The Student Room Group

Getting an A* in OCR A, A level Chemistry

Hello all,
I’m in year 13 right now and have received offers from universities which expect me to get an A* in chemistry. The lates exam I gave, I got a B, I’m not sure how to bump up my grade and it is really worrying me
Any help, solution or past experiences and stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Original post by ajitgholkar
Hello all,
I’m in year 13 right now and have received offers from universities which expect me to get an A* in chemistry. The lates exam I gave, I got a B, I’m not sure how to bump up my grade and it is really worrying me
Any help, solution or past experiences and stories would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Hi there

Ensuring you have clear and concise notes which you can add to can be an important revision tool for you.

Once you're comfortable with all content, due as many past papers as possible to help improve exam technique and identify weaknesses which you can then work on.

Hope this helps :smile:
Good luck.
Hey there,

I’ve always found practicing exam questions over and over has helped me. You could start by attempting the more difficult questions with your notes and then build from there. The textbook also has lots of questions which can help and I’m sure your teacher wouldn’t mind giving you some questions to work on. This method may not work for you but it may be worth a try. Hope this is useful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there

Ensuring you have clear and concise notes which you can add to can be an important revision tool for you.

Once you're comfortable with all content, due as many past papers as possible to help improve exam technique and identify weaknesses which you can then work on.

Hope this helps :smile:
Good luck.

thanks for the prompt reply and advice
Reply 4
Original post by another_student7
Hey there,

I’ve always found practicing exam questions over and over has helped me. You could start by attempting the more difficult questions with your notes and then build from there. The textbook also has lots of questions which can help and I’m sure your teacher wouldn’t mind giving you some questions to work on. This method may not work for you but it may be worth a try. Hope this is useful :smile:

thanks for that, I'll definitely ask my teacher
I only got an A so maybe this isn’t what you’re after but I found actually putting in the effort to understand the concept opposed to memorising mark schemes from past papers helpful.

I found myself able to answer more complex application questions with a broader knowledge.
Reply 6
past paper questions, + do all the textbook questions. There's a really great CGP guide for A level chemistry questions too if you run out of qs to do, which you can order on Amazon. Flashcards are great for revising the content, + refer to the spec so you know you're covering everything they can ask you.
Reply 7
Original post by ajitgholkar
Hello all,

Thank you

After you do a past paper seek help marking it. If you write down a perfect answer, mark it correct. If you get it obviously wrong, then you know that is something you need to work on. If you write something and you're not sure whether it is right or wrong, don't do what most students do and give yourself the benefit of the doubt - the "Oh that's what I meant to put, so I'll give myself the mark" attitude.

Go see your teacher and say, "I've marked this paper I did, but I've got a few answers that I'm not sure whether they're right or wrong, can you help me?" And if you're organised, e.g. if you have those lovely coloured sticky notes telling you which page to go to, what teacher can refuse?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending