The Student Room Group

Rejection from ucas

Hi, I got rejected by Bristol and UCL for economics (with a year abroad) and the reason stated is 'not meeting subject requirements'. But I am quite sure that all my predicted grades meet the entry requirements as an international applicant so I am wondering if anyone has the same issue?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jwwn123
Hi, I got rejected by Bristol and UCL for economics (with a year abroad) and the reason stated is 'not meeting subject requirements'. But I am quite sure that all my predicted grades meet the entry requirements as an international applicant so I am wondering if anyone has the same issue?

Any more details?
Original post by Jwwn123
Hi, I got rejected by Bristol and UCL for economics (with a year abroad) and the reason stated is 'not meeting subject requirements'. But I am quite sure that all my predicted grades meet the entry requirements as an international applicant so I am wondering if anyone has the same issue

what were your predicted a levels and your gcses?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Any more details?

I am taking the Diploma of Secondary Education as a HK student in late April and I have filled in 'pending' for my qualifications of subjects so I'm thinking if my teachers sent them the wrong predicted grades.
Reply 4
Original post by JRAWLS876
what were your predicted a levels and your gcses?

I am not taking gcses but DSE (hk) instead, and I couldn't find their requirements on DSE grades right now gosh
Original post by Jwwn123
I am not taking gcses but DSE (hk) instead, and I couldn't find their requirements on DSE grades right now gosh

UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/economics-year-abroad-bsc-econ
Reply 6

Thanks a lot! Basically all of my grades are above their required level and I'm pretty sure that there aren't any compulsory subjects that I need to study in high school for studying economics in uni...really don't understand their reason for rejection
I’m also taking dse too, what are your predicted grade?
Original post by Jwwn123
Thanks a lot! Basically all of my grades are above their required level and I'm pretty sure that there aren't any compulsory subjects that I need to study in high school for studying economics in uni...really don't understand their reason for rejection

5* in maths?
Reply 9
Original post by Jwwn123

It might just be the default message on ucas, maybe email and ask for more specific feedback?
Original post by Jwwn123

As above, it's worth asking them to clarify if you have double-checked and it isn't obvious what requirement they are talking about. There is a slim chance it may be an error so it's worth following up, (although I would note that the feedback reason was more likely to be in error than the decision itself).
SUBJECT requirements - ie the subjects within your HKDSE, not your grades.
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One
As above, it's worth asking them to clarify if you have double-checked and it isn't obvious what requirement they are talking about. There is a slim chance it may be an error so it's worth following up, (although I would note that the feedback reason was more likely to be in error than the decision itself).

Yss, I think I'll send them an email for clarification later, thxx so much
Reply 13
Original post by jthien1009
I’m also taking dse too, what are your predicted grade?

Chi 5
Eng 5**
Maths 5 ( compulsory part)
LS 5*
Geog 5
Acc 5*
Econ 5**
Reply 14
Original post by ageshallnot
5* in maths?

level 5 only. The website stated that applicants for degree programmes where mathematics is required need to get a level 5* for compulsory Mathematics element, and I saw that the module in Year 1 includes 'maths for econ' so perhaps I really need a 5* in maths ?
Reply 15
Original post by Skiwi
It might just be the default message on ucas, maybe email and ask for more specific feedback?

I'm planning to send them an email soon, thxx
Original post by Jwwn123
I'm planning to send them an email soon, thxx

Let us know how it goes
Reply 17
Original post by Lunama245
Let us know how it goes

Yeah sure ! Thankss
Applicants for degree programmes where mathematics is required, a level 5* will be required for the compulsory Mathematics element and a minimum of level 5 for the extended algebra and calculus extended element (the calculus and statistics extended component will not be acceptable for these subjects). For subjects that require an A* at GCE A-level Mathematics, level 5* will be required in the extended component.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
Applicants for degree programmes where mathematics is required, a level 5* will be required for the compulsory Mathematics element and a minimum of level 5 for the extended algebra and calculus extended element (the calculus and statistics extended component will not be acceptable for these subjects). For subjects that require an A* at GCE A-level Mathematics, level 5* will be required in the extended component.

So this means maths is required for all econ degree programmes?

Quick Reply

Latest