The Student Room Group

Biology - abiotic factor

for the A-level Biology practical

since it is not possible to use a transect technique for the distribution of daisy depending on the light intensity (since it is winter) - can anyone plz recommend other alternative experiment that could define the effect of abiotic factors over species distribution?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
for the A-level Biology practical

since it is not possible to use a transect technique for the distribution of daisy depending on the light intensity (since it is winter) - can anyone plz recommend other alternative experiment that could define the effect of abiotic factors over species distribution?

Soil nutrient/pH could be measured using a pH testing kit if you have one.
Original post by TriplexA
Soil nutrient/pH could be measured using a pH testing kit if you have one.

Yes, I have thought of that but the experiment will not be taking in shore side (where I could measure how different pH affects the distribution of marram grass).

Instead, I have just come up with this experiment (could you please comment on its validity?):

Use a transect line from the tree base to the open ground, and use a sample (frame quadrat) at every 2m to find a percentage cover of plantains (since this plant is available throughout the year unlike, for example, daisy) to investigate how different light intensity affects its distribution by using a photometer

Is this experiment okay?
Original post by BrightBlueStar11
Yes, I have thought of that but the experiment will not be taking in shore side (where I could measure how different pH affects the distribution of marram grass).

Instead, I have just come up with this experiment (could you please comment on its validity?):

Use a transect line from the tree base to the open ground, and use a sample (frame quadrat) at every 2m to find a percentage cover of plantains (since this plant is available throughout the year unlike, for example, daisy) to investigate how different light intensity affects its distribution by using a photometer

Is this experiment okay?

I think that'd be ok. Daisies would've been more easier/better but we can't control the glorious British weather...

Good luck with it though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest