The Student Room Group

unseen poetry a level

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice for unseen poetry questions? I'm unsure of how to reach the top band by using criticism or genre conventions etc as it's unseen. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Original post by nethmi12345
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice for unseen poetry questions? I'm unsure of how to reach the top band by using criticism or genre conventions etc as it's unseen. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Best advice would be know time period conventions and get that into your essay, as well as the language/structure/allusion/imagery used and whether it's a convention. You're not really expected to know critics because it is unseen, but if you know the conventions of the literature at the time, it should help.
Also maybe look at types of poetry and how that fits into the time period it was written, like Petrarchan/Shakesperean sonnets or ballads, etc.
Here's my table (incomplete lmao) which can get you started :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by thatbooknerd
Best advice would be know time period conventions and get that into your essay, as well as the language/structure/allusion/imagery used and whether it's a convention. You're not really expected to know critics because it is unseen, but if you know the conventions of the literature at the time, it should help.
Also maybe look at types of poetry and how that fits into the time period it was written, like Petrarchan/Shakesperean sonnets or ballads, etc.
Here's my table (incomplete lmao) which can get you started :smile:

tysm! this was beyond helpful :smile:
Original post by nethmi12345
tysm! this was beyond helpful :smile:

no worries :smile:

Quick Reply