The Student Room Group

Unsure on Uni Course

Hey I need help deciding whether to do a Psychology or a Business Psychology degree. I’ve read both courses modules and they both seem interesting. I do enjoy Psychology. But I’m trying to think of which course would get me the best job in the future. Any advice. Thanks I’m advance x
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mileyamber
Hey I need help deciding whether to do a Psychology or a Business Psychology degree. I’ve read both courses modules and they both seem interesting. I do enjoy Psychology. But I’m trying to think of which course would get me the best job in the future. Any advice. Thanks I’m advance x

@mileyamber
Hello! I've just finished my MSc Psychology degree, I think with psychology it is important to have realistic expectations career wise. The market is saturated with Psychology graduates, however there are a lot of opportunities such as fast track programs into big companies. In order to be a registered 'psychologist' in one form or another you need to complete accredited doctorate level study.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Be aware that an undergraduate degree in Psychology doesnt make you 'a Psychologist' - you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and a great deal of experience - see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

There are very few job openings for Psych graduates - its a very overcrowded field - so think carefully about how useful a degree in Psych actually is. Equally a degree in 'Business Pschology' isnt going to be an instant hit with graduate employers either as there even fewer grad jobs in this area.

A degree in Neuroscience (or as a joint subject with Psych) will be more useful, or simply a degree in Business or Management.

What A level subjects are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Be aware that an undergraduate degree in Psychology doesnt make you 'a Psychologist' - you will need a Masters degree, a PhD and a great deal of experience - see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/clinical-psychologist

There are very few job openings for Psych graduates - its a very overcrowded field - so think carefully about how useful a degree in Psych actually is. Equally a degree in 'Business Pschology' isnt going to be an instant hit with graduate employers either as there even fewer grad jobs in this area.

A degree in Neuroscience (or as a joint subject with Psych) will be more useful, or simply a degree in Business or Management.

What A level subjects are you doing?

Thankyou so much for your response.
I did my a levels last year and got A in Psychology, C in History and C in Biology. I originally applied and accepted my offer for Business Studies. But after the taster day I didn’t feel as though I’d be happy doing that course. Even though I’m aware it would be the best out of the 3 options. I know you need a masters in both the Psychology and Business Psychology to become an actual Psychologist. But I‘ m not interested in doing that either. Would rather just get my foot in a business. Im just so clueless but I do know after my year off, that I do want to go to university.
Do you think with the Business and Psychology it would still be good for if I just went into a business at a higher level then without a degree at all?
Again I do really appreciate your response as I’ve been so stuck on the decision but need to decide soon.
Reply 4
Original post by Arden University
@mileyamber
Hello! I've just finished my MSc Psychology degree, I think with psychology it is important to have realistic expectations career wise. The market is saturated with Psychology graduates, however there are a lot of opportunities such as fast track programs into big companies. In order to be a registered 'psychologist' in one form or another you need to complete accredited doctorate level study.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Thankyou for you response Marc. Yes that’s the thing I don’t want to be a Psychologist myself, I just enjoy the subject and am interested in it. I just don’t know whether to do a degree that I will enjoy more but be less useful that a degree like Business Studies that I won’t enjoy as much but I know will be better for my future.
Again Thankyou for your advice.

Doesn't matter. You can still get into most generic business graduate schemes with a psychology degree (or any degree for that matter). Pick the one that looks the most interesting.

Be aware that no degree leads to a job (apart from medicine/dentistry etc.) - you need to be very proactive in seeking summer employment like internships or a placement year.
Reply 6
Original post by Blue_Cow
Doesn't matter. You can still get into most generic business graduate schemes with a psychology degree (or any degree for that matter). Pick the one that looks the most interesting.

Be aware that no degree leads to a job (apart from medicine/dentistry etc.) - you need to be very proactive in seeking summer employment like internships or a placement year.

Thanks for your response. Yes I suppose that’s true. I have worked at Tesco for the past 3 years, but maybe I could look for something else in the summer. Or yes a placement year. But yes ultimately I think I’ll pick the most interesting one as I have to commit to 3 years of it. And hope to go on a business scheme after or just an entry level job at a business. It’s hard to think that far ahead when I don’t really know what I want to do. But I suppose I have to.
Again Thankyou for your advice!

Hello :smile:

I understand that you're considering employability in your decision (and you are right to do so) but do not get too fixated on this alone. Employability is like a portfolio you build up through out your time at university - that is to say, you wont automatically get a good job just by doing a degree. You will also need experience, which is something easily built up over your time at university - through placements or internships, volunteering or even part time jobs.

I would primarily focus on what you think you will enjoy and be good at, otherwise you won't enjoy your university experience and you may not end up getting the best grade you can.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hello :smile:

I understand that you're considering employability in your decision (and you are right to do so) but do not get too fixated on this alone. Employability is like a portfolio you build up through out your time at university - that is to say, you wont automatically get a good job just by doing a degree. You will also need experience, which is something easily built up over your time at university - through placements or internships, volunteering or even part time jobs.

I would primarily focus on what you think you will enjoy and be good at, otherwise you won't enjoy your university experience and you may not end up getting the best grade you can.

Hope this helps!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Ambassador

Thank you Andrew for your advice. This has really helped me. And I think I will go for Business Psychology as I think it is what I will enjoy the most and also a sensible choice of course. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending