The Student Room Group

Tiffins Girls Sixth Form 2022

Hi! I have an offer for Tiffins sixth form next year, but I'm unsure about whether I should accept it😬. Could someone who attends the school now let me know what the atmosphere is like? I know the schools good for science but is good for subjects like english, history, economics etc. I've heard its underfunded in some departments?? Also does anyone know if the school is good at helping people who want to do law get into uni (i know it's really good for medicine but what about law?). Does anyone know whether many people get into Oxbridge for Law? Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by anjali1234223443
Hi! I have an offer for Tiffins sixth form next year, but I'm unsure about whether I should accept it😬. Could someone who attends the school now let me know what the atmosphere is like? I know the schools good for science but is good for subjects like english, history, economics etc. I've heard its underfunded in some departments?? Also does anyone know if the school is good at helping people who want to do law get into uni (i know it's really good for medicine but what about law?). Does anyone know whether many people get into Oxbridge for Law? Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!

If you rejected Tiffin, where would you go? While yes Tiffin is quite good in the sciences it is also solid in the other departments as well. May not be as good as the sciences, but enough to get you into Oxbridge Law. A lot of the work needed into getting into Oxbridge comes down to you and hardly any of it is down to the type of school you go to.
Reply 2
I go there rn and it is quite good academically but mental health wise it is the worst place you could go. The assessments and end of years are always way harder than what an actual paper would look like and the grade boundaries aren’t adjusted to take this into account so often will be higher than actual grade boundaries for a normal paper (e.g. 91% for an A* in maths when irl an 85% would be an A*) although this isn’t the case for all subjects. This isn’t too bad during assessments but when you get your predicted grades based on end of years the grade boundaries will be much higher for a harder paper. The atmosphere is very competitive and (in my lessons at least) people are a bit scared to ask for help ( we once had to go over a chapter again as nobody in the class understood but nobody told the teacher until she asked if she should go over it).

IMO the English department is really good teaching wise and so is economics but I’m not too sure abt history.
I think the main thing is the workload as sometimes there will be teaching right up to the beginning of exams and they will include those topics as well which is kind of annoying.

A lot more people than average get into oxbridge for law but then again it’s mainly due to the really high grades people get (which you could get anyway if you work hard) and the amount of personal statement support but that’s basically it.

Overall it’s academically a very good school and if u don’t mind everything else then I’d say go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest