The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Asking for lower grade requirements

I am waiting for a decision on BSc Natural Sciences but the standard grade requirements are A*AA. I am an international student going to a school in England and I have been seriously impacted by the pandemic as i have spent most of my two years remote learning due to travel rules and restrictions. I know this issue was meant to be combatted by the advanced info released by exam boards but this information was rather unfavorable, especially for the subjects that I am doing. At this moment, I think it will be extremely hard to meet the entry requirements for the course and I am already working at my absolute hardest! Do you think it would be at all possible to email admissions explaining my situation and see if they would consider giving me lower grade requirements in the situation that they give me an offer? I have an A* in EPQ as well if that helps.

Does anyone have an email for durham admissions/natural science admissions? can't find it anywhere on their website
Original post by maxcovel39
I am waiting for a decision on BSc Natural Sciences but the standard grade requirements are A*AA. I am an international student going to a school in England and I have been seriously impacted by the pandemic as i have spent most of my two years remote learning due to travel rules and restrictions. I know this issue was meant to be combatted by the advanced info released by exam boards but this information was rather unfavorable, especially for the subjects that I am doing. At this moment, I think it will be extremely hard to meet the entry requirements for the course and I am already working at my absolute hardest! Do you think it would be at all possible to email admissions explaining my situation and see if they would consider giving me lower grade requirements in the situation that they give me an offer? I have an A* in EPQ as well if that helps.

Does anyone have an email for durham admissions/natural science admissions? can't find it anywhere on their website

https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/ask-us/

May be useful? :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Sorry this is a waste of time - your reference should have included any specific issues you've faced. Your school could write an additional letter but your best approach is to work as hard as you can. Remember the grades awarded will be more generous than 2019 ...
You can ask, but almost every applicant will have spent a big chunk of the past two years learning remotely. It's unlikely that your situation is so special that you will get special treatment. Hopefully at least some of your other university choices have lower requirements.
Exactly the same advice applies as your nearly identical recent thread about Imperial.

Hey there @maxcovel39, I'm sorry to know you're having a hard time :frown:

Covid has definitely been a deal-breaker for most of the students and taken a toll on students. If you have any personal mitigating circumstances, Durham can give you a contextual offer with lower entry requirements. To be considered for that, you do have to meet the other admission requirements and more importance is then given to your personal statement and references.

However, I'm not sure if remote learning is a sufficient enough reason for a contextual offer because students were affected by it on a large scale. Don't be discouraged though, you should call the admissions team and discuss this situation in-depth with them. There's no direct phone line available at the moment but you can live chat with them or request a callback here (https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/ask-us/)

Let me know if that helps :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest