Is programming a good idea for an EPQ?

Watch this thread
jjeeeeeea
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I don't really do anything outside of school at the moment, never really interested in anything. But today after we were introduced to the idea of an EPQ I thought programming/coding actually seemed pretty interesting.

I don't have much knowledge about anything in coding though, and no proper direct links with my a level subjects (psychology, chemistry, maths), don't know if that's good or bad? I did computer science in year 9 but dropped it - which I definitely regret - and have occasionally coded simple stuff during and a bit after, but that's about it.

I don't know if it's something that would be too difficult for me to make a good artefact on but it's the only thing right now I think I might actually enjoy. Also, all of the EPQ ideas I've seen have been really specific and I don't know how I could do that if I'm starting something almost brand new, like learning a coding language.

I'm not sure what I want to go on to do after A-Levels yet, so I think some kind of variety from what I'm already doing could be useful.Thanks (:
Last edited by jjeeeeeea; 4 months ago
Fibonacci28
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
What would you want to program? While the program would make a good artefact (especially if you can evidence all the learning you had to do in order to code it) an EPQ at the end of the day needs to have a goal in mind
Last edited by Fibonacci28; 4 months ago
username5884212
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by jjeeeeeea)
I don't really do anything outside of school at the moment, never really interested in anything. But today after we were introduced to the idea of an EPQ I thought programming/coding actually seemed pretty interesting.

I don't have much knowledge about anything in coding though, and no proper direct links with my a level subjects (psychology, chemistry, maths), don't know if that's good or bad? I did computer science in year 9 but dropped it - which I definitely regret - and have occasionally coded simple stuff during and a bit after, but that's about it.

I don't know if it's something that would be too difficult for me to make a good artefact on but it's the only thing right now I think I might actually enjoy. Also, all of the EPQ ideas I've seen have been really specific and I don't know how I could do that if I'm starting something almost brand new, like learning a coding language.

I'm not sure what I want to go on to do after A-Levels yet, so I think some kind of variety from what I'm already doing could be useful.Thanks (:
off topic, how is a level psychology?
orangebanana22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Could u guys do my questionnaire pls i need it for the EPQ https://forms.office.com/r/GJb9zYpTps
jjeeeeeea
Rep:
(Original post by Fibonacci28)
What would you want to program? While the program would make a good artefact (especially if you can evidence all the learning you had to do in order to code it) an EPQ at the end of the day needs to have a goal in mind
Yeah, that's what I'm not really sure on too. I don't know what kind of thing I could actually achieve in 10 months :/ I think javascript could be good if I could look into it a bit first and find out what I could do.
jjeeeeeea
Rep:
(Original post by dawg101)
off topic, how is a level psychology?
It's pretty good, though it takes me more effort to keep organised than my other subjects just because of the writing aspect lol. A lot of the topics are quite interesting to me like memory and all the different approaches that can be taken to everything, but right now getting pretty fed up of attachment.

Everyone seems to prefer different parts of it but it is still quite nice to be able to link in stuff from what you do enjoy with the other stuff either way.
Right now with the current topics I definitely prefer my other subjects, but my opinion might change after topics move on.
Ollyssss
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

I've heard that for the types of unis that lower offers when you have an EPQ, they tend to prefer the EPQ being on a relevant topic to what you are applying for.

I have an offer of BBB + B, or ABB without the EPQ from Lancaster for computer science BSc right now, My EPQ is relevant to computer science, as it involves programming in C, and this was mentioned in my personal statement (and my reference actually). I don't know whether the EPQ being on a relevant topic was the reason I got the reduced offer, but at the very least it being on a relevant topic means you can talk about it on your PS.

EPQ titles should answer a question, and ideally be as specific as possible. They should be specific as this allows you to make your essay more focused as you only have to lo ok at a small topic area and determine the answer to the question. An example of this is the question 'can statistical analysis be used top improve the efficiency of processes in chemicals plants' vs can statistical analysis be used to improve the efficiency of existing implementations of petrol production in industry'. the second question is much better; the first one will require much broader research of many different processes, and also you would probably have to talk about whether statistical analysis can be used to come up with new ways of producing these chemicals, as it was never specified that you aren't analyzing that. The second one however will allow you to look at just a few actual implementations of producing petrol and then determine whether statistical analysis can be used to improve efficiency in these plants, which will allow much more focused conclusions to be drawn and much less research.

This still applies to artifact EPQ's, my title is 'can a REDACTED be used to prevent RSIs. This is a decent title as it only requires me to analyze whether my artefact could RSIs, instead of a more general version of my title like 'Can a REDACTED improve efficiency in the workplace' which would require you to look at the many ways the artefact could affect efficiency. The redacted word is just a modified version of something you use for interacting with a computer , didn't want my title to come up on google if it was googled by the exam board or by a uni.

Also don't worry if your epq has no progress on it by very late, my friend has an interview from Manchester for Chem eng coming up and gave his final presentation without having actually started writing his main essay. It is also completely fine to change your title multiple times to completely different questions throughout the project, lots of people in my year doing epq have done this.
ImperiaZoe
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

Don't stress yourself about wanting/having a specific question for your EPQ. The majority of the grades you accumulate on the EPQ is based on 'personal development' which is essentially your ability to refine and troubleshoot problems that arise during your investigation. This means, you need to be strategic with how you plan and write your EPQ - so, your first question should be the vaguest and easy to pick apart.

Honestly, your EPQ can be on any topic, as long as you can conduct research of your own. You can certainly link it to subjects that you are undertaking for your Alevels. Let me give you an example: What are the translational potential of programming on modern research? - This question is quite vague at the moment, which is exactly what we want. Programming itself is a discipline composed of many packages and tools, so this is one area you would specify as you progress in the EPQ e.g. Translational potentials of Python. Modern research is also quite vague, and so you can most certainly narrow this down to a discipline of your interest e.g. Translational potential of Python on Computational Mathematics (Mathematics) / Psychometric Assessments (Psychology) / Molecular Modelling (Chemistry). I hope you get the idea - refine your question as you progress.

In case you want to expand your options, you could look into Geocomputation (Geography), Social Computing (Sociology) or Econometrics (Economics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (2)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (4)
66.67%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads