already proven themselves to be a cretin.
Reply 6
Your best option (as is pretty much always the case) is to be honest. Plus, honesty is the easiest to prove!
You made a mistake, the worst thing you could do is lie because that will make things worse and imply you have some dishonest behaviour/motives to hide.
I agree, tell the truth. If they go back and look at other things you and your "friends" have written (which they probably will), it'll be obvious whose style this piece is written in.
Original post by Anonymous
I mistakenly sent my work to my friends show were rlly struggling with their assignment thinking they would use it as a guide, but turns out they copied the whole thing and now I’ve been accused of plagiarism and have a chance to provide a written statement. My friend have said that we should say that we planned it together, but I don’t know if this is enough so that I don’t get a complete 0. I don’t know whether to just own up and say I sent it to them and they copied it or to go along with the idea that they planned the work together?
what should I do?

Speak to your SU for advice and come clean. Getting 0 is the least of your concerns depending on your university's policies surrounding these matters.

Did you not pay attention to the academic misconduct lectures/talks/emails given to you at the very start of university? How could you have done this...
(edited 2 years ago)
Why did you do something so stupid?? People can't be trusted to reword stuff, most are too lazy and lack the brain cells to do so. Do not claim you did it together because then you're admitting to plagiarism and could be expelled. Explain what happened, drop him as a friend and NEVER send your work to ANYONE ever again.
Think of yourself. It is YOU who could be forced to leave the uni, YOU who will suffer a 0 for the assignment and YOU who would have to explain any uni gaps on your CV. This friend is no friend at all. Get in touch immediately with an SU officer and ask for an appointment with them, then ask them to represent you if the uni drags you in for a face-to-face interview. Be honest, even to the point of saying your 'friend' asked you to cover their plagiarism up. All the best.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Speak to your SU for advice and come clean. Getting 0 is the least of your concerns depending on your university's policies surrounding these matters.

Did you not pay attention to the academic misconduct lectures/talks/emails given to you at the very start of university? How could you have done this...

I know it was so stupid. We had a tutorial about plagiarism, but it was mostly about copying others work, nothing about sending work, but it is still my fault for being dumb enough to even do that. I just wanted to be helpful and they kept asking so in the end I just sent it to get them off my back
I know it was so stupid. We had a tutorial about plagiarism, but it was mostly about copying others work, nothing about sending work, but it is still my fault for being dumb enough to even do that. I just wanted to be helpful and they kept asking so in the end I just sent it to get them off my back

Your "friend" is a **** of the highest order.

Hopefully your honesty in the matter will be considered in any disciplinary action.
(edited 2 years ago)
what should I do?

Honesty is the best policy.

It's not your fault - don't worry! But remember this as a lesson for the future. It is good to be helpful and be kind, but like others said - some people (like your 'friend'), will take advantage of this. If someone is struggling definitely try your best to support them but don't send them your whole essay!
Original post by Liliette
It's not your fault - don't worry! But remember this as a lesson for the future. It is good to be helpful and be kind, but like others said - some people (like your 'friend'), will take advantage of this. If someone is struggling definitely try your best to support them but don't send them your whole essay!

I'm not in favour of kicking them when they're down, but it IS their fault, rules = broken or they wouldn't now be in this situation. Also they should totally worry imo, they are presently at risk of expulsion, how they present themselves next will be key.
+

Original post by StriderHort
I'm not in favour of kicking them when they're down, but it IS their fault, rules = broken or they wouldn't now be in this situation. Also they should totally worry imo, they are presently at risk of expulsion, how they present themselves next will be key.

You make a very good point! Maybe I'm too positive. :redface:

Presumably you have draft versions which will be dated earlier or notes to show who did the work. DO NOT say you worked together - just be truthful.

Distance your self from this person and don't share work again.
Friends won’t help you get your grades at university you have to earn it the hard way, it is the difference between a first class and a third level degree overall how heavy this influences your overall grade who knows. 🤷*♂️🤦*♂️
what should I do?

hi @Anonymous

As others have said - come clean and own up. Be honest and don't trip yourself up with more lies. You need to put yourself first.

~ Leanne, 2nd year Midwifery Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending