Biology - abiotic factor

Watch this thread
BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
for the A-level Biology practical

since it is not possible to use a transect technique for the distribution of daisy depending on the light intensity (since it is winter) - can anyone plz recommend other alternative experiment that could define the effect of abiotic factors over species distribution?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
for the A-level Biology practical

since it is not possible to use a transect technique for the distribution of daisy depending on the light intensity (since it is winter) - can anyone plz recommend other alternative experiment that could define the effect of abiotic factors over species distribution?
Soil nutrient/pH could be measured using a pH testing kit if you have one.
BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Soil nutrient/pH could be measured using a pH testing kit if you have one.
Yes, I have thought of that but the experiment will not be taking in shore side (where I could measure how different pH affects the distribution of marram grass).

Instead, I have just come up with this experiment (could you please comment on its validity?):

Use a transect line from the tree base to the open ground, and use a sample (frame quadrat) at every 2m to find a percentage cover of plantains (since this plant is available throughout the year unlike, for example, daisy) to investigate how different light intensity affects its distribution by using a photometer

Is this experiment okay?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
Yes, I have thought of that but the experiment will not be taking in shore side (where I could measure how different pH affects the distribution of marram grass).

Instead, I have just come up with this experiment (could you please comment on its validity?):

Use a transect line from the tree base to the open ground, and use a sample (frame quadrat) at every 2m to find a percentage cover of plantains (since this plant is available throughout the year unlike, for example, daisy) to investigate how different light intensity affects its distribution by using a photometer

Is this experiment okay?
I think that'd be ok. Daisies would've been more easier/better but we can't control the glorious British weather...

Good luck with it though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads