Can bad GCSEs still have a chance to get into a good uni?

Watch this thread
JPF6
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I didn't get the greatest GCSE results, but not the worst. I passed all my GCSEs but they're not high enough to get into the big universities that i want to aim for. For example, I got a 5 in maths however i want to go onto achieve a BSc in Finance which most universities need a grade 7 or above at GCSE maths. Does the GCSE criteria matter that much?
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
You could always re-sit. Make sure to smash out your A-levels and I don't see why they'd turn you down if you have outstanding A-levels but mediocre GCSEs.
username5911962
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JPF6)
I didn't get the greatest GCSE results, but not the worst. I passed all my GCSEs but they're not high enough to get into the big universities that i want to aim for. For example, I got a 5 in maths however i want to go onto achieve a BSc in Finance which most universities need a grade 7 or above at GCSE maths. Does the GCSE criteria matter that much?
Universities firstly look at A level results then the GCSE's in Maths, English and Sciences. If your preferred course depends on a high Maths GCSE result there is no way round it, other than to resit the GCSE. If your A level is below a B grade then think seriously about whether a BSc in Finance is really for you or whether another course would be preferable. However, at this stage, I would suggest resitting the GCSE. However, some of the top universities don't accept GCSE or A level resit results. It would be wise to check the university's criteria for accepting resit results now.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by user432)
You could always re-sit. Make sure to smash out your A-levels and I don't see why they'd turn you down if you have outstanding A-levels but mediocre GCSEs.
Generally universities arent too fussed about GCSE results. However where they specify a grade in a set subject if you dont meet it then you are usually automatically rejected.

The course you are looking to study is mathematical based so universities will require a higher grade in GCSE Maths and this is irrespective of how good your A level results. The grade in Maths is what a university thinks you need to complete their course. Your options are to resit your Maths to achieve the grade, look for universities that dont require a higher grade or take a less Mathematocal course.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Just remember that if you struggled with basic Maths at GCSE level then a Maths heavy subject like Finance is not the best degree - or career - to aim for.
symptom
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You could always resit maths privately. Just bang out maths made easy questions and DFM.
Faith_24
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Just remember that if you struggled with basic Maths at GCSE level then a Maths heavy subject like Finance is not the best degree - or career - to aim for.
They didn't say they necessarily struggled, it may have been circumstances etc, nothing's impossible to aim for if they're ready to work hard for it.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
You should retake (and study hard) for GCSE maths. You don't wan't to start a finance degree and struggle. Equally you don't want to give up easily.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
The advice given previously is absolutely correct. Many universities actually require grade A at A level Maths and a 5 at GCSE is not good preparation for that type of course. If someone has a 5 then clearly they have struggled and a less Maths heavy course would appear to be a more sensible option. Giving someone false hope rather than being honest wont help anyone. There is a vast difference between someone getting a 5 and a 7.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads