Is a bsc Economics and Politics good enough for a masters in economics?

Watch this thread
Questionaboutuni
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago

I need to know and I can't seem to find a clear answer
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Questionaboutuni)

I need to know and I can't seem to find a clear answer
It sorta depends to be honest, if you'll forgive the expression. A BSc economics and politics at LSE will open far more MSc Economics doors then a BA Economics and Politics at Middlesex university for example. So it depends on how good the undergrad course in question is. It also depends on what sort of MSc Economics courses you think you may want to apply to, the very top ones or just the good ones.

I can't tell whether you're picking uni courses with a master's in mind or whether you're currently enrolled on a BSc Economics and Politics and want to do a master's. If the former then surely the solution is to just do a BSc Economics, or at the very least just email the unis you may want to do a master's at later on asking whether they accept joint honours students. If you're currently doing a BSc Economics and Politics course and want to do a MSc Economics then just email/call the departments you want to apply to?

Your main obstacle will how quantitative your undergrad modules will be as this is the main barrier for postgrad Economics. Although even when you google MSc Economics course entry requirements, a fair few state that joint honours Econ courses are fine as long as at least 50% of the modules are Econ and you've done a sufficient amount of maths
Questionaboutuni
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks for the response it was very helpful as there isn't much clear information about thisIf you could would you say an economics and politics degree from a standard RG would be good enough to get on a masters at a higher tier uni
BenRyan99
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Questionaboutuni)
Thanks for the response it was very helpful as there isn't much clear information about thisIf you could would you say an economics and politics degree from a standard RG would be good enough to get on a masters at a higher tier uni
Firstly I'd recommend emailing the unis you're interested in rather than relying on a stranger on the internet.

But imo I think it may be difficult to get onto the elite MSc Economics programmes. If you've got proven research experience or rank near the top of your cohort then that can help things. If you've taken lots of quantitative classes then this can help too. MSc Economics admissions are a lot less competitive than undergrad but the main barrier is funding and maths ability. You can apply to as many MSc Economics programmes as you want so aren't constrained to 5 like at undergrad admissions so you may as well chance it but you're better off asking the profs at your uni and the admissions people at the unis you're interested in
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (15)
28.3%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
41.51%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.77%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.55%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
11.32%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads