The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LoveAmore
I’m currently in Year 12 but got eight 9s, four 8s and one A* (in an unreformed subject) in my GCSEs.
The purpose of this post is to give advice to anyone who needs it :smile:
My GCSE subjects were:
English lit (9)
English language (9)
Maths (8)
Further Maths (8)
Biology (9)
Chemistry (8)
Physics (8)
Spanish (9)
History (9)
Sociology (9)
Business (9)
RS (9)
Creative iMedia (A*)

Wow, impressive! I’m in year 10 and going for a 9 in Spanish. What do I need to know to get that? (Tenses, sentence structures etc) And… What happens in the speaking exam? I have social anxiety so that exam could be my downfall. Do you get to prepare for any of the questions in advance, or are they all surprise questions?
Reply 2
Original post by RushingRiver
Wow, impressive! I’m in year 10 and going for a 9 in Spanish. What do I need to know to get that? (Tenses, sentence structures etc) And… What happens in the speaking exam? I have social anxiety so that exam could be my downfall. Do you get to prepare for any of the questions in advance, or are they all surprise questions?

I would recommend consulting your exam board's syllabus to see what they require from you and then learning from that. I would also highly suggest having a look at this: https://quizlet.com/en-gb/content/gcse-spanish . It includes everything you'll need to know :smile: I'm not sure how it would work at your school but my teacher gave us a list of 20 questions and we were told to draft and memorise our answers for them. However, because of the changes to exams we did a much more informal speaking assessment that didn't actually include any of the questions we were given.

Best of luck!
I would recommend consulting your exam board's syllabus to see what they require from you and then learning from that. I would also highly suggest having a look at this: https://quizlet.com/en-gb/content/gcse-spanish . It includes everything you'll need to know :smile: I'm not sure how it would work at your school but my teacher gave us a list of 20 questions and we were told to draft and memorise our answers for them. However, because of the changes to exams we did a much more informal speaking assessment that didn't actually include any of the questions we were given.

Best of luck!

Thank you! :smile:
any good resources to learn english lit and language?
Reply 5
Original post by candydream
any good resources to learn english lit and language?

English language is best mastered by practice/looking over model answers on the exam board's website. I also watched Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English on youtube to learn what the exam boards are looking for in answers.

For English Lit, I created a table on Word for each text with all of the key characters and themes as headings and then went through my texts line by line, picked out quotes, added them to the relevant column and then wrote bullet points of analysis underneath. I found this really helpful as it also made it easy to then copy the quotes and analysis and paste them onto online flashcards on Quizlet which I used to memorise them. If you find it difficult to analyse texts yourself you can alternatively just search for ready-made flashcards on Quizlet. I would also recommend using Genius to help you analyse your texts. It was especially useful for an Inspector Calls: https://genius.com/J-b-priestley-an-inspector-calls-all-acts-123-annotated
I’m currently in Year 12 but got eight 9s, four 8s and one A* (in an unreformed subject) in my GCSEs.
My GCSE subjects were:
English lit (9)
English language (9)
Maths (8)
Further Maths (8)
Biology (9)
Chemistry (8)
Physics (8)
Spanish (9)
History (9)
Sociology (9)
Business (9)
RS (9)
Creative iMedia (A*)

that's amazing! i'm in yr11 at the moment, and i am getting 7s 8s and 9s in my subjects. i got a 7 in maths, how could i push that grade up?? people say past papers, and i have done quite a bit of them. i'm planning to do a lot more as my mocks are on 1st March :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by harlz_chalamet
that's amazing! i'm in yr11 at the moment, and i am getting 7s 8s and 9s in my subjects. i got a 7 in maths, how could i push that grade up?? people say past papers, and i have done quite a bit of them. i'm planning to do a lot more as my mocks are on 1st March :smile:

I pretty much just used this website to revise maths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE

Also make sure you know all of the formulas and can apply them :smile:
My GCSE subjects were:
English lit (9)
English language (9)
Maths (8)
Further Maths (8)
Biology (9)
Chemistry (8)
Physics (8)
Spanish (9)
History (9)
Sociology (9)
Business (9)
RS (9)
Creative iMedia (A*)

Hello! How did you revise the core subjects such as science, maths and english?
My GCSE subjects were:
English lit (9)
English language (9)
Maths (8)
Further Maths (8)
Biology (9)
Chemistry (8)
Physics (8)
Spanish (9)
History (9)
Sociology (9)
Business (9)
RS (9)
Creative iMedia (A*)

People are actually sitting exams this year .... these are CAGs
t

My GCSE subjects were:
English lit (9)
English language (9)
Maths (8)
Further Maths (8)
Biology (9)
Chemistry (8)
Physics (8)
Spanish (9)
History (9)
Sociology (9)
Business (9)
RS (9)
Creative iMedia (A*)

tips for the sciences and history
Reply 11
Original post by studentc123
Hello! How did you revise the core subjects such as science, maths and english?

Physics and Maths Tutor produce very good notes for both English and science so I used them to make flashcards. I also watched a lot of Free Science Lessons videos and used them to add to my flashcards.

I'll copy and paste my responses to others on this thread on how I revised for English and maths:

English language is best mastered by practice/looking over model answers on the exam board's website. I also watched Mr Bruff and Mr Salles Teaches English on youtube to learn what the exam boards are looking for in answers.
For English Lit, I created a table on Word for each text with all of the key characters and themes as headings and then went through my texts line by line, picked out quotes, added them to the relevant column and then wrote bullet points of analysis underneath. I found this really helpful as it also made it easy to then copy the quotes and analysis and paste them onto online flashcards on Quizlet which I used to memorise them. If you find it difficult to analyse texts yourself you can alternatively just search for ready-made flashcards on Quizlet. I would also recommend using Genius to help you analyse your texts. It was especially useful for an Inspector Calls: https://genius.com/J-b-priestley-an-...-123-annotated

I pretty much just used this website to revise maths: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE
Also make sure you know all of the formulas and can apply them
When did you start revising
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
People are actually sitting exams this year .... these are CAGs

While this is the case, in the last term my school still made us sit the same number of exams, in the same format and length as I would have had to sit if I had done the real GCSEs. My grades were primarily based on these exams so the grades and experience I obtained closely resembles that of if I had officially done GCSEs.
Reply 14
Original post by username0606
t

tips for the sciences and history

Physics and Maths Tutor produce very good notes for science so I used them to make flashcards. I also watched a lot of Free Science Lessons videos and used them to add to my flashcards.

For history I recommend going through the revision guide and making a bunch of flashcards to help you memorise the key info and then try doing some timed practice essays which you could ask your teacher if they'd be willing to mark.
Reply 15
Original post by iqra_xoxoxoxox
When did you start revising

It's always good to revise as you go along. Once I finished learning a topic I would make revision resources for it (usually flashcards) and make sure I knew the content. However, if you haven't started revising already I would say it could be good to start now, the earlier the better:smile:
I got 11 grade 9’s, don’t ask me anything 😎
(edited 2 years ago)
While this is the case,

I'm sorry you cannot be sure you would have got these grades - real exams are different to mocks. The HUGE grade inflation is proof of that - especialy from Private schools.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
I'm sorry you cannot be sure you would have got these grades - real exams are different to mocks. The HUGE grade inflation is proof of that - especialy from Private schools.

It goes without saying that I could never claim to be 100% certain that I would have achieved these grades if I had done the real exams, simply because I did not do the real exams. However, mocks in timed conditions, under teacher supervision, using official GCSE questions are a pretty accurate replica and I had been achieving similar grades from the start of year 11, suggesting my predicted grades were representative of my ability. My school was specially commended by the Department of Education for being realistic with their grades and ensuring that they were in line with the averages of previous years. Furthermore, I don't go to a private school.
(edited 2 years ago)
Would you call yourself a nerd?

Latest