A level biology synaptic transmission

Watch this thread
Mavs04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm a bit confused about what happens to the neurotransmitter.

Is neurotransmitter remaining in the synaptic cleft only broken down and moved into the presynaptic neurone once action potentials have stopped arriving altogether (no nerve impulse being transported), or is it removed after each individual action potential of an impulse has arrived and been re-established in the postsynaptic neurone to keep all the action potentials separate? Otherwise wouldn't they all just merge together?

Thanks!
ashvinsingh
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Mavs04)
Hi, I'm a bit confused about what happens to the neurotransmitter.

Is neurotransmitter remaining in the synaptic cleft only broken down and moved into the presynaptic neurone once action potentials have stopped arriving altogether (no nerve impulse being transported), or is it removed after each individual action potential of an impulse has arrived and been re-established in the postsynaptic neurone to keep all the action potentials separate? Otherwise wouldn't they all just merge together?

Thanks!
2nd I believe, otherwise the action potentials will be constant, which is what happens when you get tasered
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
The neurotransmitters link with the receptor sides of the ion channels to open them, so it is possible that a nerve impulse in form of an action potential overcomes the synaptic cleft to reach another synapse of a neuron to transmit. That goes on until the channels are closed. That will happen when the link between the receptors and the neurotransmitters are stopped.

Hope I could help you with my answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
19.15%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (32)
34.04%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.32%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.13%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.57%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.15%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.38%

Watched Threads