This discussion is closed.
nayanayan
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by spin)
Um, tin and HCl was to get from nitrobenzene to phenylamine, right near the start, though I daresay there are plenty of other ways to do it
For the reduction of nitrobenzene to phenylamine, you can have two reagents:

Sn/c HCl or
H2/Ni Catalyst right?
BLUREMI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nayanayan)
For the reduction of nitrobenzene to phenylamine, you can have two reagents:

Sn/c HCl or
H2/Ni Catalyst right?
yeh i think i put h2 ni one but bith are fine
wednesburywench
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i thought section A was quite easy, specially the rate equation bit as they only changed one thins (p or q) when they normally do 2 at once which confuses me big time. is it me or did anyone else thing section B was hard though. I couldnt do the buffer thingy, cus it adnt been on any past papers that i saw so i probebly read it when revising but didnt go over it twice cus i adnt had to look up the asnwer is gutted by that question. *sniff*
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't believe it, for the last question about calculating pH of the buffer solution.

I wrote pH =

And as I was keying in the formula, I pressed the wrong buttons, and THE DAMN TIME RAN OUT!! I'm really quite annoyed because I had the right answer.

Other than that, I agree that the paper was pretty friendly. I'm confident I've got at least a B on this.
Va Va Voom
Report 14 years ago
the reaction orders..2 and 1? can't remember which order i wrote them in though! and the kc qs..did you all remember to find the concnt, and not the no.of moles? (ie. divide by the volume) i've heard that quite a few people forgot to do that!
good luck all..remember there's always june if it doesn't work out! actually, it might be a good idea to resit this paper in june cos it helps soo much with module 5. almost half the marks on module 5 come from module 4 type questions!
BLUREMI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i rember this part of the question

2 mols something = 2 mols something + 1 mole 02
mole at start 1.00 0 0

i then did this

mols at eqm 0.2 0.8 0.4

the total volume, was it 18.5 dm3

therefore

kc= ((0.8/18.5)^2 x (0.4/18.5))/ (0.2/18.5)^2
= 0.346
nayanayan
(Original post by BLUREMI)
i rember this part of the question

2 mols something = 2 mols something + 1 mole 02
mole at start 1.00 0 0

i then did this

mols at eqm 0.2 0.8 0.4

the total volume, was it 18.5 dm3

therefore

kc= ((0.8/18.5)^2 x (0.4/18.5))/ (0.2/18.5)^2
= 0.346
I was quite suprised to see such an easy calculation on the last page... everyone get 4.51 and 4.58 as the pH?? Just curious as to whether anyone found the paper hard... because most ppl are sayinng the paper was very good... the more ppl who found the paper easy, the harder it is to get high UMS
wednesburywench
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
u thought the last calculation was easy :O Christ i didnt lol. Probebly cus it had never came up b4 i was expecting titration or sumat. I have a funny feeling i forgot to divide by the volume u no....oh no i need like every mark on section A cus i sucked so much on section B. i need an A sniff. There were mixed reactions at my school some found it hard, some easy, some people sed really hard some really easy!
nayanayan
(Original post by wednesburywench)
u thought the last calculation was easy :O Christ i didnt lol. Probebly cus it had never came up b4 i was expecting titration or sumat. I have a funny feeling i forgot to divide by the volume u no....oh no i need like every mark on section A cus i sucked so much on section B. i need an A sniff. There were mixed reactions at my school some found it hard, some easy, some people sed really hard some really easy!

ah crap.... i think i forgot to divide the moles by volume for the Kc calc.... damn it, does anyone know how many marks this question was worth,.... and how many marks i could have got without dividing by volume!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
BLUREMI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nayanayan)
ah crap.... i think i forgot to divide the moles by volume for the Kc calc.... damn it, does anyone know how many marks this question was worth,.... and how many marks i could have got without dividing by volume!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
i think ull only lose 2 marks
supreme
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The paper was ok I hope I got a high B.

I can't believe I couldn't remember the section B organic synthesis type question (not the distinguishing between aldehydes and ketones, the second question) but I found the rest of it went well.

I thought the rates question was a trick really turning the table around, I suppose this meant to trick people and see if they really understood rather than just doing lots of past papers.
Laurz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought the paper was ok, could have been a lot worse, but was just a bit time consuming (esp. isomers pages). Loads of people at my school found the last question really difficult and didnt end up with the right pH so not everyone found it easy....
Jenjey
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've said it once and I'll say it again....AGH at the isomers. Trying to get them 10 marks must've took me bleedin half an hour :mad:
supreme
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jenjey)
I've said it once and I'll say it again....AGH at the isomers. Trying to get them 10 marks must've took me bleedin half an hour :mad:
Lol you have got a point, it did seem a slightly pointless question
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads