The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you are serious about the relationship and looking into you guys futures, I think the best way is just to ask him directly (in a casual sense maybe). Or perhaps you can also tell this by asking his dad’s diet habits etc
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If you are serious about the relationship and looking into you guys futures, I think the best way is just to ask him directly (in a casual sense maybe). Or perhaps you can also tell this by asking his dad’s diet habits etc

what if he thinks im racist?
I am half Moroccan. I have never met a Moroccan Jew.

Also why do Hindus hate Muslims so much? I dated a Hindu girl and when her family found out my mother was Muslim they were going to disown their daughter and send her to India over something so trivial like religion.

Backwards asf fr!
Original post by Sidehustle

Also why do Hindus hate Muslims so much? I dated a Hindu girl and when her family found out my mother was Muslim they were going to disown their daughter and send her to India over something so trivial like religion.

Backwards asf fr!

stigma and institutionalised racism
stigma and institutionalised racism that will always in the back of some Indian's mind

Islam isn't a race. The correct term would be islamophobia or religious prejudice.

As for OP, just tell your parents his dad is a moroccan jew.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6

Backwards asf fr!

I have also never heard of Moroccan Jews which is why I'm worried....

maybe I should date another hindu. my family aren't strict (they only said to me don't date a muslim) but sometimes dating within culture is so much easier!
I've met a few Moroccan jews, mostly from Essaouira.

You can always casually ask him if he is atheist and whether he celebrates Christmas.
Casually mentioning what you usually have for dinner on December 25 and your favourite bank holidays or celebrations.
His responses will probably tell you what you want to know.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
You have the freedom to choose when you want to date, your own dealbreakers and who you are willing to share information about your dating life with.
If you prefer not to mention your dating relationships to your parents/any relatives and want to protect your privacy in your private life, that's fine.
When I was living with parents I never told them if I had a date or bf.
Good luck!

Backwards asf fr!

Some people are staunchly committed to observing ancient family traditions like arranged marriages & endogamy and expect their younger relatives to continue their favourite traditions- with harsh punishments who all who disobey.
These can apply to lots of individuals, with a variety of religious and political backgrounds.

Tend to be focused on things like: caste, marriages to blood relatives, nationality, religion.
Sometimes educational background, politicial affiliations and wealth levels too.
I have also never heard of Moroccan Jews which is why I'm worried....

maybe I should date another hindu. my family aren't strict (they only said to me don't date a muslim) but sometimes dating within culture is so much easier!

Judaism is matrilineal, so why would his father being Jewish matter?

Backwards asf fr!

my mom is from India and she said that if I (a female) ever married a Muslim boy, she would pretty much disown me too.
I think that it's because of the many events that took place years and years ago between India and Pakistan.

Backwards asf fr!

Religion isn't trivial...
Anyhow Muslims aren't allowed to marry Hindus- so these situations theoretically should never take place.
my mom is from India and she said that if I (a female) ever married a Muslim boy, she would pretty much disown me too.
I think that it's because of the many events that took place years and years ago between India and Pakistan.

You do realise that there is a substantial number of Muslim Indians, right?
Original post by black tea
You do realise that there is a substantial number of Muslim Indians, right?

i fully understand that. but I'm talking about what my mother thinks. Even this distant relative of mine got married to a Muslim (she's fully Indian) and no one from the family ever spoke to her again due to the shame she put on the family.
i fully understand that. but I'm talking about what my mother thinks. Even this distant relative of mine got married to a Muslim (she's fully Indian) and no one from the family ever spoke to her again due to the shame she put on the family.

Yes, mine aren't strict and even they said no muslim.

It really is that big a deal
Original post by sufys12
Religion isn't trivial...
Anyhow Muslims aren't allowed to marry Hindus- so these situations theoretically should never take place.

Many do.
Regardless of the hostile ancient leadership pronouncements and scriptural fire&brimstone verses.
These type of interfaith dating & marriage arrangements occur quite often amongst desis and the bollywood crowd.:cool:
Yes, mine aren't strict and even they said no muslim.

It really is that big a deal

I fully understand you. I'm literally too scared to date a Muslim because of it.
I guess I've just been brought up that way.
my parents are fine with any other culture and religion but Muslims, and as I said, it must be due to the past events that occurred between Pakistan and india.
Original post by black tea
Judaism is matrilineal, so why would his father being Jewish matter?

In India there is often a widespread perception that the religious affiliation, caste background, income and nationality of the father is most important.
Likely because of the entrenched "head of the household" role traditionally apportioned to husbands and fathers.
Original post by londonmyst
In India there is often a widespread perception that the religious affiliation, caste background, income and nationality of the father is most important.
Likely because of the entrenched "head of the household" role traditionally apportioned to husbands and fathers.

I am aware. That doesn't change the fact Judaism is matrilineal though.

I am sorry to hear that. You are her daughter, its shocking she would disown her own child over someone you love.

Its 2022, hopefully this archaic mindset dies out when the old heads pass away and we are able to progress as a society
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending