The Student Room Group

physics or psychology

hey

i'm deciding my a levels, and i've submitted my options.

i chose english lit, maths, FM mechanics and psychology.

however, now I'm wondering whether I should take physics instead of psychology?

the pros of psychology is that it doesn't seem like as much work as physics.

however, the pros of physics is that it fits well with maths and it actually opens opportunities, unlike psychology which I wouldn't really want to take at uni.

i want to do law at uni, however, my second option is engineering and I'm pretty sure I can't take that without physics and maths.

however, i just don't know whether it would be too much work or not?

can anyone offer some insight into this?

thank you so much

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmm100
hey

however, the pros of physics is that it fits well with maths and it actually opens opportunities, unlike psychology which I wouldn't really want to take at uni.

i want to do law at uni, however, my second option is engineering and I'm pretty sure I can't take that without physics and maths.

thank you so much

if you're genuinely considering engineering deff take physics! Psychology would definitely be easier though. Sounds like you really like maths? If not drop FM but how attached are you to taking English lit ?
You could always start with those 5 and drop up to 2 or even swap if you do so within the first month or 2. Honestly go with what subjects you feel you'd enjoy most and then see what you want to do after college following on from that
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mmm100
hey

thank you so much

Virtually all engineering courses want physics as well as maths, i would also warn against picking psychology because you think it will be easier as a lot of people in my year are struggling with it. Maths Fm and physics doesnt have that high of a workload compared to most other combinations so a 4th subject is definitely doable. Just a quick word on the mechanics modules (if you're doing edexcel) i find fm2 to be substantially harder than fm1, perhaps if you wanted an easier time you could pick stats or decision 1 instead which i think are considered easier (this is purely from what ive been told by other people as i myself havent done either).
Hope this makes sense and feel free to ask any questions
Reply 3
Original post by learningizk00l
if you're genuinely considering engineering deff take physics! Psychology would definitely be easier though. Sounds like you really like maths? If not drop FM but how attached are you to taking English lit ?
You could always start with those 5 and drop up to 2 or even swap if you do so within the first month or 2. Honestly go with what subjects you feel you'd enjoy most and then see what you want to do after college following on from that

im pretty definite about taking english lit as my first choice course for uni is law, so i'd need that to take it.

I'm thinking of maybe taking all five subjects to start with and then after 2 weeks drops either psychology or physics??

thank you!!
Reply 4
y

Original post by Skiwi
Virtually all engineering courses want physics as well as maths, i would also warn against picking psychology because you think it will be easier as a lot of people in my year are struggling with it. Maths Fm and physics doesnt have that high of a workload compared to most other combinations so a 4th subject is definitely doable. Just a quick word on the mechanics modules (if you're doing edexcel) i find fm2 to be substantially harder than fm1, perhaps if you wanted an easier time you could pick stats or decision 1 instead which i think are considered easier (this is purely from what ive been told by other people as i myself havent done either).
Hope this makes sense and feel free to ask any questions

yeah, because as im considering engineering as another career option I'm thinking physics is a better option. I've heard that compared to physics, psychology is easier however, so I'm just thinking of juggling all 4 subjects.

i reckon I could manage it thought?? hopefully lol

but I was thinking mechanics probs goes better with physics as im under the impression that there's some overlap?

thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by mmm100
y

yeah, because as im considering engineering as another career option I'm thinking physics is a better option. I've heard that compared to physics, psychology is easier however, so I'm just thinking of juggling all 4 subjects.

i reckon I could manage it thought?? hopefully lol

but I was thinking mechanics probs goes better with physics as im under the impression that there's some overlap?

thank you!!

I personally feel like doing mechanics in fm hasn't helped me in physics at all, this is because the mechanics in physics is so watered down in terms of the maths that it doesn't really matter if you take fm. Physics at a level is also not that maths based, most of the maths is just rearranging formulas. It's far more about the concepts than the maths. That being said it is by far the hardest out of the 3 a levels I take.
Reply 6
Original post by Skiwi
I personally feel like doing mechanics in fm hasn't helped me in physics at all, this is because the mechanics in physics is so watered down in terms of the maths that it doesn't really matter if you take fm. Physics at a level is also not that maths based, most of the maths is just rearranging formulas. It's far more about the concepts than the maths. That being said it is by far the hardest out of the 3 a levels I take.

okay thank you so much

if its okay do u mind giving me an overview of what physics at a level is like if you have enough time??

would be extremely appreciated :smile:

thanks once again!
Reply 7
Original post by mmm100
okay thank you so much

if its okay do u mind giving me an overview of what physics at a level is like if you have enough time??

would be extremely appreciated :smile:

thanks once again!

Physics at a level is a lot about understanding concepts and being able to apply it to different scenarios which may not be familiar. I find the most difficult part to be the written questions, typically 3 to 4 marks. This is because the mark schemes are very particular on how they want a question to be answered and by not including one or two specific words you can lose marks.

In terms of difficulty like I said before I find it harder than maths/fm, it does depend on the topic but I've found that in my class the vast majority find mechanics and materials the easiest whilst fields and electricity are seen as the hardest. Another thing I found is that the step up from GCSE physics to as is very large, it throws you into the deep end immediately unlike maths where the big increase in difficulty is between as and A2.
Original post by mmm100
hey

thank you so much

A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics and would be the most ideal combination of subjects for you perhaps. :smile:

A-Level Physics has 40% Mechanics content, so it is easy once you have also covered Mechanics topics in Mechanics in Maths and FM1 and FM2 in Further Maths.

Economics has essays, but it is easier with the data response questions being from extracts. :wink:
No-one needs more than 3 A levels - no UK Unis wants more than 3 and you dont get any 'clever' credit for doing any more,

If anything, you are risking all your grades by doing this. Remember - AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.

Btw, you dont need any specific A level subjects for Law - just 3 high grades.
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger
No-one needs more than 3 A levels - no UK Unis wants more than 3 and you dont get any 'clever' credit for doing any more,

If anything, you are risking all your grades by doing this. Remember - AAA will always look better than ABBB - and that could cost you a Uni place.

Btw, you dont need any specific A level subjects for Law - just 3 high grades.

thank you

i just really enjoy maths so I wanted to take fm, but at my school you cannot take fm as a third subject, it must be a fourth. i know it's a lot of work but I'm willing to do it :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by thegeek888
A-Level Maths, Further Maths, Physics and would be the most ideal combination of subjects for you perhaps. :smile:

A-Level Physics has 40% Mechanics content, so it is easy once you have also covered Mechanics topics in Mechanics in Maths and FM1 and FM2 in Further Maths.

Economics has essays, but it is easier with the data response questions being from extracts. :wink:

hey thank you!

unfortunately at my school they only offer fm as a fourth subject so I would need to take another subject alongside that.
as I'm hoping to pursue law I'm thinking of taking english lit

thank you for the insight :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Skiwi
Physics at a level is a lot about understanding concepts and being able to apply it to different scenarios which may not be familiar. I find the most difficult part to be the written questions, typically 3 to 4 marks. This is because the mark schemes are very particular on how they want a question to be answered and by not including one or two specific words you can lose marks.

In terms of difficulty like I said before I find it harder than maths/fm, it does depend on the topic but I've found that in my class the vast majority find mechanics and materials the easiest whilst fields and electricity are seen as the hardest. Another thing I found is that the step up from GCSE physics to as is very large, it throws you into the deep end immediately unlike maths where the big increase in difficulty is between as and A2.

hmm okayokay i'll have a think about this.

in terms of the step up from gcse physics, is it more understanding the concepts that's harder or applying them? or is it something else?

also, with the specific mark schemes, do you think it would be possible to find the way the exam board wants you to set out your answer or is it rly just having a guess?
as in could I look over mark schemes and see how they want you to answer?

thank you so much :smile:
Is psychology essay-based? I'm not saying that's bad or good, just to factor it in in terms of managing workload.
Original post by mmm100

in terms of the step up from gcse physics, is it more understanding the concepts that's harder or applying them? or is it something else?

also, with the specific mark schemes, do you think it would be possible to find the way the exam board wants you to set out your answer or is it rly just having a guess?

Yes, by looking at the specification, past exam questions, mark schemes and examiners' reports you can learn how they want you to answer the question (in fact, I would advise doing this).
Reply 15
Original post by BlueChicken
Yes, by looking at the specification, past exam questions, mark schemes and examiners' reports you can learn how they want you to answer the question (in fact, I would advise doing this).

oh okay thank you thats so helpful :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by BlueChicken
Is psychology essay-based? I'm not saying that's bad or good, just to factor it in in terms of managing workload.

i know there are some essays you need to write, but there's also shorter answer questions and multiple choice, so I'm not sure if it's classed as essay-based?

however, there are essays in it
Reply 17
Original post by mmm100

Learning from mark schemes is 100% the best way to get high marks in physics, in terms of the jump from gcse, its mainly that the focus of the exam is no longer just stating knowledge but applying it.
Original post by mmm100
im pretty definite about taking english lit as my first choice course for uni is law, so i'd need that to take it.

I'm thinking of maybe taking all five subjects to start with and then after 2 weeks drops either psychology or physics??

thank you!!

Yeah definitely sounds like a good idea!
Make sure you stick to your deadline as it's easy to keep dragging it on 'just to make sure'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by learningizk00l
Yeah definitely sounds like a good idea!
Make sure you stick to your deadline as it's easy to keep dragging it on 'just to make sure'.

thank you!!

yeah ill make sure to just let my school know now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest