The Student Room Group

What was your problem with EU migrants?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's funny that many (but not all) Brexiteers voted Leave because they didn't want immigrants, wanted to control borders etc. Well, here's a rude awakening: 1) Most EU migrants are culturally/ socially/ religiously quite similar to British people and integrate quite well in the UK, 2) There's been an obvious exodus of EU migrants, 3) The UK is becoming more and more islamic, where migrants from countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh are (mostly) not culturally/ socially/ religiously similar to Brits. This is the fastest growing demographic in the UK due to a plethora of factors, of which illegal immigration is just a small part of it, and it will become more and more predominant over time. So basically the UK chose to close its doors to Poles, Greeks, Spanish, Italians, etc. but has no problem with letting the country become more and more like Pakistan. I live in London and whenever I go to Oxford street right in the centre, it's clear it's not Britain, it's Pakistan. Current parliament has 18 muslim MPs, the highest ever, it's just a matter of time until this demographic is able to set its own agenda. So while Brexiteers wanted to "protect" British values and the British way of life from the EU, apparently they are OK to allow the UK to become more and more like Pakistan. Great.
Original post by johnpeterson20
I think it's funny that many (but not all) Brexiteers voted Leave because they didn't want immigrants, wanted to control borders etc. Well, here's a rude awakening: 1) Most EU migrants are culturally/ socially/ religiously quite similar to British people and integrate quite well in the UK, 2) There's been an obvious exodus of EU migrants, 3) The UK is becoming more and more islamic, where migrants from countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh are (mostly) not culturally/ socially/ religiously similar to Brits. This is the fastest growing demographic in the UK due to a plethora of factors, of which illegal immigration is just a small part of it, and it will become more and more predominant over time. So basically the UK chose to close its doors to Poles, Greeks, Spanish, Italians, etc. but has no problem with letting the country become more and more like Pakistan. I live in London and whenever I go to Oxford street right in the centre, it's clear it's not Britain, it's Pakistan. Current parliament has 18 muslim MPs, the highest ever, it's just a matter of time until this demographic is able to set its own agenda. So while Brexiteers wanted to "protect" British values and the British way of life from the EU, apparently they are OK to allow the UK to become more and more like Pakistan. Great.

Many brexiteers voted leave because they wanted to end the practically unrestricted lawful immigration of eu citizens, remove their eligibility to access uk welfare funds/student loans/council accomodation, exit the jurisdiction of the ECHR, leave the CEAS and significantly the limit the ability of european based organised crime groups & dodgy gangmaster operations to operate at a profit within uk territories by exploiting the grey areas within our laws.
The uk is not islamic nor anything like an authoritarian asian republic and never will be.
Original post by londonmyst
The uk is not islamic nor anything like an authoritarian asian republic and never will be.

While the first part is factually correct as of now, the second part ("never will be") is incredibly naive.
Original post by hyped22
While the first part is factually correct as of now, the second part ("never will be") is incredibly naive.

While possible it's worth noting that it requires continued stupidity. Even the most agressive estimates to 2050 are in the 15-20% range.
Original post by Rakas21
While possible it's worth noting that it requires continued stupidity. Even the most agressive estimates to 2050 are in the 15-20% range.

15%-20% of what, % of total UK population? That only tells part of the story - UK muslims are concentrated in specific urban areas and they are growing in influence and political clout (someone mentioned the record number of current MPs). But the real important aspect is that there are people - mostly on the left - that prefer multiculturalism over integration, political correctness over freedom of speech. In that sense, they will enable any political agenda that includes things such as blasphemy laws, etc.

15%-20% of total UK population would mean that the majority of London is muslim.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by londonmyst
Many brexiteers voted leave because they wanted to end the practically unrestricted lawful immigration of eu citizens, remove their eligibility to access uk welfare funds/student loans/council accomodation, exit the jurisdiction of the ECHR, leave the CEAS and significantly the limit the ability of european based organised crime groups & dodgy gangmaster operations to operate at a profit within uk territories by exploiting the grey areas within our laws.

ECHR is not an EU institution. It is entirely separate.
I think this image answers the question:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Henk-Van-Houtum/publication/337260503/figure/fig5/AS:825185838047232@1573751043782/Brexit-Map-Source-Kent-2016.png

It says "The EU is letting in more and more countries", and lists Albania, Macedonia, Monte*****, Serbia and Turkey as "countries set to join the EU". It highlights these countries on the map, and for some reason highlights Syria and Iraq as well. And it has a big red arrow from those countries pointing to the UK.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
I think this image answers the question:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Henk-Van-Houtum/publication/337260503/figure/fig5/AS:825185838047232@1573751043782/Brexit-Map-Source-Kent-2016.png

It says "The EU is letting in more and more countries", and lists Albania, Macedonia, Monte*****, Serbia and Turkey as "countries set to join the EU". It highlights these countries on the map, and for some reason highlights Syria and Iraq as well. And it has a big red arrow from those countries pointing to the UK.

I assume Syria and Iraq are on there to highlight that Turkey borders an unstable region full of terrorists.

But yeah, even if we can let Albania, Bosnia and Kosovo slide (Muslim states but small populations), the fact that Turkey is permitted to be an applicant is of genuine long term concern.

Granted it did not impact my Brexit vote or my general view on immigrants/asylum seekers.
Turkey will never join the EU. Plus it is kind of a moot point as the UK (before leaving the EU), or any other EU member country, can block Turkey’s accession (or any other candidate nation)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hyped22
Turkey will never join the EU. Plus it is kind of a moot point as the UK, or any other country, could’ve blocked Turkey’s accession (or any other candidate nation)

So long as the EU remains unfederalised I agree but the core EU institutions of the EU when given power are certainly greedy and corrupt enough to commit such a significant ethno cultural change given the chance. It is why they continue to allow Turkey applicant status.

Ironically for a Brexiteer I actually do believe the EU (though not whole) will federalise.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by LordFarquaad
Most EU migrants were German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.

And my question is, with respect to Brexit, how did keeping these people out made the UK a much better place to live? as in, what were you afraid of that is finally over? French people beating you with baguettes?

We are French. William the Conqueror was from Normandy.
wtf is going on with this thread jesus
Original post by Pythian
We are French. William the Conqueror was from Normandy.

The Normans of course we're a mixture of French and Viking and vassals to the French king rather than strictly French (albeit the Frankish Empire had culturally made everybody French).
Reply 33
Original post by yepimbored
wtf is going on with this thread jesus

No much over the ast couple of months until you showed up.

Now it's gone pure wild.
Original post by Rakas21
The Normans of course we're a mixture of French and Viking and vassals to the French king rather than strictly French (albeit the Frankish Empire had culturally made everybody French).

Indeed. Much obliged :hat2:
Original post by Rakas21
The idea that the west destroyed the Middle East is amusing considering that of the two states we invaded, one had tried using chemical weapons on his own people and the other had links to Al Quada.

The truth is that most of the third world is not capable of governing itself (it is culturally inferior to the west) and if we simply left them alone the result would be an Isis like state spreading like a plague.

I used to think getting rid of Saddam was a good thing but now I think it’s one of the worst mistakes the west ever made. He kept things like ISIS in check, you should read about his crackdown on the Islamists in the late 70's and early 80's it was a thing of beauty. He recognised the damage Islam could do on the state if left unchecked and implemented rules on what was considered a reasonable interpretation of Islam. He encouraged female equality in things like education and career. Islam truly is a disease to any nation when allowed to run rampant and it required ruthless people like Saddam to keep it in check because of the base fundamentalism inherent in Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending