The Student Room Group

Around what time does university start?

I’m in y13 right now and can’t find an answer anywhere, when does university start for year 1 university students? And if anyone knows when does it usually start for medial school? Is it good to prepare to move out before results day or do u have enough time to get everything ready after results day including finding accommodation?
Have you tried just googling "universityname term dates". I just tried a couple at random:

"university of southampton term dates" gets me to https://www.southampton.ac.uk/about/term-dates.page which says that last year they started on Monday 27 September 2021.

"university of manchester term dates" gets me to https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/key-dates/ which says that this year Semester 1 starts on 19 September 2022, although online induction (new students) starts on 12 September 2022.

Hello, fellow Y13 student. I think the best way to tell when university is going to start is through the university's website. They usually have term dates stated somewhere in their website. For Example, Exeter's Autumn term is starting on the 20th of September. Good luck with your studies and your university application.
Original post by Leaha2203
I’m in y13 right now and can’t find an answer anywhere, when does university start for year 1 university students? And if anyone knows when does it usually start for medial school? Is it good to prepare to move out before results day or do u have enough time to get everything ready after results day including finding accommodation?

University term dates vary between universities and will start sometime in September or October. These can usually be googled. For freshers you usually go a week earlier for freshers week.

Check on UCAS? Email or call up? Ask current students? On the university's course website?
(edited 2 years ago)
Varies between unis, and medical school term dates are usually different to most other students even in the same uni as well. So there isn't really a single answer.
You will usually be expected to move-in to Uni housing the weekend before Freshers week starts - ie. an extra week before the term actually starts.
Reply 7

they normally start the 19/20th of sept or the start of oct
you can also check by going on the "complete university guide" and then select your uni & course you will find it somewhere on that page
(edited 2 years ago)
For accommodation, if you're going in uni accommodation, you'll be sent info when you firm an offer and then you apply. When assigned some accommodation, you'll get all the info about moving in etc. and they'll give dates or a weekend for moving in (info on things like parking too, for drop offs).

In most cases you will apply for accommodation after you make your firm choice of university, long before results day.

If you get your grades for your firm choice, yay! All sorted.

If you don't, so you end up going to your insurance, or somewhere else via clearing, then if you are lucky then you'll still get university accommodation. You might not, at which point it will be a bit of a scramble to get things sorted, but in practice you'll find somewhere, not least because all the people who made it their firm choice and put down a deposit on accommodation they now can't use will be desperately trying to find someone to take over their contract.

There is no need to try to prepare everything you'll possibly need at university before you move there. It's not Antarctica. There will be plenty of shops, and for larger things that you can't carry or transport on a bike or bus, just buy it online and get it delivered to your accommodation.

@skylark2's post gives excellent advice re accommodation.

My understanding is that term dates for medical students (and possibly also vets and dental students) are normally different from students studying other degrees. That said, I'd expect that the start of the first term (including freshers week) would coincide with everyone else's, so you won't miss out on those activities. But to get an official answer, contact the university you'll be attending to find out -- don't rely on what you read here.

Uni usually starts around the end of September or the start of October around that time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending