Is it wrong to have money as your main motivator?

Watch this thread
hhhhhhhhh
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
On the issue of money at the moment I see lots of different mixed view points on the stance / mindset / philosophy one should take in order to obtain money or wealth etc etc
For example
- you should focus on “value” over money or
- you should not focus on money because then you wont get it or
- Family or self care should be first priority

My question is I guess is it ever really wrong to say for example “ money is my reason” or “money is my sole motivation to pursue goals “ etc etc ?
Last edited by hhhhhhhhh; 4 months ago
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
It's one of the things you need to live, so no.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It depends on the context.
I believe that it is fine to say willing to work long hours or accept antisocial shifts with an early start solely for the money.
Most people in western nations need access to money to pay bills, buy essentials & some extra treats, put aside some savings and fund retirement/education/hobbies/healthcare.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I spent a few hours today watching various Youtube vids regarding a man posting as Nikocado who is publicly eating himself into an obvious grave and has posted many times about the $2million odd penthouse flat that youtube payments have bought him etc.... he totally gonna die.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Imo it depends why your purpose is money. Like I see nothing wrong with wanting to be rich so you can travel, pursue other passions that you have, wanting to learn new skills which require money, or provide your family with a comfortable lifestyle that gives them more freedom and stability. But if your purpose is money purely for the sake of having lots of money without a real need for it then it's kinda shallow.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It's not "wrong" as such, everyone values different things.
But i am someone that has learnt a lot in the importance of prioritising my happiness rather than doing something i dislike just for the sake of money- though ofc this is a privilege position to be in if you can choose.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by hhhhhhhhh)
On the issue of money at the moment I see lots of different mixed view points on the stance / mindset / philosophy one should take in order to obtain money or wealth etc etc
For example

My question is I guess is it ever really wrong to say for example “ money is my reason” or “money is my sole motivation to pursue goals “ etc etc ?
Easy thought exercise: if money is your sole motivator, then what stops you from conning other people, stealing or murdering people if you can get away with it, to enrich yourself?

Nothing.

There are people like that. But if there's something stopping you from resorting to those things, then you can't say that money is your 'sole motivator'. If it were, you'd be a bit of a monster.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Nothing is wrong with having Money as a motivator at the end of the day we do not want to work for free since in this world currency is everything without it there can be complications in an individuals life! I especially need Money through my Part time Job currently without it how else do I pay for my Anime Subscription come on!
However, Family & Friends should be your number 1 priority, you could have all the money in the world yet have no one and be lonely that my friend would be heartbreaking.
:eek:
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Not really, plenty of people do. That being said, money on its own is decidedly not the best motivator, as it were, and can lead to some morally questionable behaviour. Its always best, and more fulfilling, to balance it with other goals e.g. work/life balance, personal fulfillment etc.
ChaameP
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
As someone who is money-orientated, it’s my main motivator to do a lot of things and with that, it allowed me to step out of my comfort zone. However, it’s not fully my main motivator, others are success (eg: getting an achievement) and ,sometimes, family. For me, it’s okay to be money orientated.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Money is a tool.

You need money to do a lot of things to make yourself comfortable and happy. It's not wrong to be motivated by money.
black tea
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
It's better to have some kind of motivator, even if it's not the most morally pure, than no motivator at all
tazarooni89
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
For example

It's not "wrong" but it can be foolish or counterproductive in certain situations.

In some professions, the people who go only into it for the money are rarely going to be the ones who actually end up making all the money. If you're an actor, you'll probably need to do a lot of low-paid or unpaid roles, put in a huge amount of effort and sacrifice with no guarantee that your "big break" will ever come. A person only motivated by money is likely to give up long before they ever actually make any. The people who push through anyway and do end up landing a big role will probably be the ones who love acting for its own sake, with the money just being a pleasant side effect.

There also comes a point where money stops being useful. It's a bit like food; you need a certain amount, but once you've got enough to satisfy your needs there's not much benefit in having vast amounts left over. You run out of actually meaningful things to do with it. This is why people who actually have a lot of money are rarely motivated by getting more of it. And if it's your only source of motivation, you'll probably lose that motivation once you've got enough.

Money is just one of many components you need to have a successful life. You also need things like free time, relationships, health, a sense of purpose, a feeling of accomplishment, a wide range of experiences etc. all of which are far more important than having something pointlessly expensive like a solid gold bathtub. If you're struggling to put food on the table then sure, it makes perfect sense to be motivated by money, as you're suffering without it. But for someone who's got a good amount of money already, the other components should start to take priority.
Last edited by tazarooni89; 3 months ago
econhelp525
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Sounds gauche and nouveau-riche to me. Whilst money sets one free, it's wrong to chase it at all costs. Would you really spend your formative years spending them taking exams to get into a career you don't want to do? Worse yet, work that job for ridiculous amount of hours whilst neglecting your family? You won't get two years spent in the office grinding back.
goggleyed
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
its definitely what motivates me so no
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I think a lot of the above comments have alluded to but talked around the fact which is that: money should not be your primary motivator; you should be motivated by something else, which may require money to achieve. Therefore you will be motivated to earn money to the extent it's necessary to pursue your primary motivation. If you are just pursuing money for the sake of having money you will quite likely find quickly that things don't pan out quite as you hoped.

Psychological studies have found people's self reported happiness does not increase linearly with income and after a certain yearly income (at the time I believe ~£40k but with inflation probably around £55k or so now) it actually plateaus. Various reasons may be inferred for this, e.g. Maslow's hierarchy of needs, where money will enable you to fulfill foundational needs but you can't achieve higher needs and self-actualization purely through the accumulation of capital.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 months ago
!!kuromii
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For example

As much as money is important to live a healthy life to bufood hygiene and everyday needs. Also money can also be a problem, because doing things solely because you want money can in my opinion Lead to a bad mindset.
Last edited by !!kuromii; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads