The Student Room Group
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website

University of Suffolk

I'm trying to decide between the University of Suffolk and Anglia Ruskin University. I am drawn to the University of Suffolk but I'm wondering if any current or past students are able to give me their opinion of what they think of the UOS and how they have gotten on there! :smile:
Original post by sophie_barton
I'm trying to decide between the University of Suffolk and Anglia Ruskin University. I am drawn to the University of Suffolk but I'm wondering if any current or past students are able to give me their opinion of what they think of the UOS and how they have gotten on there! :smile:

Hey!
I'm an UOS alumni.

What course did you apply for?
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hey!
I'm an UOS alumni.

What course did you apply for?

BA Social Work! I got an unconditional offer :smile:
BA Social Work! I got an unconditional offer :smile:

Congratulations!
I didn't study social work so can't give insight on that.

I was in your place a good few years ago, torn between UOS and ARU, so I can empathise. I'm not sure if you are local to Ipswich or not, but not a lot goes on in the town. The campus itself is fairly quiet, definitely nowhere near as sociable as Anglia Ruskin. There is a lack of societies, social events and even a lack of "community" feel. So just bear that in mind if you do value the social side of things.

What is it that draws you to Suffolk?

Hi @sophie_barton! Congratulations on your offer!!! I'm a third year student studying diagnostic radiography at UoS so I can give you some information on the university but I don't know ARU that well so hopefully you can find out a bit more about them too!

I think that my best advice would be to create a "pros" and "cons" list for both universities, taking into consideration:
1) Where they are located and how easy it would be to visit home e.g. how far is the nearest train or bus station and how much would a ticket cost, or what the parking is like in the area.
2) If you're planning to live on campus, then definitely look into the accommodation (you're likely to find out this information via the university website and/ or by attending open days/ virtual tours): what they offer & how many options, the price, how many people you share with, if you'd have your own en-suite, the distance from the university buildings themself and any other facilities that you might be interested in e.g. parking, laundry, shops, gyms etc. I've attached our accommodation page here.
3) What you think you might be interested in getting involved in at the university e.g. we have a few societies and sports clubs at UoS including: British Sign Language, First Aid, Social Work Society, Women's Society and the Christian Union to name a few. Sports clubs include: netball, football, badminton, pole fitness, zumba, dance, pilates, circuits and basketball. You can either join a club to play competitively or you can join the casual sports and have some fun playing sports with your friends for an hour or so (completely up to you!)
4) What does the course structure look like e.g. how many days are you in the university a week? What do the exams look like (are they more written-based or practical)? Does the university offer any additional/ outside placement options? I've attached the Social Work course page here as it includes a list of the modules studied for example.
5) The size of the university and what you're looking for. I'd say that our university campus is quite small compared to a lot of other universities (especially those in cities) so definitely take that into consideration, although I quite like that aspect as I feel as though I get to know other students a bit better as there aren't lots and lots of students in each cohort. My cohort is approximately 70-80 students each year so you can hopefully use this figure as a decent comparison to Social Work!

I've also attached a link to our UniBuddy page at UoS here where you can chat to Louis who currently studies Social Work if you would like to ask him any specific questions about the course :smile:

I hope this has helped and good luck on your university journey - you'll do amazing whenever you decide to study!!!

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student

Hi @sophie_barton

I am a 2nd Year Student, studying Early Childhood Studies BA (hons) at Anglia Ruskin University. I am enjoying my time at ARU very much and I am able to provide insight to what it is like studying at ARU.

It is great that you have a passion to study Social Work at ARU and I'm sure that the course will open up opportunities for you. ARU is the largest provider of Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care, meaning you'll learn using high-end facilities and be taught by skilled lecturers. My lectures are all very helpful and friendly. As well as my tutors, I have a personal development tutor, who if I had any problems, would help me. Furthermore, ARU would provide you with a wholesome university experience. :smile: Since being at ARU, I have discovered that there is more to university than studying your course. I have been lucky enough to work alongside new groups of people and earn whilst I work through ARU. I am currently completing an Internship alongside my degree, as well as representing my faculty by working as a Digital Ambassador. Opportunities like these will definitely help you progress in your career and during your time at ARU.

If you decide to study with us, what campus would you be based at? Both campuses are great and are accommodating for students. It's really important to balance your studies with your interests and ARU Student's Union can offer a range of activities and fresher's opportunities for new students. ARU also has a a large sports facility with a chance to join sports teams such as netball, football, cheerleading etc. This is a great chance to engage with new people and form friendships. However, regardless of societies, I wanted to reassure you that it is easy to form friendships and ARU have great digital platforms so you can connect online as well as on campus. Whilst I am on campus, I never feel overwhelmed as ARU is so welcoming and engaging. Similarly, throughout the pandemic, I always felt connected with my course mates and lecturers, which provides a flexible approach to learning.

I hope that providing a personal insight to my university experience helps you decide where you want to study. I am more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding ARU.

Best wishes and best of luck making your decision - I'm sure wherever you choose to go you will flourish! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending