The Student Room Group

which degree would be better ?

i've recently received an offer from edinburgh university to study environmental geoscience. i was looking on the website at the different earth science degrees and was wondering if doing a geology degree or the geology and physical geography degree would be more beneficial / more interesting ? i know it is possible to change what you're going to study sometimes so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thank you !
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey! I'm also in a bit of a similar situation to you. My best advice is to think about what you want to do with your degree in the future. For me, I want to look at sustainable energy so I'm doing engineering geology because the modules cover more of what I want to do later in life.
Geology and physical geography is good if you can't decide between studying geology or geography because it gives you the best of both worlds.
Environmental science is a little more limiting than a geology degree. Geology allows you to work in oil, gas, mining etc, but if you're not interested in that anyway then it probably doesn't matter.
Basically, think about ant you want to do with your degree in the future and see which modules in each degree suits your wants more.

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by deenosaur
i've recently received an offer from edinburgh university to study environmental geoscience. i was looking on the website at the different earth science degrees and was wondering if doing a geology degree or the geology and physical geography degree would be more beneficial / more interesting ? i know it is possible to change what you're going to study sometimes so any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thank you !

Hello @deenosaur ,
I'm a 2nd year Geology student at the University of Southampton and I can say that I am definitely enjoying it. For first year, I actually took Geology with Physical Geography and I ended up changing it to a pure Geology course as I found the geology bit more interesting, however this was just my decision and would be different for others. At this uni, Environmental Geoscience and Geology are relatively interchangable and it's quite easy to change between the two degrees as they both use similar skills, and I think that applies to many other unis (though don't take my word for it!).

I actually think both courses are equally as applicable and interesting and also very similar. I would say that Geology has more focus in the past processes that influenced Earth's systems while Environmental Geoscience is more interested in the modern-day processes and how humans are changing them, which I think would be really interesting. Geology is an older and more established discipline and environmental geoscience is newer and mixes ideas from multiple disciplines. In the end, I think both are quite good courses to go down and lead to very similar careers.

I would strongly suggest attending any open days or offer holder days you may have at the uni and ask more detailed questions to lecturers or students there! They would have a much better idea of what their courses entail and what would be best for you personally.

Charles,
University of Southampton Student Representative
Original post by deenosaur

It's impossible to say whether one would be more interesting or beneficial than the other because it depends entirely on what your interests are. Look at the modules offered by the different courses.

Quick Reply

Latest