The Student Room Group

Sequence and series. Show and find unknown a

Hi, can someone explain the approach I should be taking for this question.

Sequences Isn’t one of my strong points. I didn’t recall any of it from GCSE level before starting this chapter, so I had to revisit to get the basics.

As far as I can tell I basically have to take the formula given.

In terms of n / n+1. To find the a. Can someone confirm this or am I completely wrong?

Part b
CA1E1420-43F7-4E86-8DFA-B84AAE98683D.jpeg

I have already solved part a. That’s fairly simple
(edited 2 years ago)
So un = n2n
Then what would un+1 be?
Reply 2
Original post by flaurie
So un = n2n
Then what would un+1 be?

Ahh. I was being simple. I hadn’t thought of b. Being an extension of part a.

I believe I understand it now.

C6A6B7FB-5F69-403E-AED5-287438F273E4.jpeg

Apologies if the thought process isn’t very clear
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Thats not quite right, you have to show the ratio is a + a/n, rather than assuming it and subbing in the values for n=1 and n=2.

Youve got the right starting point for u_(n+1)/u_n, so how can you simplify that expression to put it in the form they want? The values for n=1 and n=2 are just to get you warmed up. They are not relevant for this question part.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Thats not quite right, you have to show the ratio is a + a/n, rather than assuming it and subbing in the values for n=1 and n=2.

Youve got the right starting point for u_(n+1)/u_n, so how can you simplify that expression to put it in the form they want? The values for n=1 and n=2 are just to get you warmed up. They are not relevant for this question part.

Oh, :frown: lol

Erm, do you mean simplifying nth term function?
FFAE0167-4CED-4DA2-9533-9E29282764F4.jpeg
Reply 5
Yes. From answer spotting, the 2^n type terms must disappear/cancel.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Yes. From answer spotting, the 2^n type terms must disappear/cancel.

Okay, from the top of my head from similar questions in the past. To cancel out 2^n. I want to multiply by 2^n/2^n. However, showing the calculations to confirm this, is a little trouble some.
Reply 7
Original post by KingRich
Okay, from the top of my head from similar questions in the past. To cancel out 2^n. I want to multiply by 2^n/2^n. However, showing the calculations to confirm this, is a little trouble some.

Assuming youve split 2^(n+1) into 2*2^n, then you have 2^n on both the numerator and the denominator so they simply cancel.
Reply 8
I

Original post by mqb2766
Assuming youve split 2^(n+1) into 2*2^n, then you have 2^n on both the numerator and the denominator so they simply cancel.

Ah, believe I’ve figured it out lol.
1D4F3355-7297-40BE-B0E4-6BAD24B33D1B.jpeg
Reply 9
Original post by KingRich
I

Ah, believe I’ve figured it out lol.
1D4F3355-7297-40BE-B0E4-6BAD24B33D1B.jpeg

Yes, thats right. You obviously get a=2 again, but this time youve shown the result for an arbitrary n.

Note there is no need to multiply by 2^n/2^n at the start. The existing 2^n terms simply cancel in the fraction.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, thats right. You obviously get a=2 again, but this time youve shown the result for an arbitrary n.

Note there is no need to multiply by 2^n/2^n at the start. The existing 2^n terms simply cancel in the fraction.

Thank you for this. You always come to my rescue and help me understand things better.

Quick Reply

Latest