The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 2022 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by BW15
hi hi, does anyone know if having a car is going to be a thing we need? Cause I can't afford to put myself through learning to drive and this might end up being the deciding factor for where I go for med school at this point ahaha

depends where you live i’d say, a lot of train lines run into glasgow central and then the uni is only a subway away from central, so if you live relatively close to a station that runs into glasgow and can afford the prices and still want to live at home then id say train is fine especially for 1st and second year :smile: i stay in the west of scotland and im planning on doing that!
Reply 41
Original post by arcadia087
for those thinking of firming, what makes you prefer glasgow? i’m trying to decide and it would be useful to hear other perspectives x

the main reasons for me is it’s closest to home, 5 year course, i like the course structure where most of the written stuff is 1st and 2nd year before placements in the later years also there’s a chance to do an intercalated degree!
Original post by rxq3007
hey everyone! so happy to be joining this lol

Hey! Are you going to the medicine offers holders day ? I can’t decide between Glasgow and 2 other unis it’s so difficult 😞
hi, just wondering if anyone knows how medic fresher's week works since our course starts earlier than others?
On the application portal, I’ve uploaded my qualifications and ID, but I’m not sure what the other forms are? Will more details be given on them at a later date, e.g. the health screening?
Original post by BW15
hi hi, does anyone know if having a car is going to be a thing we need? Cause I can't afford to put myself through learning to drive and this might end up being the deciding factor for where I go for med school at this point ahaha

You definitely won’t need a car if you live in Glasgow or around Glasgow. I have lived in Glasgow 6 years and none of my friends know how to drive either cause we don’t need it lol, definitely not a thing to worry about if going to Glasgow.
Reply 46
Hiya guys,

Anyone got any recommendations for areas to avoid in Glasgow? I'm looking for a flat but I've got a limited budget and don't really know what the bad areas are so any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by BW15
Hiya guys,

Anyone got any recommendations for areas to avoid in Glasgow? I'm looking for a flat but I've got a limited budget and don't really know what the bad areas are so any help would be much appreciated!

I mean, you get good/bad in all areas. For example, Springburn is considered to be one to avoid but I live here on actually a really nice street with an amazing park across the road. Have amazing neighbours and had no issues in the past 4 years. However, would never live in mosr parts of Springburn. Same with Maryhill - loads of students but I've been there for 7 months after my MSc, hated the area.

Even glorified and trendy West End or Southside have bad places. Overall though West End/Finnieston/Partick/Hillhead are the most student-y and there's loads to do. If your budget goes there, would recommend looking in that area as it's also close to uni.

Wouldn't live in Govanhill, Easterhouse, Possil Park, Parkhead... or Dennistoun.
Reply 48
Original post by lastlullabyy
I mean, you get good/bad in all areas. For example, Springburn is considered to be one to avoid but I live here on actually a really nice street with an amazing park across the road. Have amazing neighbours and had no issues in the past 4 years. However, would never live in mosr parts of Springburn. Same with Maryhill - loads of students but I've been there for 7 months after my MSc, hated the area.

Even glorified and trendy West End or Southside have bad places. Overall though West End/Finnieston/Partick/Hillhead are the most student-y and there's loads to do. If your budget goes there, would recommend looking in that area as it's also close to uni.

Wouldn't live in Govanhill, Easterhouse, Possil Park, Parkhead... or Dennistoun.

ahhh thank you so much! How is Cessnock?
Reply 49

Dennistoun?!? Why lol
Original post by tjm0
Dennistoun?!? Why lol

I know three people who got robbed/broken imto there - my friend used to live there before moving to Milngavie and I was always weary when visiting in the evening. But Alexandra Park is beautiful :smile: As I said, there are good and bad parts to every area. This is just my personal opinion
Original post by BW15
ahhh thank you so much! How is Cessnock?

Not heard much about it, to the point I had to double check where it is haha (and been living here since 2016). Good location :smile: are you going to be able to see the area/flat yourself before moving?
Reply 52
Not heard much about it, to the point I had to double check where it is haha (and been living here since 2016). Good location :smile: are you going to be able to see the area/flat yourself before moving?

Awesome, hopefully one of the flats I've applied to accepts me then haha! If I get further with any of them then I'll definitely be going down to check them out, heard some horror stories about just going in blind during the pandemic
What student accommodation is everyone looking at so far I’ve seen kelvinhaugh street seems to be handiest anyone have any suggestions?
Reply 54
Can we apply to accommodation with conditional offer? I have firmed Glasgow but they haven't checked my documentation to confirm it yet.
heyyyy. got an offer on the 16th of march, but today my fee status got changed from overseas to RUK. so i can finally say i've got into glasgow!!!!! (it was financially impossible if not).

anyone firmed? i'm still waiting on bristol (and got oxford and edinburgh rejections) to decide.

i've only heard good things about glasgow, anyone got any advice for choosing?
Original post by Snowy4646
What student accommodation is everyone looking at so far I’ve seen kelvinhaugh street seems to be handiest anyone have any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5eoeV4prg
this video helped me a bit!

i quite liked murano (QM is a bit expensive for me), but i feel like the best is the student houses right in uni (hillhead or gibson street).

but i don't know if they're really competitive or more expensive or something??
(edited 2 years ago)
any idea if there will be other offer holder days??
I’ve signed up to a virtual one but idk if there’s medicine specific lnes
Reply 59
hi has anyone applied for their accom already? i'm stuck between the student apartments, qm or kelvinhaugh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending