The Student Room Group

Photography beginners

I want to start photography but I never did and I don’t know how to start and where to start so can someone please guide me how to do so and if there’s a website or book for guidance please let me know
Reply 1
Hi,

I would recommend starting by just using the automatic setting on the camera and taking photos from different perspectives, angles, framings, scenes etc. and getting some nice shots.

After you have done this, I would say try using the priority modes on your camera. What these modes do is help you learn how to adjust your settings one at a time. For example, if you wanted to experiment changing your shutter speed, you put it on shutter priority mode. The camera then adjusts the ISO and aparture for you. This helps as the three main things you can adjust on a camera is ISO, shutter speed, and aparture, but they work together so the camera helps you out by allowing you just to change one.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anymore questions,
Tom
Original post by shybutterfly
I want to start photography but I never did and I don’t know how to start and where to start so can someone please guide me how to do so and if there’s a website or book for guidance please let me know

Hi there!
I have been into photography for quite a while. Before you buy a camera, I recommend you experiment with your phone. The filters can make really good photos by themselves and there are plenty of free apps. I recommend Polish for a good photo editing app, and it's free
There are a few different recommended magazines on the subject. I recommend going to a camera store in town and then asking for tailored staff expert tips and helpful advice on cameras. Experiment to find the best camera that is currently out there.
You can also even find some useful advice books on photography at your local high street bookshop or library as well. To find out about any photography courses, look for course information online.
Make some short notes on your findings. Talk to other people who do or study photography either professionally full time as a active career or as a off duty part time creative recreational hobby. Good luck.
Read up on the different cameras which are on sale, look at the reviews. Then you can decide. Attend photography workshops to learn new skills. Buy a camera either offline or on Amazon.
Enter a handful of current national competitions being held. Obtain professional support and advice to get started.

Quick Reply

Latest