The Student Room Group

is pay as you go better or sim only contract?

title

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your needs and the packet. What do they offer, for how much and how often do you use data/unlimited calls?
Reply 2
better value for money and in terms of data, minutes and texts. As in say you only use a sim for the data and not much for texts and calls?
Reply 3
Original post by Jaciruyi8
Depends on your needs and the packet. What do they offer, for how much and how often do you use data/unlimited calls?

I had a pay as you go pack but now felt pressured into sim only contract with EE, both pay as you go and sim only contract offered unlimited texts, calls and data. I was spending £30 for £15 pay as you go packs on 2 phones that I have, now I have a £10 sim only contract on one phone and £16 sim only contract on one phone making that £26 in total that I am spending over 2 years. I use data all the time so I can use the data up (otherwise I would just be using WiFi), and the whole reason I got a sim was because sometimes I do need to make calls.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I always have data left over on my pay as you go pack with £15 so what makes them think I am going to use 150GB a month?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
or do they want to make money secretly somehow?

I’m not even working so is that going to be a problem, especially because they may be cutting universal credit?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anon346775
I had a pay as you go pack but now felt pressured into sim only contract with EE, both pay as you go and sim only contract offered unlimited texts, calls and data. I was spending £30 for £15 pay as you go packs on 2 phones that I have, now I have a £10 sim only contract on one phone and £16 sim only contract on one phone making that £26 in total that I am spending over 2 years. I use data all the time so I can use the data up (otherwise I would just be using WiFi), and the whole reason I got a sim was because sometimes I do need to make calls.

Sounds like the sim contract is a better option: cheaper and more efficient as you don’t feel the need to use up your data. Just make sure the data the contract offers lasts you enough.
Reply 7
thats what I mean. Its a scam and a dodgy way for them to make money. Why would you pay for stuff you don’t use?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Despite repeating it and saying I won’t use it they made me go on the sim only contract and they just repeat the terms and conditions again and again.

What happens if you don’t use it up in the time (2 years)?
Reply 9
Why? do they have an unlimited supply of money?

I am practically bankrupt just relying on parents and universal credit to live and looking for work.
My experience with sim contracts is poor. It was a hassle trying to leave my last one with Three.

Pay as you go works for me now.
So if what I have paid is gone, how does that make sim only contracts better? Does it get rolled over to another year if I renewed the contract? Can you cancel the contract?
(edited 2 years ago)
Is there an option to cancel the contract?

They always do stuff to benefit them, and act like they care about their customers.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you are short on money, I'd suggest the first thing you consider is whether you really need two phones with similar contracts - maybe you can have a minimal contract / PAYG package for one, or get rid of it altogether. Like everyone else has said, what package is best is going to depend on you. There is no one "best option".
Original post by skylark2
If you are short on money, I'd suggest the first thing you consider is whether you really need two phones with similar contracts - maybe you can have a minimal contract / PAYG package for one, or get rid of it altogether. Like everyone else has said, what package is best is going to depend on you. There is no one "best option".

For now I have 2 phones but my main phone is not going to last long as the battery sometimes goes at 30% and its an iphone 6S that came out in 2015 and its second hand so its going to go anyway thats why I bought a first hand updated android phone recently so when this one stops working I will have my brand new phone that won’t ever slow down because its android.

they said I can share the data out between both phones and connected it to one account.
For now I have 2 phones but my main phone is not going to last long as the battery sometimes goes at 30% and its an iphone 6S that came out in 2015 and its second hand so its going to go anyway thats why I bought a first hand updated android phone recently so when this one stops working I will have my brand new phone that won’t ever slow down because its android.

I don't understand why you'd pay for two contracts. Just have a contract for the one you're using.
I don't understand why you'd pay for two contracts. Just have a contract for the one you're using.

I use both but more the old phone.
title

Pay up front is better than having to pay regularly on a monthly basis.
I prefer pay as you go and weekly/monthly packages.
That said, I don't own a smartphone or use wifi.

Running two smartphones on monthly contract when you are on a limited income and not working is a big risk to take.
Have you considered switching one phone's sim to a basic call & text phone and save the money that you would have spent for emergencies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending