The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Is it hard moving from London to a smaller town for university?

Hi! I'm from London and I'd love to go to a university outside of London so that I get to explore a new place. One of the universities I like most is St Andrew's, but I just wanted to know what other peoples' experiences of moving from London to a small town for university were. :smile:
Maybe, probably depends on the individual. When I was at Exeter everyone I knew from London there complained bitterly about the lack of amenities the city had to offer and the fact all the shops except grocery stores closed at 5pm...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by MonkeyBananaPie
Hi! I'm from London and I'd love to go to a university outside of London so that I get to explore a new place. One of the universities I like most is St Andrew's, but I just wanted to know what other peoples' experiences of moving from London to a small town for university were. :smile:

I moved from a big city to StA and struggled a lot! Covid didn't help. Depends on your personality because I know people from London, NYC etc that love StA because they are involved in lots of student clubs. If you go to events and travel quite a bit or if you want a quiet time to focus at Uni, it's great. But it can be very isolating because everything really does close very early and it can be a lot to adjust to.
Original post by MonkeyBananaPie

I think Scotland is very different to England for a start - where else are you looking.

I think the weather might be a shock!
Original post by Muttley79
I think Scotland is very different to England for a start - where else are you looking.

I think the weather might be a shock!

This is what I was going to say, you aren't so much talking about moving to a 'small town' as a different country... and part of it considered kinda isolated even by most other Scots. :tongue:
Reply 5
How's it like for people who move from the US :wink: I just got accepted into the MLitt in Strategic Studies and have lived up and down the East Coast from NYC to DC and Miami.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending