The Student Room Group

Unconditional Offers

Hi, I was wondering why do some unis offer unconditional offers to students. What do they look for which determines that they can receive an unconditional offer?
Original post by Yaz013
Hi, I was wondering why do some unis offer unconditional offers to students. What do they look for which determines that they can receive an unconditional offer?

My daughter received unconditonal offers from 3 unis because she applied with achieved A levels. More likely to get a conditional offer if grades are predicted. Conditional on a achieving the grades
Reply 2
It's very unlikely to receive unconditional offers as the majority of applicants will have not sat their exams when sending a UCAS application.
Because those qualifications are 'pending', unis will give conditional offers because they don't know whether or not you'll actually meet their entry requirements.

The two main reasons unconditional offers are given are,
1) The university has low entry requirements, so outcomes on qualifications wouldn't really have a big standing on entrance
or
2) Applicants are applying with achieved grades, as opposed to predicted. For example, I achieved 3-A levels last year, and I am currently taking an additional A-level this year on my gap year (pending). Because I already met the entry requirements for one of my courses, I was given an unconditional offer :smile:. So if you applied with achieved grades, you are more likely to receive an unconditional because your place isn't 'riding' on anything.

If you are looking for ways to potentially get an unconditional offer, if the two points above do not apply to you, it's pretty much not going to happen. Instead, you should be hoping for / trying to reduce your offer conditions. This is something which is more common.

Hope that helps :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
They are desperate for students, either overall or for that course.
Its isnt because they specifically want you - anyone who was upright and breathing would do.
Reply 4
A student I taught about five years ago got an unconditional from one of the Cambridge colleges to study engineering.

In his case, he simply was that good. One of the brightest kids I've ever taught.
Original post by Pigster
A student I taught about five years ago got an unconditional from one of the Cambridge colleges to study engineering.

Which, as I'm sure you realise, was/is exceptionally unusual.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Which, as I'm sure you realise, was/is exceptionally unusual.

Very unusual. I teach in one of the top ten schools in the UK and it is fairly rare for any of our students to get unconditional offers (most only apply to the top universities, whatever that means). So to have one with an unconditional from a good Cambridge college to do a competitive subject like engineering is unheard of.
Reply 7
In Scotland we sit our SQA Highers (the usual university currency for Scottish students) in S5 and usually apply for university in S6. We are therefore typically applying with achieved grades from S5. If a course requires Advanced Highers for entry which we do in S6 (e.g. medicine) these would still be predicted and any offer is likely to be conditional. We can also top up our Highers in S6 for additional subjects or stronger results if required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending