The Student Room Group

Fast Stream Generalist 2022

A forum for those starting the Civil Service Generalist Fast Stream 2022.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did anyone on here apply as a Civil Servant?

I emailed the Fast Stream support team as requested on Friday to let them know i'm a current Civil Servant, anyone know how long they will take to respond?
Reply 2
Original post by ANATO75
Did anyone on here apply as a Civil Servant?

I emailed the Fast Stream support team as requested on Friday to let them know i'm a current Civil Servant, anyone know how long they will take to respond?

I’m in the same boat - I think they are really busy so I don’t think anything will be particularly quick
Reply 3
Original post by Stephy26
I’m in the same boat - I think they are really busy so I don’t think anything will be particularly quick

Thanks, glad to know i'm not alone!

Hoping the checks run a little quicker as i'm a Civil Servant, though in my experience of switching departments I know that doesn't mean much lol.
Reply 4
For anyone joining the Generalist stream this year, I received this info from someone who has completed the scheme:

"My knowledge might be a bit outdated. This was true pre-pandemic.

Three-year scheme, with three one year postings. You can express a preference for where you want to be based, but unless you have specific caring responsibilities, you are expected to move if they find a job they consider to be better for you. You find out around two months before your new job that you need to move, and you get a pretty solid relocation support offer, including two visits to the location in question, two days of special leave and accommodation to find somewhere, and up to £2k to pay for relocation.

You are assessed throughout your posting based on a bunch of paperwork that you draft yourself. Actual assessment is exceptionally light touch during the scheme itself, your issue is more likely to be issues within the job. At the end of the three years, you face an assessment panel for whom you need to draft evidence you have six appropriate G7 competencies and can demonstrate alignment to the principles of leadership.

Once you pass the assessment panel, you are considered a G7 and can apply for jobs on a level transfer. If you don't find one in a number of months, they start offering you ones, and then after six months, I think they kind of force one on you. My lived experience was that Fast Stream 'graduates' were a lot less bureaucratic for teams to hire, so there was a lot of demand for them as long as you were competent.

All I would say is that if you are an ambitious civil servant in a dynamic department, the year long postings and the three years to G7 might actually slow you down."
Reply 5
Congratulations to everyone who got in.

For the next steps, I have emailed them the required details but have not received an automated acknowledgement email or any other reply. Is this normal?

or should I email them again.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ANATO75
For anyone joining the Generalist stream this year, I received this info from someone who has completed the scheme:

"My knowledge might be a bit outdated. This was true pre-pandemic.

Three-year scheme, with three one year postings. You can express a preference for where you want to be based, but unless you have specific caring responsibilities, you are expected to move if they find a job they consider to be better for you. You find out around two months before your new job that you need to move, and you get a pretty solid relocation support offer, including two visits to the location in question, two days of special leave and accommodation to find somewhere, and up to £2k to pay for relocation.

You are assessed throughout your posting based on a bunch of paperwork that you draft yourself. Actual assessment is exceptionally light touch during the scheme itself, your issue is more likely to be issues within the job. At the end of the three years, you face an assessment panel for whom you need to draft evidence you have six appropriate G7 competencies and can demonstrate alignment to the principles of leadership.

Once you pass the assessment panel, you are considered a G7 and can apply for jobs on a level transfer. If you don't find one in a number of months, they start offering you ones, and then after six months, I think they kind of force one on you. My lived experience was that Fast Stream 'graduates' were a lot less bureaucratic for teams to hire, so there was a lot of demand for them as long as you were competent.

All I would say is that if you are an ambitious civil servant in a dynamic department, the year long postings and the three years to G7 might actually slow you down."

Interesting experience to read, just two random questions-
Is there any way one can fail Fast Stream. Or do they make sure that everyone passes and gets a permanent job?
Also is it possible to apply for G6/7 postions while being part of the FS?
Reply 7
Original post by Senior1
Interesting experience to read, just two random questions-
Is there any way one can fail Fast Stream. Or do they make sure that everyone passes and gets a permanent job?
Also is it possible to apply for G6/7 postions while being part of the FS?

You can 'fail' (though it's difficult to fail from what i've heard) but you won't be without a job. If you fail the assessments consistently you'll just be 'mainstreamed' into a HEO or SEO job depending where you are on the scheme.

Also, you can apply for any job whilst on the scheme, a fair number of people jump off early from what i've heard.
Reply 8
Original post by Senior1
Congratulations to everyone who got in.

For the next steps, I have emailed them the required details but have not received an automated acknowledgement email or any other reply. Is this normal?

or should I email them again.

This is normal, i'm in the same boat.
Reply 9
Original post by ANATO75
This is normal, i'm in the same boat.

Okay, just to confirm did you receive any automated reply when you sent the email. Saying something like they would respond in a few days.
Also when did you receive your offer?
Reply 10
Original post by Senior1
Okay, just to confirm did you receive any automated reply when you sent the email. Saying something like they would respond in a few days.

Received my offer on 10/02, sent them an email on 11/02, not received any response or automated reply.
Reply 11
Original post by Senior1

I've received a welcome email now
Hiya just checking… I received my welcome email what info do we need to be sending back? I must be missing something. I sent back the candidate form
Reply 13
Original post by Stephy26
Hiya just checking… I received my welcome email what info do we need to be sending back? I must be missing something. I sent back the candidate form

I sent back the info/security form. Filled out the survey that was linked in the welcome pack, and because i'm a Civil Servant, filled in some details pertaining to that!
Original post by ANATO75
I sent back the info/security form. Filled out the survey that was linked in the welcome pack, and because i'm a Civil Servant, filled in some details pertaining to that!

Thank so much
Reply 15
Original post by ANATO75
Received my offer on 10/02, sent them an email on 11/02, not received any response or automated reply.

Thanks for confirming, Good to know we are all in the same boat.
I have also received my welcome pack and have completed the survey and emailed them the form. Now let's all wait to hear the next steps.
Hey all I received my offer today. Im a current civil servant so trying to weigh up my options

Can I decide not to go onto the scheme later on and still keep my job?

Also, if were made to relocate to idk london etc do we get relocation costs/london weight?
Reply 17
Original post by Bahaha12
Hey all I received my offer today. Im a current civil servant so trying to weigh up my options

Can I decide not to go onto the scheme later on and still keep my job?

Also, if were made to relocate to idk london etc do we get relocation costs/london weight?

Hey, congrats!

You can jump off the scheme at any point and you'll be "mainstreamed" into a role, though you won't get to choose what role this is. If you decide to jump off before your Trajectory Assessment 18 months in, you'll be mainstreamed into a HEO role. After the TA, you'll be mainstreamed into an SEO role if you jump off.

In terms of relocation, if it's more than 1.5 hours from where you currently live, you can claim up to £2K in relocation costs, though there's no London weighting.

Hope this helps!
Reply 18
Hi everyone,

Has anyone received their formal offer letter or have had their checks and vetting completed?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Senior1
Hi everyone,

Has anyone received their formal offer letter or have had their checks and vetting completed?

Still waiting on my NSV security check to come back. you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending