The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Is it normal to hate your siblings?

I cannot stand my brothers, like I wish they weren’t in my life and I genuinely cannot wait til I’m older to cut contact with them. They are lazy, unhelpful, rude & disrepectful to my parents and other family members? I have disliked them for a long time now, but these feelings I feel like are developing into such a hatred & the only time we ever speak is to argue.

I don’t have this issue with any of my other siblings, just my two younger brothers and I no longer feel bad for hating them as much as I do but I’m worried that these feelings aren’t normal idk what to do?
dw these feelings are normal i feel the same with my two younger brothers as well the only thing i think about is that in a couple of years they'll barley see me as ill be going uni etc
just try ignore them (dont react to there comments they just want a reaction)
I think this is completely normal. i would say that even though you say you hate them, do you feel any unconditional love for them because they are family? i used to hate my older sister and i mean HATE but now ive got older and she has changed alot, i can look back and see that we were different people and even though we still have days where we dislike each other i still know that we are family and we will unconditionally love each other. i wouldnt worry that your feelings arent normal, if your family is functioning perfectly welll and it isnt affecting anybody else than dont worry about it xxx
No ig. I hate what my brother do sometimes but I dont hate him personally. Like temporary hate
My siblings are my favourite people.
We don’t disrespect each other, we would get into petty arguments about phone chargers but nothing serious.
I definitely felt like this when we lived under one roof :tongue: now we get on better although if we have to spend more than a couple days in each other's company things usually break down pretty quickly between us :colonhash:
i'm always pissed at my sister but I would die for her. It's never genuine hatred she's just a **** sometimes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I think this is completely normal. i would say that even though you say you hate them, do you feel any unconditional love for them because they are family? i used to hate my older sister and i mean HATE but now ive got older and she has changed alot, i can look back and see that we were different people and even though we still have days where we dislike each other i still know that we are family and we will unconditionally love each other. i wouldnt worry that your feelings arent normal, if your family is functioning perfectly welll and it isnt affecting anybody else than dont worry about it xxx

well I hope they do change because they are honestly insufferable - if they weren’t my siblings I would hate them so I’m not sure how I’m expected to love them now? They’ve only gotten worse as they’ve gotten older but thank you atleast someone else could relate xx
Reply 8
Original post by JAckieee.chan
No ig. I hate what my brother do sometimes but I dont hate him personally. Like temporary hate

It started off as temporary but I can’t take it anymore 🤯
Reply 9
Original post by vanityxxx
My siblings are my favourite people.
We don’t disrespect each other, we would get into petty arguments about phone chargers but nothing serious.

Original post by 64Lightbulbs
i'm always pissed at my sister but I would die for her. It's never genuine hatred she's just a **** sometimes.

That’s how I feel about my older sisters, our arguments are petty but I enjoy their company and I can’t say ive ever hated them... my brothers on the other hand 🤮
Original post by Anonymous
I cannot stand my brothers, like I wish they weren’t in my life and I genuinely cannot wait til I’m older to cut contact with them. They are lazy, unhelpful, rude & disrepectful to my parents and other family members? I have disliked them for a long time now, but these feelings I feel like are developing into such a hatred & the only time we ever speak is to argue.

I don’t have this issue with any of my other siblings, just my two younger brothers and I no longer feel bad for hating them as much as I do but I’m worried that these feelings aren’t normal idk what to do?

for a long time, especially after my dad died, me and my brother ****ing hated each other.
our lives had always been topsyturvy but it just got worse and at one point, within the matter of two months, my brother had broken my wrist by throwing me down the stairs and i had stabbed him with scissors so badly that he needed stitches and still has the scars to this day.
my brother is outrageously disobedient and praised and favourited by my entire family, which is partly why he's this way and mostly why i hated him so much for so long. all of my hate for him should've been aimed at my family members.
for me, it went away as i got older but sometimes it just doesn't, and that's perfectly fine.
family might be blood, which you can't choose, but me and many other people can vouch for you that you do get to choose which members of your family stay as your family.
(edited 2 years ago)
When you're younger yes but generally I'd say most people mature enough to all get on, like I don't know how old your brothers are but if they're under 14 I'd say they'll probably mature.

Having said that you're under no obligation to like family members if they're genuinely just not nice people.
Original post by Anonymous #1

I’d say these feelings are normal. Everyone hates their brothers, but I think what’s most important is remembering that they’re your brother and try to remind yourself of all the fun times you’ve shared together.

You could try talking to them, depending on how old they are. Considering they are your younger brothers, they may be more likely to listen to you and your advice, once again, considering their age.