The Sum of Capacitance Question Help Pls

Watch this thread
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I have to sum the capacitance (The answer is 400 and I keep getting 300). no idea how else to approach lol
Name:  16449245881781860936281676564987.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  75.8 KB
Name:  1644924617659629243078377235235.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  69.4 KB

sorry! no idea y it's upside down...
Last edited by Obolinda; 5 months ago
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Do you not have 3 in series which are in parallel with the other one? Second picture.
Obolinda
Rep:
(Original post by BlueChicken)
Do you not have 3 in series which are in parallel with the other one? Second picture.
the second picture was me trying to draw what I thought was an equivalent circuit to make the question easier to do. this is the original q:
Name:  16449252569704827057005893670550.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  120.7 KB
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
the second picture was me trying to draw what I thought was an equivalent circuit to make the question easier to do. this is the original q:
Name:  16449252569704827057005893670550.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  120.7 KB
oh, I meant second, if we turn both pictures as are the correct way up! That's the picture I was referring to.

So, imagine 2 capacitors top and bottom of the picture are drawn next to the one on the left - there are 3 capacitors in series, which are in parallel with the one on the right. Just looking at the answer, the maths appears to be [1/(3/300)] + 300, which would tie with the above. Does that make sense?
Obolinda
Rep:
oh, I meant second, if we turn both pictures as are the correct way up! That's the picture I was referring to.

So, imagine 2 capacitors top and bottom of the picture are drawn next to the one on the left - there are 3 capacitors in series, which are in parallel with the one on the right. Just looking at the answer, the maths appears to be [1/(3/300)] + 300, which would tie with the above. Does that make sense?
that makes sense thank you! i just don't know how id answer a question like this in the future, how did you know to think of the circuit as 3 capacitors in series parallel to 1 capacitor ?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I think you've probably not paid enough attention to where the test points are in relation to the components...

Name:  150221.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  35.7 KB
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
... so you need to combine the caps in series that I've called B,C &D

and then combine that equivalent value with the capacitor A that it's in parallel with.
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
that makes sense thank you! i just don't know how id answer a question like this in the future, how did you know to think of the circuit as 3 capacitors in series parallel to 1 capacitor ?
So, first way, practice! The logical way, is to consider the current/charge going through them (these are how the laws are derived). In the diagram, assume current is flowing from R to S (assume they are just points and R and S don't refer to anything - I feel like they threw those in as a trick). The top junction, i.e. the black dot at top, the current will split, i.e. some current will go through 3 of the resistors in a line and the rest will go through the resistor on the right (here, we don't care about sizes of current/charge, just where it is going). Therefore, 3 are in series and are in parallel with the other one.

This link has pictures for what I mean about the charge (therefore, current) splitting: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/ph...-and-parallel/
Last edited by BlueChicken; 5 months ago
Obolinda
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
I think you've probably not paid enough attention to where the test points are in relation to the components...

Name:  150221.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  35.7 KB
So, first way, practice! The logical way, is to consider the current/charge going through them (these are how the laws are derived). In the diagram, assume current is flowing from R to S (assume they are just points and R and S don't refer to anything - I feel like they threw those in as a trick). The top junction, i.e. the black dot at top, the current will split, i.e. some current will go through 3 of the resistors in a line and the rest will go through the resistor on the right (here, we don't care about sizes of current/charge, just where it is going). Therefore, 3 are in series and are in parallel with the other one.
ahh... i see. i think i get this now. thank you very much guys, you are life savers !!! :heart:
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Maybe think of circuit diagrams as being like tube maps with the components for the stations *

if the train comes in from the left and goes right at the first junction it has to go through B and then C and then D... cos those 3 are in series.

* The guy who designed the 'iconic' modern london tube map was IIRC an electrical engineer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (144)
40.45%
They're exactly what I expected (87)
24.44%