Is our education system still fit for purpose?

Watch this thread
GodAtum
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Do kids really need to learn lots of facts and figures? I think we should teach them more critical thinking, like "why" rather than "what" and "when".

Take learning the times table. I'm sure many adults have forgotten it and can't recite it off by heart. So what's the point of making children learn it? I have a friend who works as a financial advisor at a major bank. He studied Maths at Oxford. You would all agree he's a clever man. Does he know his times tables? No!

The same can be said for learning the periodic table or the dates of English kings.

I'm not sure what the solution is, however we must be able to do better?
samsungspend
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Personally i think instead of learning maths formula they should teach us life skills that relate to maths.
Crazed cat lady
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I had a very good maths teacher and left school with the capability of multiplying two two digit numbers in my head relatively rapidly. I still retain this skill.

Then there is a periodic table. Teaching children what goes where so they can pass the exam is one thing, but a good science teacher knows how to use chemistry to develop second order thinking skills. Those skills are what can set you apart from someone working in a dead end job while complaining they learnt nothing useful in school.

Maybe it is not the education system is at fault by your parents for sending you to a shite school?
Last edited by Crazed cat lady; 4 months ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
The times table is essential if to have a basic understanding of maths. Sure, calculators are everywhere but it's still faster to do simple calculations in your head like 4x7=28 than typing it into a calculator.
Nobody has ever told you to memorise the periodic table and it's a waste of time to do so even at A-level when the periodic table is provided in the exams. You do need to know the trends in the periodic table, what the numbers mean and how to apply it to chemistry.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I use times tables in my head all the time to do mental arithmetic for shopping, cooking, planning projects etc

Tell me the last time any school kid was required to learn the periodic table by heart or the dates of English Kings.

That said, having a decent knowledge of the framework of things - why the periodic table is the shape it is, what that means, roughly where elements appear - is important for understanding chemistry.. Equally, an understanding of the rough outline of who/what went when - Magna Carta happened in John's reign and the the Reform Act in William IV's and that these were about 600 years apart - is important to understanding history too. It's very hard to understand the why without any sense of the what.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by samsungspend)
Personally i think instead of learning maths formula they should teach us life skills that relate to maths.
I still like the case of a maths teacher who instead of talking about Akhmed having 50 apples and all that boring crap instead tried to teach it in terms the kids could relate to, in that instance he used dealing weed to try and teach them about measurements and arithmetic.. apparently it worked very well until the parents found out and **** the bed for some reason :rolleyes:.
Shame really, the maths taught in schools is ****, its both boring and utterly useless for most people who will never need to know how to find the angle of a triangle.. as opposed to needing to know financial literacy and so on.
GodAtum
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've never used times tables since school. I do everything on my phone. I've certainly never used any biology or chemistry things.

I do however imagine a dystopian future where we outsource intelligence to computers.
yeet_21
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
we don't know what the world will look like in the future and have no idea how to equip children with the skills for it
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Something as simple as memorising the times table is incredibly useful. It allows children to utilise it in other maths topics. And it certainly helps with real life problems, you probably just don't realise it.

Also, not everything has to be directly "relatable" in the way some of you are thinking. Some schools take on more of a holistic and creative approach. At the end of the day, they are still learning what they need to learn and can apply it to every day situations without constantly relying on a calculator.

Im a primary school teacher
Last edited by 1secondsofvamps; 4 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by GodAtum)
Do kids really need to learn lots of facts and figures? I think we should teach them more critical thinking, like "why" rather than "what" and "when".

Take learning the times table. I'm sure many adults have forgotten it and can't recite it off by heart. So what's the point of making children learn it? I have a friend who works as a financial advisor at a major bank. He studied Maths at Oxford. You would all agree he's a clever man. Does he know his times tables? No!
The teaching of times tables has changed - they aren't chanted like they used to be. Primary maths teaching has changed - it is about problem solving now.
Honey57
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I memorised all my times tables up to 12 in year 2. I found it ridiculous that year 7s and older don’t know their timetables.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I think it’s lacking the focus should be on the core subjects in primary (English maths science and IT) in secondary they learn to apply those skills in subjects such a s history and CDT while still having those core subjects still also health and nutrition should be taught not just do sport because it’s good for you but actually explaining why and how it’s good for you. Also the bells that’s a hang over from the Victorian area where you are being trained to be a factory worker where your life is controlled by bells we didn’t have them in college or university so why do we need them in school also getting rid of them would teach kids valuable time keeping skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (54)
27.14%
As I expected (65)
32.66%
Harder (72)
36.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.02%

Watched Threads