The Student Room Group

A AQA level Biology Enzyme practicals

There are so many different practicals for enzymes in biological molecules. They all follow the same premise of investigating into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction; but I've seen some exam questions ask for trypsin (I know that this is the first required practical, so I have to remember the method), amylase and starch or hydrogen peroxide as enzymes.
Do I need to memorise the practical's method for all of these reactions or should I just understand what it, as in an exam they will only ask for the method of a required practical, not just any practical?
I've already checked the specification and all it says is investigating into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction.
Reply 1

Spoiler

Original post by GTT21
There are so many different practicals for enzymes in biological molecules. They all follow the same premise of investigating into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction; but I've seen some exam questions ask for trypsin (I know that this is the first required practical, so I have to remember the method), amylase and starch or hydrogen peroxide as enzymes.
Do I need to memorise the practical's method for all of these reactions or should I just understand what it, as in an exam they will only ask for the method of a required practical, not just any practical?
I've already checked the specification and all it says is investigating into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction.

You don't need to memorise for all different reactions (unless that reaction is elsewhere in the spec), as the same experimental set up can essentially be used for most, e.g. you need a substrate, an enzyme and a way to study the enzyme action. You also need to think about which variable you will change and how to keep all the others the same. Reviewing the others for familiarity is not a bad idea, so if you are asked in an exam it is not a surprise, but they won't be testing the minutiae of the experimental set-up - they are testing your understanding of practical science and that you know how to apply scientific rigour, i.e. how to collect meaningful results, identify sources of error, present/analyse your results and come to logical conclusions (also maybe ways that the experiment could be improved; this would likely be a 1 mark "suggest" question).

Hope that makes sense. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by BlueChicken
You don't need to memorise for all different reactions (unless that reaction is elsewhere in the spec), as the same experimental set up can essentially be used for most, e.g. you need a substrate, an enzyme and a way to study the enzyme action. You also need to think about which variable you will change and how to keep all the others the same. Reviewing the others for familiarity is not a bad idea, so if you are asked in an exam it is not a surprise, but they won't be testing the minutiae of the experimental set-up - they are testing your understanding of practical science and that you know how to apply scientific rigour, i.e. how to collect meaningful results, identify sources of error, present/analyse your results and come to logical conclusions (also maybe ways that the experiment could be improved; this would likely be a 1 mark "suggest" question).

Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

This has made soo much sense, thank you!!
Original post by GTT21
This has made soo much sense, thank you!!

I would go through this: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-7401-7402-PHBK.PDF so you're aware of different types of apparatus used (or that could be used). It's useful for your actual practicals too! Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by BlueChicken
I would go through this: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-7401-7402-PHBK.PDF so you're aware of different types of apparatus used (or that could be used). It's useful for your actual practicals too! Good luck.

Thanks! As you said, it seems that they don't look for a specific practical but you need to understand the background of it

Quick Reply

Latest